1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX36PD50

Discussion in 'TVs' started by machinehead, Oct 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    this new crt from panasonic caught my eye limited information on it yet,although i do know it has5 scarts.has anyone any knoledge on this model

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It has 4 scarts. :cool:

3. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i stand corrected can you please give me any more info on it thanks
    regards machinehead

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it uses same acuity chassis (probably improved) that the PD30/veira range has..... hopefully they will let it use the full resolution of the Quintrix SR tube unlike the PD30

5. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hornydragon - please elaborate (as I'm a PD30 owner!)

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    RohanM,

I understand that the Panny Acuity in the USA is an HD model, using the SR tube but different electronics.

When the PD30 was released in the UK there were vague mutterings about it being upgradable to HD (but don't hold your breath!).

Perhaps HornyDragon can elaborate on this.

Incidentally, there was another thread about this recently, including a picture.

Search for "32PD50".

Hope this helps. :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pd30 will scale all video to the 1125(1080i) format there being 1080ish vertical lines of phospur in the Quintrix SR Tube.......But if you feed the set 720p or 1080i video via component it wont work........... As i understand it..... JVC who use the same Tubes in their DIST set do alllow for 1080i inputs on euromodels

8. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just purchased a tx36pd50 and ,being a bit of an AV novice, would like some advice on how to connect and set up my sky+ ps2 and pioneer 565 dvd player for the best results. any info would be greatly appriciated!

Also if I set my 565 to progressive output using on screen menus the screen gos blank what am I doing wrong?

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any chance of some pictures? On screen menu's and general pictures would be great :smashin:

10. zlatan-italian

zlatan-italian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pd50 support 720p aand1 1080i for the in future in the games and films?

11. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The pd50 has the following scan modes in the onscreen picture menu;

100Hz
    100Hz plus
    75/833i ( I have no idea what this is!!!)
    progressive

Hope this helps u

12. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I did try to take some pictures but they came out pants! :suicide:

But I will say that at the begining I wasn't impressed by the picture but after some picture adjustments i'm now very happy.
    I'm going to try a setup disc pretty soon.

I'm very new to AV so excuse me if I sound stupid but please ask meany questions you have and i'll try to help

13. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats me any questions, now mean ones! lol

14. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    what is the picture like on analogue?,via sky,via a dvd player?.some pics would be appreciated.was there much setting up contrast, brightness ect.

15. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The analouge picture is a little bit shimmery even after a few tweeks ( the contrast comes set at max) but still very good.

Via sky+ there is geat deal of improvment but only after some tweeks(maxed out contrast again). Me personally I like a fairly soft picture.
    So.....contrast set just below halfway
    Sharpness also taken back
    Colour balence to warm
    Again to me this is okay but it's a matter of personal taste and I'm a bit of a novice to picture tunning.
    Via my pioneer 565 dvd the picture is better still but have yet to get a setup disc to do the job properly.
    I will also likely upgrade to the 575 pioneer to make use of pal progresive scan.

16. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a TX32PD50 and it seems fine at the moment. For the past 4 years I've been watching a Matsui 15" portable so haven't got much to go by in terms of comparison.

I have just received the PAL DVE disc so that I can setup the picture and geometry properly. Unfortunately, I have previously fiddled with geometry in the service menu without recording original numbers. Probably not a big problem so long as I end up with a satisfactory result.

From reading the posts in other threads, I have come up with the following summary/conclusions which I hope some of you may comment on/confirm etc:

Geometry needs to be set for each SCAN MODE; i.e. 100Hz, 100Hz plus, Progressive and 75/833i. However, setting in one affects all the others so you need to choose the SCAN MODE you like best. I have chosen 100Hz plus for no particular reason.

Geometry does not need to be set for each of the 3 different VIEWING MODEs; i.e. NORMAL, CINEMA and DYNAMIC. It's best to set geometry in an unused MODE however due to the resetting to default of the PICTURE MENU settings during the process.

Geometry needs to be set seperately for PAL 4:3 and 16:9 and NTSC 4:3 and 16:9, but I'm not sure what this means. I assume NTSC relates to R1 discs.

I have a simple setup; VHS recorder connected to DVD player via scart, DVD player connected to TV via component and scart, terrestrial aerial connected to VHS recorder and then to TV. My VHS recorder has written on the front "NTSC Playback on PAL TV". Not sure what this means.

AV4 is the VHS recorder and DVD player channel and AV4C is for the DVD player alone. I assume AV4 is RGB through scart and AV4C is component. I assume progressive scan works on both channels for the DVD player although there is a noticable difference in picture quality. DVD player is Sony 955. When AV4C is selected and the VHS recorder is playing, I can hear sound but see no picture, why is this?

When watching terrestrial TV, some transmissions/programmes have black band at top and bottom when in either 16:9 or 4:3 ASPECT. Is this normal? When in 14:9 ASPECT there is only ever a black band at the sides. I normally set to PANASONIC AUTO so this is not really a problem, although occasionally this results in a slight black band at the top and bottom.

The DVE disc tells me how much of the picture is 'lost' at the edges, I understand 5% is acceptable. Obviously this is done whilst viewing AV4 or AV4C. How do I adjust for terrestrial channels? If I adjust geometry when either AV4 or AV4C is selected, this does not change the geometry for the the other nor the terrestrial channels, correct? When AV4C is selected, the only ASPECT option is 16:9. At the moment, the DVE disc is showing that I have some curvature at the edges, but I don't see it when watching a DVD - strange. Not being able to set ASPECT to 4:3 or 14:9 when viewing AV4C disguises it I guess.

I have used the DVE disc to set Colour, Contrast etc but again, this only sets it for channels AV4 and AV4C. I assume I then replicate the settings for the terrestrial channels although flesh tones on BBC1 last night looked a bit pale. I have Contrast at 50%, Brightness at 50-60%, Colour at 25-30% and Sharpness just up from minimum.

I will be fiddling again over the Xmas break and see what happens.

Thanks

17. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please, If someone caould offer some advice and confirm my assumptions etc.

18. btc5

btc5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this TV and connects via componet cable, but how to remove displaying "AV4C" from top left corner of the screen?

19. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Hi,

Press the On Screen Display button. Think it either has OSD or a little + printed on it. Some other model remotes have a "i" (information) button that does a similar job, just in case you have the wrong remote control.

Ian

20. btc5

btc5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you have the remote in your picture - the button to the immediate left of TV/AV button should remove it.
    The square with i.