panasonic TX36PL30 or pb50 ??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by teknosys, Dec 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is the best choice of 36in set. I am going to use AV kit.
    panasonic TX36PL30 or PB 50???? or SonyFS70
    I have narrowed it down to these 3,
    regards Eddie

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get the 32PB, i have one and its perfect.
    Dolby digital sound/dts/PIP, good connections.
    and the best price.
    got one from empiredirect,

3. Rosco

Rosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had delivered a TX36PL30 and I'm chuffed to bits, no problems so far, i've got a seperate sound system so the pb50 would have been wasted on me.
    Got it from Empire at a fraction over £1400.

Ross:D

4. nskins

nskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PL or PB....that is the question!! in 36in that is.

I have exactly the same dilemma.
    Whatvideotv.com have just issued a 'Best Buy' report on the PB but as yet I have not seen any review of the PL.

My dilemma is therefore this - is the technology within the PL regarding picture performance/quality exactly the same as the PB?

I.E. the only diff is the technology used for sound. Like you I have my own separate amp/speakers so sound is not a real requirement - in fact its superfluous.

Empiredirect.co.uk would seem cheapest at £1367 + delivery (£50) for PL and £1755 + delivery for PB. And it's great to understand that others have ordered from Empire seemingly without issue.

If only I knew the picture quality is identical I'd order the PL tomorrow.

From reading the reviews concerning 36in TVs it would seem that a number of them have minor issues - perhaps you have to be fortunate to land a perfect set on Day 1.

Regarding Sony and Panny, although I am a Sony fan when it comes to a natural picture Panny wins hands-down for me.

Views appreciated to help me decide.

:confused:

5. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi I’m trying to establish if the 32 PB 50 has a bowing effect in the bottom right of the screen before I make the decision to buy 1.
    I viewed a 32 PB 50 on display at Cu**ys & as soon as the volume bar popped up I noticed that it bent down quite a lot at the right hand side of the screen.

Is this apparent on your set ?
    Maybe the set that I viewed was just badly set up from the factory.

Regards, Tel.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no my one does not have this bowing effect at all, but i shall double check and reply tomorrow.
    i had to get mine peplaced as there was a buzzing noise coming from the tv (quite common i hear) but the new set has no buzz/probs and is fine.

7. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    praju thanks 4 your reply.

If this bowing / bending affect is not on you 32 PB 50 it could well be that the 1 that I viewed was just a badly adjusted set.
    To tell the truth I’m stuck between the 32 PL4 (50 Hz / DPL £838.18 @ Empire direct) & the 32 PB50 (£1,149.28) the bowing effect had sort of put me off the PB, but if it’ s only an adjustment issue well then I will start to try & justify the extra £300 to Her in doors. :D

Look forward to you post, Tel. :cool:

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no bowing effect at all.
    in fact no probs.
    best way to check is stick the star wars dvd in and go to the THX optimizer.
    good luck.

9. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony KV36FS for 4weeks - pic was ok but easily affected by ext speakers - a yellow tint was apparent. Sent it back as I wanted my speakers about 3ft away - this was in the effect area.

Got a Panasonic TX36PB50 as it's reviews were so good plus EISA award. Immediately very pleased with the picture quality. Much more natural than the Sony (it also has 2 RGB inputs - this is VERY important for me as digital SKy and DVD wanted).

I had one niggle (and actually still do). The engineer called an hour ago and couldn't fix it. While the picture is very sharp and testcard displayed well, there is a sort of bowing effect at the top of the screen. This is caused (he said) by the mask shape. It is slightly curved down at the top corners. ie the black border between lit up phosphor dots and the edge of the screen is about 2mm taller at L and R of the top border than in the center of the top border. IS THIS NORMAL SOMEONE!?? The engineer said he thought the picture was excellent and that he'd be happy with this. Does anyone else have this I wonder?

I wish I could attach a picture to the post (can we do that?) to illustrate the problem (if it is one).

Otherwise I love this TV. For a 36", the picture is the best I've seen.

Pat

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, maybe this effect happens more on the larger 36" model, but as far the 32" is concerned i havn'e had any procblems.
    i do have the 'geomat' set at -1 though.

11. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>stick the star wars dvd in and go to the THX optimizer
    Praju,
    what is this - does it display a test card or something? Can it help setup AV system as well? I have a Denon 3802 with two sets of rears and am at a bit of a loss to optimise the setup. (Ordered the test DVDs recommended elsewhere but they're out of stock)
    Pat

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes on the star wars and T2 DVDs there is the lucasfilm THX optimizer.
    It sets everything for audio (sound tests, distance tests, speaker tests) and video (contrast, brightness, sharpness, convergence errors)

i've just gone through this and adjusted my settings and left it as that.

13. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    praju
    which Star Wars disk pls?
    Pat

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Star Wars Ep 1 Phantom Menace of course!
    (disk 1)

15. Lordie

Lordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO NOT BUY A PB50. I have had 2 28" and 2 32" models and all of them have been faulty. I have been getting high pitch whinning noise from the screen (not sound, even appears when muted) when bright colours appear. This happens even when brightness and contrast are adjusted. My local Panasonic engineer has told me that the PB50 range seems to be having a lot of problems and Panasonic are close to recalling the 28" version due to noise and picture problems!!

