Panasonic Tx32PK20 Owners come in please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ColinHaldane, Oct 2, 2001.

1. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few people are having picture problems when using the Tx32Pk20 with RGB from DVD player.<br />The problem is in the form of faint horizontal bands that drift up or down at varying speeds.<br />If you have this TV and either do or dont have this problem can you please reply with the DVD player model.<br />The problem so far is with Pioneers so I'm trying to find out if its just Pioneers or others as well.

2. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Colin

Yes iv'e got exactly the same problems as you, with a Pioneer DV545 (excellent player) and the panny 32pk20.

My player from Techtronics (think yours is too from other postings....?) and last I heard Techtronics were gonna change it for you??

Just out of interest, have you tried a NTSC DVD??? (I have and the problem seemed to go away) not that thats gonna help much if you rent films from Blockbuster etc.....

I really don't want the hassle of changing my TV, or sending it away for 'repair' and it probably getting damaged in transit. Besides, I think its an excellent TV with superb picture quality! What do you think??

My adivce would be to try switching over to DVD Scart outputting SVid - AV2(S) on TV. This has sorted it for mine, I know it means I can't use the supposedly superior RGB of the DVD, but SVid is nearly as good (.....isn't it??)

Let me know how you get on, in particular, if you change your DVD player and it cures the problem.

My only concern at the moment, is when I get Sky digital, i'm gonna want to use RGB via AV1 and if its the TV thats the problem.....!!

Cheers,

3. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Badger. I have had a quick try of my Pani DVSTB31 (Digibox) in AV1 & RGB. I saw no signs of the horizonatal banding. Good but weired!

4. tiggy

tiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    I to have this problem,my DVD player is the Pioneer DV-717,thanks for that little bit of advice, I'll try that.
    Cheers.

5. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I had the problem with all sources on RGB. My DVD is a Sony.

6. Mr Plumbs

Mr Plumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not noticed the problem at all with my TX32PK20. The DVD player is Arcam's DV88 connected via QED's RGB only Squart. The only problem I've had with the set is that the AI mode makes the picture look digitised, so I turned it off - problem gone.

7. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Just another quick point that I forgot to mention in my earlier posting this morning.

Whilst in 7oaks last weekend auditioning receivers, I asked the sales bloke about this very problem.

He immediately said "that happens on all conventional TV's apart from the Loewe" and its apparantly due to the fact that its not a 'true flat' screen, whereas the Loewe is................

Now I think personally that i was being fed some bull there!

Has anyone noticed that playing a NTSC disc through RGB scart, the problem seems to vanish???

8. dorgan

dorgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Colin,
    I have exactly the same problem with my 32Pk20 and a Pioneer DV636. I posted about it here a while back. I also rang Panasonic (Ireland) and they had never heard of the problem but seemed very eager to try and sort it out. Only problem was that I'd have to bring it to them and I haven't gotten around to it yet. It is impossible to watch a movie in RGB once you notice this fault so I bought an s-video lead. IMHO the quality is a lot better. This dosen't make up for the fact the the TV has a problem.
    Some solutions I was told to try:
    1) Clip pin 19 on the scart: made no difference
    2) Just noticed this today, added by 'freaky' to a post:
    I had the same problem with my Toshiba 3327, the fault was multiple syncs recieved via the scart i/p due to poor source switching in the set.
    The solution was to remove pin 20 from the scart lead from the dvd (composite/luma in) but make sure you set the player to RGB first as this lead wont work in composite or s-video after.
    I cant guarantee this will solve your problem, but it sure worked on the tosh!
    3) 'I am maximus' was told by Panasonic that the fault lay with the DVCO on the service menu.
    If you solve this let us know.

9. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been asked for a better visual desription of the problem so here goes.

Faint perfectly horizontal shaded bands that extend the full width of the screen and cover all the screen i.e. are not confined to the top, bottom or middle.

