1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PH40 and NTSC gamecube

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by K.TroopA, Dec 28, 2002.

1. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have been thinking about the ph40 for a few weeks now and really want to buy it so i can play my US gamecube via the progressive scan inputs. I have read that some guys here have this same setup and id like to know whats it like and if youd recommend it. is the difference between s-video and component video picture all that great for games?

Also id like to know when using progressive scan what mode the tv switches to? ive read in game manuals (metroid prime and 007 nightfire) its a widescreen mode, but is this a 16:9 image with borders or a normal full screen with 16:9 ratio. forgive me if this sounds muddled but im new to av stuff but learning fast ;) does this switching occur for all games and does it look right - i.e not stretched?

also what do games look like using the 4:3, 14:9 and other modes - would you ever use these?

seems there arent many crts atm that offer prog scan inputs, but the panny i found i like so some opinions from cube or even xbox gamers would be welcome :)

i also plan to watch dvds on this of course but gaming is my first love atm :D

2. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just sent my set back. The set has horrible digital processing and despite the lovely image quality in terms of crispness and deffinition I couldn't stand the pixilation once there was movement on screen. There is also lots of colour bleeding and bad geometry. I could go on as to why I had to send it back. Also the set forces all prog scan inputs into widescreen.

3. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when does this pixelation occur - when viewing what source? so its a bad choice then, i read somewhere it was rated highly by whathifi or have i made a mistake :confused: id like to know more about what u thought was wrong if poss - maybe pm me :)

what do you plan to buy instead

4. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    go to the comet website and look at the what review of the set. gave it a c for picture I think. The problem is worse on non digital sources but it was still unacceptable on dvds leaving huge trails behind everything and causing blockiness on fast movement. I have now abandoned the crt and am setting up a projector in my room with a 60inch screen. :cool:

5. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx again for the reply jtorry. my attention has now switched to the toshiba 32ZD26P, after having read that incredibly long thread hehe. mostly good stuff has been said :)

i seen the same thing posted for the tosh 32ZD26P and am sorry if this question sounds dumb, but what exactly do you mean by forces all prog scan inputs to widescreen? Its a widescreen tv to begin with, so dont all images appear widescreen already?

by widescreen does this mean the picture is stretched? some gamecube games have a 16:9 mode where the ratio looks correct on a widescreen - it this what it means?

6. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not all prog scan cube games have 16:9 modes so if you want say mario in prog scan you have to play it stretched over the whole screen.

7. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting ... I kept the What HiFi 'mini-review' and they rated the PH40 as good if not better than the 32Z26 in terms of image quality and versatility ...

DTTB

8. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh! i never caught any reviews but am well confused tbh. tho only read good things about the tosh model :confused:

what should i buy

9. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wait if you can untill the more sets are released. It cannot be long now untill other companies start to introduce pro scan sets. Do you have room for a projector?

10. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    want a tv for the living room and i think 32" is big enough for atm ;) waiting sounds like a good idea, cant be long until sony and others offers crts with prog scan me thinks :D

thx for the replies guys :)

btw what projector are you getting jtorry

11. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am getting the Sanyo PLV-Z1. Costs about £1300 which is only a bit more than a good tele would have cost, plus the screen is going to be much bigger. I bought a cheap tele for general viewing, but i will use the projector for watching DVDs and playing games etc. I am making my own screen so the cost of that should be low.

12. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK ... as i got nothing better to do ... here's the review ...

Panasonic's awesome progressive-scan revision

It's a nice job sometimes. We'd just drained the celebratory champagne from the last issue quaffing copious toasts to the brilliant Tosh 32zd26p and then we clapped our eyes on the Panasonic 32ph40. And we're here to tell you this tv is to die for.

First and foremost it has lots of input sockets including three scart two of which offer RGB. It comes with 100hz or adjustable progressive scan picture modes plus lots of other gizmos. It is a Nicam stereo design so no wasted money on extra speakers. Component inputs for dedicated connection to a suitable dvd player. Not only does the set handle 'legitimate' NTSC progressive scan it's also capable of dealing with 'unofficial' PAL progressive scan. Thus with a player such as Tosh SD510E you'll see better pictures with NTSC discs and with a suitably modified PAL progressive player you'll get that same benefit with every disc. It's a stunning enhancement: blacks look incredible, edge definition is pin sharp and you'll notice a dramatic reduction in noise and shimmer in background details.

What about sound? Well, although this is a stereo only set, it includes a built in sub woofer for better bass: the presentation is competent, reasonably clear and focussed.

You'll have guessed by now but we'll make it clear this is a brilliant tv. And yes the champagne is out and this time it's Krug. No point in doing things by half ...

FOR:
    Brilliant picture; awesome flexibility; the ideal hc compatible array of sockets

AGAINTS:
    Are you kidding?

VERDICT:
    Just sensational: we're praying our own tv's break down so we've got an excuse to get one ...

Leading Rivals:
    Tosh 32zd26p - 5 stars
    Philips 32PW9617 - 5 stars

From What Hi Fi September 2002 pg 11

DTTB

13. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would add that home entertainment magazine had an equally good review. my ph40 seems fine. I certainly can't see trails of pixels etc and dvd playback is excellent even from my no prog scan sony player . On gamecube games with 60 hz output the set switches to prog scan and the picture is the biz. I will say that watching off air programmes thru the rf analogue output is not that impressive so i use freeview instead and here if the bit rate is good so is the picture. I wonder if what video and home cinema had one telly as a sample and the other two mags had another??

14. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx DTTB for posting that, tis good to read more about that tv.

Tosh 32zd26p Vs Panasonic TX32PH40

ive been looking at both sets now and cant decide lol. both have prog scan inputs and are good tellys, moreso the tosh maybe.

fuzzy any chance of you posting a pic of cube games running in prog scan, id really like to see a couple if possible and the screen ratios and all that. does mario look even fatter in ws :D

tia

15. talizker

talizker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I am in the process of trying to return my second Toshiba 32ZD26P due to a combination of particulaly bad geometry and tearing/glitching in Progressive Scan mode. Initially this seemed only to be in Super Mario Sunshine but I have seen it in most of the games now. It does also effect DVD playback although the only thing I have seen it on is Episode 7 of Band Of Brothers and it is not as noticable as the Cube [see the 36ZD26P mega thread for more details! http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37894]

I am considering the Pany due to the Prog Scan problem but do find the huge difference in opinion to be a little confusing. I thing a trip down to my local Comet armed with my Cube and DVD player may be the order of the day...

16. K.TroopA

K.TroopA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to read about your woes with the tosh. i too would like to visit comet and try out my cube there on the panny to be sure what it looks like. what is their policy on this kinda thing - anyone know?

on the other hand maybe someone can post some pics of cube games in prog scan :)

17. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry don't have the necessary tech to post pics. I run my pal gcube games in 60hz mode where possible and the difference is great with no scan lines, I don't know if this is true prog scan as i am using rgb input rather than the component on the panny as i dont have the lead that connects to the digital out port on the cube, this lead apparently has component connectors at the other end

18. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, I picked up a Tosh 28ZD26P last week and have been experiencing the tearing issues whilst running my US GC in prog scan. It seems to have real trouble with light areas, which is a damn shame because when it's working right it looks totally incredible.
    :clap:

For anyone wondering what the tearing looks like, check these out, I took them last night:

http://www.timdp2.com/tosh1.jpg
    http://www.timdp2.com/tosh2.jpg