Panasonic TX36PL32 for £498

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Guy Fox, Nov 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Guy Fox

Guy Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete newbie to this forum malarkey I just thought I'd pass on what appears to be a good deal. I've just bought a TX36PL32 with stand from Currys for £498 (they included delivery for free as well). If it hadn't been for the forum and reviews I'd have had no idea whether this was good or not.
    They say they don't have many left and I couldn't find it on their online shop so I assume it's a store deal. My local store is at Fosse Park, Leicester - I don't know if it's available everywhere (obviously).
    Thanks to everyone whose comments helped me decide - hope I'm as chuffed after it arrives........

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :Hiya: and welcome to the forums :smashin:

Definatly sounds like a good deal and I hope your happy with your purchase. When you have had some time to get to grips with it maybe you would write a review of it for other forum members. :thumbsup:

3. Guy Fox

Guy Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    yes, I'd be pleased to - I can't claim to be as au fait with TV technology as a lot of your contributors seem to be though!

4. bigbamboo

bigbamboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guy,
    Much like you i am going to buy a Panasonic 36inch crt
    Have you got it yet and if so how good is it.
    I am bidding on one on ebay at the moment for £400 if i dont get it i will try currys as you suggest. Let me know Davey.

5. Guy Fox

Guy Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BigBamboo

it arrived on Friday, nicely within the slot they'd promised. It is VERY big and VERY heavy (89kg it says on the box) but then our previous one was a 28" Hitachi. The picture quality I have to say, is extremely good, but then again that was what had impressed us in the showroom. I haven't had time to play around with the controls to see how much difference they make to one's 'experience' but so far I'm very, very pleased. The box itself looks very smart, maybe not the most important factor but being that big and in full view you don't want it to look an eyesore.
    I think the sound is very good but as I'm not a home cinema buff the more discerning might be more demanding, but there again I'd struggle with spending over a thousand quid on a telly which I gather this one was twelve months ago.
    As I've said before, I'm not a purist, so I don't know how it compares with the Toshiba which seems to be the most popular alternative according to the Forums, but it certainly seems to be well worth the money.
    If you haven't looked at the reviews on this site already then I'd recommend that you do because they're much more technical and objective and also tell you about features that I didn't even know were available.

Hope this is of help, if you do get one I'd be interested in what you think too.

Regards.

6. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I recently bought one of these sets (new off eBay for £435) and the following may be helpful. Firstly, I can recommend visiting the reviews that can be accessed from the Home Cinema Choice site, which I have found to be very helpful and accurate in my experience of this TV.

Yes, it is a big beast - it's 82 kg once you remove it from the box, so make sure you use the supplied stand or that your chosen AV stand can take the weight. This set is ideal for those who will be using a surround sound system from an amp, because its onboard sound is not where it's strengths lie. In fact, I reckon Panasonic produced this set up specifically to provide superb picture quality but saving on the cost of sound quality, just for the amplifier guys like me.

If you have component output, either from your DVD player or from your amp, this set sparkles. Even my wife was gobsmacked at how the picture came alive. Even with RGB SCART the picture quality is impressive and this set seems to be less adversely affected by digital artifacts than some of the other leading sets.

In a nutshell, if you only need a brilliant picture (especially if you can use component input) this set must be the bargain of the year. One of my friends reckons it's better than his new Pioneer plasma screen in terms of picture quality, and he's now a bit miffed (I think he spent around £2,000). It's cheaper than the competitors because it doesn't shine on sound.

Hope that helps.

7. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got my PL32 about 6 weeks ago (well when it came out anyway), love it, got it for the £500 figure and consider it the bargain of the year. Can not see how i could get all this pic quality for such a small amount of cash. I too have an amp and speakers so the sound is of no importance. I kept the stand unboxed as i have a alphason unit for the rather massive centre speaker i have. all in all, bloody great.

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I must admit I've seen a few of these hanging around in Currys and learning that it also accepts a component i/p I thought it was a very good deal. The picture quality of the ones I've seen seem ok but I'd consider it to be markedly inferior, clarity and sharpness wise to my Panny 32PD50 along with the appalling sound I heard to. Going on looks, picture and sound give me my panny anyday. Advantage here of course is it's 36inch screen and I dare say no annoying faint flickery lines on the picture from time to time.

9. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you saying you still have the stand unused and boxed? I'm thinking of modding mine to a 2 shelf to allow a centre as well as my AV equipment. I'll go and have a measure up and see if it can be done. Would you be interested in parting with it?

10. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

It weights a ton !!! But all said, i think i would be advised to keep it as when i come to upgrade i assume any new owner would want a stand to put it on and i will be keeping my Alphason for the Plasma of the day, but thanks for the request and good luck.

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    I got one about 3 or 4 months ago the 1st time Currys reduced the price to £499 for a 3 days period. A lot of other site members also bought it and if you do a search within the forum you will find all our thoughts on it back then.

I am still delighted with the deal and the great value I got. My logic is that it will do me OK for a couple of years until plasma/LCD get down in price to a reasonable level or the technology gets even better, because as has been entioned above, a plasma cannot compete with the picture quality of a top CRT set - yet anyway !!

If anyone is interested in buying this set from Currys website you can always gets voucher codes to save you some more money. One that was working last week was CURRYS25 which took off £25 on purchases over £400.

Just search the net for voucher codes and you should find the latest that are still working.