They can drift up or down with varying speed. When they change direction and their speed drops to 0 they are virtually impossible to see. This is also true when their speed becomes high.

They are about 2-3cm wide with 2-3 cm gap (on a 32") and do not have sharp edges.
    The bands are just a region of the picture that is slightly brighter or lighter - this is the only thing that makes them visible.

They are only visible in dark areas of a scene.

Visualise them as ripples and your there!

10. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the problem described here was well known.The euro-chassis used in the last models produced by Panasonic did not like RGB.It has been well documented,with the DVCO adjustment as the only 'solution'.It needs a pal colour bar,but the adjustment does not solve the problem.The only solution is to use S-Video for dvd playback.

11. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any idea why my Digibox RGB should be OK and the DVD give problems?
    It is a coincedence that the Digibox is a Panasonic. Is there "Panasonic RGB" and "other makers RGB"?

12. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Colin
    Your description of the problem is perfect, apart from the fact that when I had my PK it was visible on PALE areas, not darks. (Or maybe it was, and I just hadn't noticed.) One of the best examples was the opening sequence to BBC News(or BBC News 24), where they have a reddish symbol on a creamy background. It sent my set (and me( crazy.

13. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keiron I take it that you see the problem with your Digibox outputing RGB?

14. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Colin
    Yes, with RGB on the Digibox. As I recall, whatever the source, the problem was only apparent on RGB.

15. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Colin,

Just a quick note to see if you managed to get your Pioneer 444 player changed by Techtronics (last I heard they were going to change it for you)

If so, has it cured the RGB problem???

16. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 444 has arrived back from techtronics with a note that says
    "Nothing wrong with RGB o/p. May be some TV incompatibility"

Which is exactly what I thought would be their findings in the light of all the info I've seen since I sent it off.

Connected it up and the problem was still there.
    First I tried cutting pin 19 on the Tv end of the scart as is recommended by some people. This just gave me a picture that had no horizonatal or vertical lock. (Why that should happen God knows. Has any body else thats done this run into problems?)

Soldered back pin 19. Took a deep breath and tried this DVCO recalibrate on the telly.

Bingo - picture perfect.

17. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Colin,

Glad to hear that you have sorted your TV picture. I suspected that your player would come back with 'no fault'

So any chance you could let me know please what I need to do to fix mine??? I take it the DVCO recalibrate is a service menu thing??? And If i get it wrong????? what damage could I cause???

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

18. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi folks,

I have never encountered this problem,

My system

Sony 7700 multi reg (paragon)
    Qed Squart cable
    Panny 32PK20

Although As soon As I got the TV (grey import) I turned of the AI (nasty artifacting on dark colours during fast motion)

and Ive never encountered any Bars.

Suggestions (Ive only proof read the above posts)

1. Magnetic interference (speakers sub - nonshielded cables etc)

2. AI (enough said)

3. RF interference (cables etc)

Hope this helps Ill fiddle about with my set to try & recreate your problems and then get back to ya

Good luck :cool:

19. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Badger - I'm going to find the URL that
    I used for these intructions later today.

You do need to do it with stable picture. I used the Pioneer logo that the 444 outputs.
    I guess that a paused real picture could have been better. When the DVCO auto adjusts it does give a value so you could try different still pictures and see if the value is any different. Mine was origionally set at 0 but went to - 011 after the recal.

20. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colin,

Thanks for the info. I will give it a go later on tonight.

I have bought a Marantz receiver over the weekend and i'm mow using the video switching capabilites of the receiver (this of course now limits me to s-vid anyway)

But, having said that, I still want to use the DVD player via RGB Scart so will give the service menu thing a go later.

Cheers!

21. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. ColinHaldane

ColinHaldane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. DyManiX

DyManiX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the smae problem but with a Thompson TV, which apparently has no Service menu.

Has anyone tried cutting pin 20? If so did it work as I know you said 19 didnt?

At the moment I am running in S-video but would rather use RGB if possible.