Now buying a Sony instead.

Happy viewing

Paul

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe, mine had that problem, so i had it replaced and my new one has no probs . i suppose u have to be lucky, but its not just panasonics, it seems all the brands have this noise.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Panasonic to find out if the TX36PL30/PB50 is any different from the much critisised TX36PG50. The answer is NO, the chassis is the same!

So what the TX36PG50 get slated in reviews and the TX36PB50 gets plaudits.

Come on you wonderful HCC and What Video reviewers, give us an answer!

18. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, this bugs me too!. I'm tired of people describing the PG50s as
    ' awful' and then saying how they are going to go for the PB50 because of the rave reviews. A panasonic engineer told me himself that they have the same chassis!

19. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    praju,
    OK I've bought the Star Wats Ep1 Phantom Menace - stuffed disk 1 in and looked for the THX optimiser - can't see it - is it a chapter?
    Don't want to watch the film till it's optimised!
    Pat

Ref the previous post, I think you have to try one and see. It's all opinions. I will rate JohnLewis very highly tho. They swapped my Sony without question after 28days and their engineer has been prompt and helpful.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I very much doubt if Panasonic would openly admit that the PGs were "duffers", otherwise they'd have every owner asking for their money back! It does make you wonder why they released to seemingly indentical models in the space of 6 months if the initial one didn't/doesn't have problems?

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    star wars disk 1, go to 'language' option.
    then you will see the THX symbol, just select and click on this.

22. dvdking

dvdking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

23. Shultz

Shultz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about the PG50 & PB50 where the mags are concerned, I picked up 2 different ones & they both slated the "poor" picture quality of the TX32PB50C, but on looking at the back of the mags for past review scores both loved the TX32PG50, which most people in this forum seemed to hate???? I have a Tosh 36ZP18P atm, its crap! Basically it shows 4 of the classic 6 problems this TV has :( Its going back but I don't know what to get, I can't afford the 36" version of the panny, but I was thinking of getting the 32" until I read those reviews?? It seems to be mixed in this thread to whether you are lucky on getting a good panny or not? Can anybody help me a little more on this please?

Cheers Shultz.

24. Shultz

Shultz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have the service menu codes for the TX32PB50C please? I have slight bowing top middle/bottom middle on mine?

Cheers Shultz.

25. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I had the 36pg50 so assume same way in
    On the remote control set Bass to max, treb to min.
    Hold down index button on remote and the minus button on front of the tv at the same time. To move about menu and make changes use the four coloured buttons on the remote. To save settings press STR and to exit press N.

Standard warning:
    It is advisable to only alter what you know AND to write down previous settings just in case.
    :p

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

First of all - congratulation to everyone for making this forum really useful and intersting. I am looking for my first w/s telly and have been quite amased about the problems with the various sets.

I originally was going to buy a panny 32PB50 but was put off by one magazine slating the sound quality.

I then considered the Hitachi 36" WS and the Toshiba 36". Initially I was attracted to them by some of the rave reviews they have received in some of the mags. I was put off by the other thread in this forum on the Tosh and by a comment that a retailer made to me

"The Tosh build quality is very poor" he said - whilst flexing the flimsy top-front of a toshiba TV that was sitiing close by. He also told me that the picture quality of the Hitachi for Analogue TV reception was not as good as panny/sony/philips. I must say that I did share his views on the Hitachi picture quality. I just spent 30 minutes in Currys playing around with the settings and I could honestly say that I could not get the picture to be as good as the Sony and the Tosh that were next to it - no matter what I tried.

I then favoured the Philips 9616 but have been a bit put off by the fact that the RF speakers seem to have some problems - particularly some buzzing and hissing (I have heard this from 2 different sources).

I'm now back on to the Panasonic 32PB50 and will make my final choice in the new year when, hopefully, some better deals will be around.

Anyway - I e-mailed Panasonic in order to clarify the difference between the PB50 and the PG50 and this is the response I received (see very end of post).

Keep up the good work everyone. I can only hope that there are thousands of "good" sets out there that we never hear about on the forum - otherwise the WS TV manufacturers have a real problem on their hands.

PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry,

The differences between the PG and the PB series is mainly cosmetic, apart
    from a slight improvement in sound and picture quality on the newer PB
    range.

Trusting that the above information will be of assistance to you., however,
    should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 08705 357357 or E-mail us at [email protected]

Kind Regards
    Customer Support

27. randallp

randallp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My observation (for what it's worth) is that there are some sets that are just not quite up to spec within the same model line. I guess it's down to quality control. Especially on 36" sets which are pushing what's possible.

John Lewis deleivered my 3rd Panasonic 36PB50 and it is much better than the first one I had. The second went phut 2minutes into burn... I've spent some time setting it up with a test DVD and the picture is great. No, its GREAT! At last.

There are still minor linearity errors right at the edges when you look at the grid tests but convergence is much better and the the top bow, although still there, is much less pronounced. I think this one is well in spec. I will get the engineer to adjust it a little but now I know the engineer mode codes maybe I'll try myself.
    Even if it stayed as it is I am at last VERY HAPPY.

Thanks to all the posts and suggestions on these fora. (ums?)
    Pat

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you publish the codes and commands so that I can make a note of them for future reference.

Cheers,

Paul