1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PS5 picture too dark, help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dbg32, Jan 31, 2004.

1. dbg32

dbg32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery of my new Panasonic TX32PS5 a fortnigt ago.

A mate came round with a video essentials DVD and calibrated the set perfectly.

DVD is going through the RGB input.

Picture quality is generally great watching Sky etc but I find when watching DVDs, the picture most of the time is just too damn dark!

There is no detail if it is a dark scene or if someone is wearing dark clothes, it's just black!

Adjusting the brightness just makes black-grey. Is there a known RGB problem with this model?

Any help would be appreciated as this is spoiling what excitement I had for finally getting a seemingly top of the range set.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the contrast is the black level and the brightness is the white level. Try turning both down to 50% first. I have always found that sticking arround this level gives me the best picture. I calibrated mine and found that with the contrast boosting (AI) on I have the brightess two clicks to the right of centre and the contrast 4 clicks to the left of centre.

I have a 32PS12 now but before I had a 28PS12, when I had the AI on it sometimes did not set itself right and I ended up with the contrast looking too low. This could be a fault? Try calibrating with the video essentials with the AI off?

Regards

Robert.

3. dbg32

dbg32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I had the AI setting switched off but when I turned it on it didn't make much discernable difference.

Is there a brightness control I can adjust in the service menu?

What about the fact that I only have a problem with the picture being too dark while watching DVDs.

Are the RGB inputs on Panny's known to be too dark?

My DVD player is a Tosh 330. Aren't they meant to present too dark a picture via RGB into a Panasonic PD30. Could the same be happening to me with my PS5?

Thanks.

4. robin_wg

robin_wg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling it may be a mixture of the TV and the DVD player - I have a TX28PS12 and It took quite a while to get a contrast/brightness set up that works nicely without losing shadow detail.

What foxed me for a while is that my DVD player (Philips 728) is a little too contrasty - I couldn't see any difference between the brightest 2 whites on the THX calibration without putting the contrast almost all the way down. Fortunately I have brightness/contrast controls on the player too, so I turned the contrast down a fraction and all is well.

Maybe your Toshiba player has brightness that is a little lower than average? I guess that if it has any sort of brightness/contrast controls built in you'd have tried them already.

Now if only they'd get round to bringing me out a replacement set that doesn't buzz...

Robin

5. dbg32

dbg32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh 330 doesn't seem to have any brightness/contrast controls built in. I never found the picture to be too dark when using it with my previous tv which was a Panasonic standard 28" set.

6. dbg32

dbg32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Tosh 330 doesn't seem to have any brightness/contrast controls built in. I never found the picture to be too dark when using it with my previous tv which was a Panasonic standard 28" set.