1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32ps12

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Steve Church, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Steve Church

Steve Church

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought a tx32ps12 from John Lewis (on price match) 4 weeks ago. On setting it up I noticed a pale band down the centre of the screen most noticable on pale backgrounds and panning shots. Also a turquoise fringe down the left hand side of the screen. This was swapped out for another one last week. The centre band is not as noticable (but is still there) but I now have coloured patches in the top right of the screen. The turquiose fringe on the left is now confined to the left hand corners. I have asked for another set which they have agreed to.

Am I going to find this problem in all PS12s. If so what other make is worth considering. My other choice was a Sony 32FX68 but the Panasonic was a better price from Techtronics. Are these free of screen problems? I've not been in the market for TVs for at least 10 years and am very disapointed in what I have found so far. Any advice would be greatfully accepted. I've got a week before the replacement arrives so have some breathing space to reconsider

2. nick_haworth

nick_haworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my set is due to be delivered in a week and a half's time - let's hope that it's ok. I'll let you know what I find. In the meantime, I saw the set in John Lewis on Saturday and the picture seemed fine and I didn't notice any pale band or discolouration.

Let us know what your replacement is like!

Cheers

3. Dave_the_B

Dave_the_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with a TX32PH40 Panasonic.(see post by Dave_the_B back a bit)

I'm not sure but I think they share the same tube!

Does anyone know why this happen's and if it can be cured?

Many thanks

Dave

4. Jasooooo

Jasooooo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    Did you resolve your problems with the Panasonic TX32PS12 screen?

What was the outcome?

I'm just about to order the Panasonic (the Sony 32FX68 didn't look as 'vivid').

Nick - are you pleased with your Panasonic...any problems?

Cheers,
    Jason.

5. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Recently bought a PS12 also and have noticed similar bands on the screen...

Whats the best option? Get JL back in to adjust/swap it out?

Is there any adjustment that will make it better?

I am pleased with the picture, on DVDs it looks great, but it does irritate me to see these bands on panning shots as already mentioned.

Anyone got a set without theis problem?

Steve.

6. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had three Panasonic PS1 before going down the Sony route. Each one had poor geometry & convergence and the 'dirty' screen effect. I contacted panasonic and they said the problems were due to poor quality scarts. Personally I would stay well away. I still look at the odd Panasonic when out and about and each one has CR*P convergence to the left of the screen.

Incidently, I now have a Sony 32FQ70 and it is streets ahead. It buzzed when I first turned it on but no more. Geometry is very good just need to move the picture down abit in the service menu. Convergence is good enough so that it is not noticable under normal viewing.

Hope you get it sorted!

PCLARKE

7. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only scarts I use are Ixos £35 a pop jobbies, so not poor quality...

8. Jasooooo

Jasooooo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is all a bit concerning...I'm thinking I should maybe cancel the PS12 and go look again at the FX68.

Does the FX68 have the geometric (picture rotation) correction control that the PS12 has? I don't think I'd be able to accept a TV that had a slightly crooked picture.

Silly question perhaps but: this banding that's visible during 'panning'...you mean, for example, when the camera moves quickly from left to right? And it's only visible on pale backgrounds?

Oh dear...widescreens have been available for so many years now and there still seem to be so many problems with what I'd consider basic features...or maybe this is just my novice perspective. :(

9. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Banding shows up on mainly on pale backgrounds.

Weird thing is, sometimes the picture is fantastic, and I far preferred it - at least looking at shop setups to anything else I looked at, at the time.

Dont know what to do myself at the moment...

10. Jasooooo

Jasooooo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know whether the FX68 has the geometric (picture rotation) correction control that the PS12 has?

Or if you have a slightly crooked screen are you stuck with it.

11. proto

proto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an owner of an FX68, I can confirm that it has the same picture rotation control as PS12.

12. ExCIA

ExCIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, I just came back from JL in Bristol and the Panny TX32PS12 looks fantastic compare to Sony KV32FX68, which looks **** poor.

Both are connected through proper cable via SkyTV.

Watched sport especially rugby and the TX32PS12 looks colourful/sharp. KV32FX68 looks so blocky.

I really don't know which way to go.

Panasonic TX32PS12 or Sony KV32FX68

??