1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PH40 - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gezza, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Gezza

Gezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying the Panasonic TX32PH40, I think it's the best looking TV I've ever seen but how good is the picture (I've got a Toshiba DVD player with Component video outputs and Sky Digital) and does the "virtual dolby" really work?

I'd very much appreciate your opinions as I am desperate to go out and get one next week if it gets the thumbs up!

Oh and can anyone let me know exactly what "What Hifi" said about it as I missed the review!

Cheers

Gezza

2. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

what hifi gave it 5 stars and said it was awesome....what video said "fine set marred by pesky digital processing"..who to believe?
    i bought mine after reading the first report and i am happy with it. I don't have a prgressive dvd/component output so have not used its progressive abilities yet with dvd. but in progressive mode with gamecube 60hz games its really good. i think home entertainment mag are reviewing this set in nov issue so will be intereseted to see what they say

3. Gezza

Gezza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fuzzy

Thanks for the info. I sometimes wonder whether some reviews go OTT and search for every last defect which the general user wouldn't necessarily notice or worry about? Anyhow thanks for letting me know about the forthcoming review in Home Entertainment. I guess I need to decide whether it's worth waiting for the review, which will probably confuse me even more, or just go for it? Decisions, Decisions!! Still it's good to know that you are happy with yours.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    fuzzy

what aspect mode do you use for watching 4:3 broadcasts ???

have gone from a philips that had a fairly good mode that stretched the sides and cropped a very small amount top and bottom.
    far better than the sonys' smart mode that i had before (nowhere near as much distortion as that).

but on the panny there is just panasonic auto it basically gives you a 14:9 image with the edges stretched a little to fill the screen, which is fine if it stayed in that mode while watching 4:3 images. but it doesnt , it stays there until it thinks there is a better mode to choose then starts switching.

while watching a show earlier it went from this mode (good) to zoom missing all the info off the bottom of the screen that i was trying to read, to 16:9 which obviously made everything really squashed, back to auto , then to 14:9 (small black bars on sides) back to zoom and then had a spate of trying to work out what mode to choose for about 3 mins.

can i turn the auto detection off apart for true wide screen switching, obviously if the prog is true anamorphic widescreen then i want to tv to swutch to 16:9.

went into service menu to adjust the 14:9 mode (as i would never use that) to fill screen to how i like it (I know there has to be a little distortion but better than black bars and constant changing) and when changing geometry on 14:9 it changes 16:9 and 4:3 etc too.

does anyone know if it is possible to change geometry on a panny tv in one aspect ratio without affecting others ????

5. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi gizlaroc

I mainly watch digital terrestrial rgb input (rather than the rf input)with the set on auto switching...i do this because a lot of the transmissions are in wide screen format so avoiding some of the probs you mention and because i think the pic quality is excellent in this mode. I don't know if its me but the dtv pictures seem a lot better recently, perhaps to do with freeview arriving soon??
    With 4:3 analogue i watch in 14:9 as i think a bit too much distortion in auto mode when it fills the screen.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    i have digital via rgb but in auto mode it is constantly changing ratio, on my philips there is a way to turn off auto ratio change but leave widescreen signal switching on.

ie if it is a true widescreen broadcast it goes to widescreen but it doesnt change ratio if it detects black bars (or if the top and bottom of screen is dark :rolleyes: )

have i missed somthing or is that how it is on this set ???

cheers

G

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    one last thing ;)

I have not got a tuning menu on my tv ????

it shows it in the set up menu in the instruction book , but it is missing from my menu , i was trying to see if i could allocate say av2s to button 8 etc.

where the hell is it ???

what do i need to do to get it up ??

edit must not be on an av channel , and you cant assign av inputs :(

8. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one and wish to god that I'd bought the tosh instead.

The Panny looks great but I'm on my 3rd (or is it 4th) set in a few months - they keep going wrong on me.

Picture with an NTSC source via component (either prog or interlaced) is simply awful and has been on each one I've had.

Buy the Toshiba - it is cheaper and better!

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    have you used avia to set it up ???

this is the strangest settings i have ever had from a tv.

from a pioneer 737 the pic was truly awful via component, but after running avia this afternoon it is great.

however these are the settings ( strange )

contrast 22%
    brightness 50%
    colour 40%
    sharpness 30% (second notch)

everything else is turned off

rough percentages because they are lines not numbers.

had to adjust the R G and B guns as well to get the colour acuracy correct too.

i then run avia again using my pioneer all in one unit, as this is what i will be using on this tv. And i only had to drop the colour very slightly.

have to say that it is one of the most natural pictures i have seen on a tv, run a few dvds through it tonight and they are pretty damned good.

but dont like the aspect ratio options and it may go back.

10. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha,
    The four (I checked) I've had have all needed very different settings.

The last one needed Contrast and Brightness at 100% in order to see any sort of picture!

I wish I had bought a PJ instead!

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    well just set up my older philips silver shadow with avia and actually prefer the picture on that to the panny !!!

and the moire effect has started to show up on the panny too :(

Called panasonic this morning and asked why there was no just mode on the set when it is in the brochure, and they said it depends on what chassis is used.

so all in all not too happy after a couple of days use and i am taking it back !!

so no, i couldn't recommend it.

12. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question but whats avia and where do I get one ???

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    It is a set up disc for home theatre, it has audio and video calibration , including setting the the main video settings such as white level, black level, hue , saturation.
    It also has test patterns including convergance grids etc.

you don't realise what an essential tool it is until you use it.

you can order it from amazon.com and if you choose the second shipping rate it works out to about £30 and i got my copy in 3 days !!

14. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another daft question, what is "just mode" on the panny.

Have you tried it with prog scan yet, this is the reason I bought the thing.
    Am having doubts myself. If I can cure the geometry probs and it comes thru in prog scan mode then it will have redeemed itself....

Was thinking of sending mine back to retailer if they dont sort out the geometry and maybe trying another from where you got yours from so hope I dont get yours after you have returned it :eek:
    What excuse are you going to use to return it ??? and is their returns policy OK ???

Thanks in advance

AL

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Just mode was not on my set !!!

it is in the brochure as being there but it wasnt on my set.

I took my set back today, the geometry on mine was perfect, but the moire effects and lack of just mode made it a no go for me.

I took a pic of the lines on progressive with a digi camera so they couldnt really argue with me, they wanted to swap it for another set (brand or model) and i said ok , as long as it has pal and ntsc progressive scan inputs.

obviously they couldnt find one so gave me a refund.

after getting my philips set back up i realised how good a set it actually is. however i still need more inputs and prog scan would be a plus but not essential as i have a crt projector for films and gaming if needed. the only reason i started looking at new tvs was because my loft (cinema room) still isnt finished and i had the urge to upgrade somthing and the tv was a good price.

16. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just tried prog scan on mine and its excellent.
    I think you had bad luck.