Panasonic TX32PM1

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by brim, Jun 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. brim

brim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been given a refund on my flashing 32PW6517 and I'm interested in the above, however I can't find any opinions on the forum.

Anyone either have the set or know if it's any good?

Thanks in advance.

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I am interested in the new Panasonic range myself.

I saw this TV in the local Panasonic shop and I was impressed by the quality of the picture from the Freeview box it had been connected up to.

No reviews yet in any magazines...but generally Panasonics seem to go down very well.

One of the downers with the new non IDTV Panasonic TV's are that they only have 2 scart sockets...which doesnt seem enough these days!!!

3. brim

brim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and went for the new Panasonic TX32PM1.

Other than the lack of connectivity, I am absolutely delighted. The picture is absolutely stunning and I genuinely can't believe the improvement over the Philips (even when it was not flashing!).

If anyone has 600ish to spend on a 32", I can whole-heartedly recommend this set.

4. Rushy

Rushy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Mate of mine bought the 28" version, and I had a viewing on it the other day (Finding Nemo) and was very impressed by it. Best 28" for £400 IMO :)

5. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do u think its worth paying an extra £100 for 100Hz?? I'm stuck poss between PM1 and PM11C (with the 100Hz)

6. brim

brim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I think 100hz processing causes as many problems as it solves.
    Looking on this forum, it seems all people want is a set with good geometry and definition and without any flaws. It's incredible that not all TV's have this these days!
    As I said previously, from both DVD and digital cable the picture is fantastic. Far better than the 32PW6517 and my (1200quid at the time) Toshiba 32W8DB.
    I maybe lucky and have a good one, but I honestly can't believe how good a big TV I've got for 650quid. It's so good that I've promised the missus that I'll not even mention another TV for at least another 3 years!

7. meinbrain

meinbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers brim!

I'll prob get the 28" without 100Hz. I read 100Hzs can be quite dodgy most of the time!

8. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brim: Couldn't agree more on your first two points! Sadly enough, I think that the combination of the growing complexity of new TV's plus the enormous pressure of minimizing mass production costs and at the same time throwing one new "smart" model after another on the market rather creates more and more flaws than less. Example: The Philips 32PW6517 I've bought has no mention of which country it has been manufactured in! The manual is printed in Hungary, so you can guess. Perhaps thats why the section in danish starts with one page in that language and then continues in swedish?

I've decided to return the Philips (too!). There's an almost constant "rumbling" or "thunder" underneath the intensional sound. Geometry is poor as a whole (many small flaws). There's a discolourization on one third of the screen (really irritating with black and white movies). So it's a paradox that it's the TV, I've liked most! But all that sloppiness!

The TV, I had (and returned) before that, was a Panasonic 32TXPS1, a predecessor (I think) of the Panasonic TX32PM1 (the new PM-TV's can't be bought i Denmark yet). I dismissed that TV because the 4:3 aspect ratio through RGB-scart was more like 14:9, which made people look a little bit funny! Couldn't live with that because I watch most broadcast channels through a digital box and RGB. Probably this could had been corrected through the service menu.

More serious was what has been called "black crushing" in this forum. On the Digital Video Essentials-DVD it is referred to as "hard clipping" (black and/or white) of the video signal. It is caused by a too narrow dynamic range which makes details in dark and bright sceneries vanish into total black or white. It's often worsened when there's both very dark and very bright parts in the same scenery. Therefore the DVD contains tests with "below black" bars, visible only if the DVD-player/TV has sufficient dynamic range. Of course the brightness control has to be set correctly. What I experienced with the Panasonic TV through RGB, was that I had to turn up the brightness control to a point where "black" was more like "sort of grey with a bluish/greenish tone to it". And still I could just barely see the "below black" bar. When using RGB, I had to turn up the brightness, when not, I had to turn it down and so on. And the TV didn't have the option of storing more than one setting.

So, brim, does your Panasonic TX32PM1 have this flaw? And is it possible to store settings for both video and RGB? Or can you use one single setting for both without problem?

The real good thing (for me) with the Philips TV was that it didn't have that problem, you could store different settings for video, EXT 1 (RGB) and EXT 2 (VCR/S-VHS). The settings didn't have to be much different. Also the continuos zoom, vertical position shift, worked with all connections.

Hopefully you can find time to answer my questions and share your further experiences with your Panasonic.

9. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a look at the PM1 in a store last week - Tennis was on, and I noticed, for want of a better description, kind of ‘jagged/zig-zag' edges to the white shirts that the player were wearing - have you noticed this on your set? Anyone any idea what the problem might be? (FYI, the PS1 was beside the PM1 and it also had the problem).

TIA.

10. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Struan, after having looked at hundreds of TV's in shops, being feeded through a composite common video signal for 10-50 sets, I've ended up with being very reluctant to make a categoric verdict on a TV under these conditions. I've seen sets going from worst to best, only from being moved from last in a chain to first! And then of course you have to consider the setting of brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness under these circumstances. Both the PS1 and the PM1 has a digital comb filter which in itself sharpens the edges (just look at subtitles at a PS1!), almost too much, so you have to set the sharpness control very, very low. Perhaps setting sharpness - and contrast and brightness and colour! - to high, which is the common setting in most shops, is the cause the "jagged/zig-zag"-edges?

11. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Panny 32 PM1 a couple of weeks back and in my very inexpereinced opinion...it is very good.

Only couple of things ive noticed:

1 - When the TV is set to "Panasonic Auto" depending on what im watching the TV can automatically switch from widescreen to 16:9 and back again, which can prove quite annoying, but is very very infrequent.

2 - and only 2 because i am a complete novice with this type of equipment at the moment but.........Im not getting the best out of my set up because of poor quality scarts, and not knowing how to rig up the Digibox, TV, Surround system, and VCR to get the maximum benefits....any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

12. thebassmonkey

thebassmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got the 28 inch one and as i mentioned in another thread when you are looking at the sky menu there is bending on some of the menu bars, particularly at the top and bottom... its like it cant handle straight lines? any ideas?

the picture quality is ok but not as sharp as i expected it to be for a 400 odd quid telly. have i got a dodgy box or is it something im not doing?

thanks