panasonic tx32ph40 prog scan question

jtorry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does this set force widescreen when prog scan is active? Also is there a way to turn off the 100Hz processing? Any any other opinions on the set. Thanks

hi

can't help you with the first question as i don't have a prog scan player

you can switch between prog scan and 100hz manually. using prog scan mode on a standard pal50 broadcast does eliminate the scan lines which you sometimes see on a large areas of uniform colour but it does produce a very slight flicker effect which i think is due to the prog scan operating at 60hz

i don't think the set operates at a standard 50hz mode though.

Thanks. What do you think of the tele in general?

Can anyone else confirm what has been said and tell me if progressive scan forces the picture to be viewed in widescreen like the Toshiba 32ZD26 does?

I own one but I aint sure jt.
Only switch to prog scan on DVD and there all WS anyway.
I actually would not use it in prog scan for off air broadcasts as the flicker is annoying, which to be fair is pointed out in the manual.
The TV is has a great picture especially when playing prog scan DVD. It will of course do PAL and NTSC prog scan which the tosh cant. You will need a suitably equipted DVD player (I have a Harman Kardon DVD25 firmware upgraded to give PAL prog scan )
to get PAL prog scan and the results are great.
I also use it with a digital decoder for freeview, this also gives a great picture, as good as the Sony IDTV I had before.
Hope this helps.

I got mine from Bennets online for £1043 inc del.

AL

Thanks big_Al. The reason i ask about the ability to change aspect ratio in prog scan mode is because i have a US gamecube that has prog scan support. Unfortunately most of the games are only full frame and not widescreen. If the tele auto switched to wide it would be quite annoying.

Can you also clear up whether or not you can turn 100Hz off or not. Thanks.

You can turn off 100hz mode.
In prog scan it only outputs at 50hz and is not changeable.
I will check the manual for you andsee if it changes automatically to WS when using prog scan.

AL

When using the component inputs the TV switches to Panasonic auto mode which swithes to the appropriate mode or enhances the picture to fill the screen.
If you switch to progressive on any other input you can still change aspect ratio but I never do this due to the flicker.
The manual states that progressive should be used when viewing a PAL 60 or NTSC, the other forms of PAL produce flicker as stated.

I am sure the manual's are available on Panasonic's web site somewhere.

AL

thanks for the info but one final question. If the manual says to use prog scan when in pal 60 or ntsc what are you meant to do when watching a pal dvd when using a dvd player capable of outputing pal prog scan?

You must use components, if player can output it then it will have componets as its the only way to do it.

Sorry my question was worded badly. What I meant was what happens when using a pal prog dvd which I assume outputs in 50Hz?

So, overall is it a good set? Any problems with it? Should i get it?

I bought it mainly for its prog scan capabilities and for that I can recommend it. For that sort of money I think it is great value.
IMHO it is a good set.

AL

Just checked Bennetts website and the PH40 is now going for £1219.

I've been checking out this tv for the past few weekends. I really want to get this tv because of the prog scan and PIP. But when I watched a DVD (via scart) - there seemed to be quite a bit of interfernece. I could occasionally see feint ghosted images of text scrolling across the image.

Never encountered problems like that.
Use components for obvious reasons.
I guess Bennets realised they were a lot cheape than everyone else :mad:

Guys , I have a TX32PB50 and will get getting it changed soon ,
is there any reason for me to change it to this set ?

is the picture quality any better overall ?

do you still get the dirty screen effect ?

PS . I don't use the onboard DD\DTS so I wont miss this

most noticeable against light backgrounds (particularly football matches) , the screen almost looks like it’s dirty behind the glass , I think it’s something to do with the shadow mask ????

Apparently it’s quite common on this set but I am hoping that my replacement is better

Are you talking about the toshiba and not the Panasonic?

the panny

there has been several threads on this subject in the past

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom