Panasonic TX36PL32 £499 at currys - what do you think?

Just got slightly disappointing news from another part of this forum.

I have been using a Sony DAV-S500 all-in-one DVD system for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. It was professionally chipped and has played every single disc I have ever tried on it. I have the speakers laid out around the room and although not a big lover of action films and sound effects, still enjoy having surround sound in my living room. It is also a good SACD player (although I don't use it for this much) and FM tuner.

Now on to the problem. All the reviews I read about the telly said to try, if possible, to feed it a progressive scan picture via the component sockets. My Sony is not progressive scan and, due to its small size, does not have a SCART. It uses S-Video output into a SCART on the back of the TV.

So if I want to make the most of my DVD viewing I really need to sell the system on and either buy a separate DVD player like the Tosh or the Pioneer DV-575. However, I will then only get sound from the TV. The best option, and unfortunately most expensive, would be to sell my current system and then buy another one with progressive scan and component output.

But I am wondering if its really worth it?

SOK said:
But I am wondering if its really worth it?

Yes without a doubt, componant inputs are what these TVs are all about ;) I tested a tosh 36zp a few months ago and the picture was a1!! Do what I'm about to do, get down tesco and buy a tosh 150 that has component, get down to argos and buy the hitachai 3 rca jack to 3 rca jacks for £8 (i tested them and they are brill 4the money) and hook that up, then, if you want sort out the sound area go for it, but for me the PQ is the most important and I will be feeding the sound through my normal hifi for now which is pretty ok too :)

I will consider that. I notice that the Tesco website does not list the Tosh 150. I might have to call my local and see if they have it in.

I suppose I could then feed the sound from the Tosh back into my Sony amp and make use of the speakers that are already set up.

When I was saying that if I wondered if it was all worth it, I was just thinking that a lot of times in CD, DVD systems the difference is very minimal and not really worth the expense. Will there be a really noticeable difference in using progressive scan into component sockets over S-Video into SCARt on back of TV?

SOK said:
Will there be a really noticeable difference in using progressive scan into component sockets over S-Video into SCARt on back of TV?

Yes ;)

You might need to find a tesco extra store. i just looke don their website and its gone too! (was there a few days ago i think) am pretty sure I saw one in a tesco extra so going to get one tonight after the rush hour :)

Raze

Perhaps you could answer this question that I posted in the 'DVD PLAYERS' forum.

"I noticed the spec for the SD150 said that it has PAL Progressive Scan.

Does this mean that if you get the machine multi-region that it won't play NTSC in Progressive Scan?"

Another problem with buying this Tosh is that a lot of my DVDs are R1!! Perhaps I should look into the Pioneer DV575 instead.

Many players are only capable of progressive in one format or another - PAL or NTSC. This appears to be the case with the Toshiba. I posted further up about a Pioneer DVD player that is capable of both - very good if you can stretch the budget to it.

off topic but anyway...can the tosh 150e play divx?

I did a head to head that was the 575 versus the toshiba 240 and they are both excellent (and both as far as I remb output pal and ntsc prog scan).

They both had their minus points, the 575 flickered but had a 'lush' picture, the 240 displayed the blacks a bit to 'light' but again had an excellent pic.

By looking at this TV very quickly I'd say either of the above would be a good match because, the panny already has quite an emphasis on blacks, plus it has a flicker reduction option. If both players worked without the mentioned negatives on this TV and I had to choose, it would be the Pioneer because the overal 'feel' just tops it ;)

dsbaker said:
Well...according to this site (http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm) the Tosh is both NTSC and PAL progressive. Looks a decent player for £39.99!

TBH I thought it would be able to handle PS on both pal and Ntsc (they cant advertise it cos theyre not meant to sell multi region out of the box...)

In reference to the post above about scrapping the Sony all-in-one system, have you considered moving up to an amp/speaker combo? I've recently changed my Pioneer all-in one (NS-DV99 - excellent in itself) to a Yamaha/Kef setup and the difference is astounding.

With the kinds of offers Richer Sounds have on you could probably get the DVD, amp and a set of decent speakers for £200-250. It sounds a lot but really makes a difference - especially when paired with the Panny TV as it gives quite a "cinematic" feel to everything.

I'll get me coat...

Just to add that I've just received a call saying my TV is ready to be picked up. The muppets won't deliver it to my flat as it's in another store's catchment area or something and is a whopping great 3 miles away!

Those of you who've received your sets, do you think the box is too big to fit through the sliding door / boot of a people carrier?

I bloody hope not, I have to squeeze it into the back of a C3!

Interested to see how the dvd player discussion pans out, the telly does PAL and NTSC prog scan so it would be a shame to restrict it to just one mode.

You will be very pushed to get it boxed in any car - it's huge. Don't forget the TV alone weighs 82Kg and the stand 19Kg. When I had mine delivered earlier this year it came in a van but had to be unboxed on the drive as it wouldn't get through the front door!

Slimchandi - just so you know, the TV is unboxed as it was simply too massive too keep - the polystyrene alone takes up ridiculous amounts of space. The stand is still boxed and unopened though.

do u want me to measure the box for you? I 'think' it was 800 x 800...

Nog said:
do you think the box is too big to fit through the sliding door / boot of a people carrier?

I wouldn't like to say a flat "no" but I think you'll be very, very pushed. Depends how spacious the vehicle is. This TV is immense boxed.

Ok good news about the box at least, wouldn't have known what to do with it all! So I'll go with the measurements given for the TV on reviews to get an idea of if it will fit. And bring a large roll of bubble wrap as well I suppose.

Anyway there are discussions afoot this end of using a van as we have to get a sofa up there anyway. Seems like a wasted opportunity if we didn't use if for the telly as well.

Slimchandi said:
there are discussions afoot this end of using a van as we have to get a sofa up there anyway. Seems like a wasted opportunity if we didn't use if for the telly as well.

It will make life a lot easier for you - especially getting it back out at your end!

For everyone's info:

the boxed 36" is : 44inch (W) x 31in (H) x 31in (D). BIG !!

:censored: me! Hope I can get it unboxed through the door ok.

CRT's are ok to be rotated aren't they? I know plasmas don't like it but I'm ok to put it on it's side for a bit?

Argh! Got it wrong, tescos sell the 145e and not the 150!! The 145 does not have progressive scan! :9 So i ended up getting a crappy phillips at £49 and it's going str8 back! it flickers!!

Apart from that at least the TV looks like a good un ;)
But will have to get a 150 or a 350 from somewhere to have a proper test...
Hows everyone else doing?

ok if the 150e can play divx can anyone clarify wot is the difference between the 150e and 350e???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom