1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PG50 Hum

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rimmers, Apr 26, 2001.

1. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As the old topic is getting rather large I thought I would start a new one.

I had an engineer in today to look at the humming problem on my TV. He said it was to do with the amp.

If this is a problem on a lot of peoples TV then why was it released.

Why didn't they use their experience in their sister company Technics to build an amp that is good with no humming.

I will get a replacement but from reading peoples comments on this forum about this problem I am not very optimistic.

Is there anyone out there with this particular model who hasn't got a hum.

If I need to buy a different TV for about the same price with the same features are there any ideas.

Much appreciated

Neil

2. The Doctor

The Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Have followed these threads with interest over the last 6 weeks since my new PG50 arrived.

Have been very happy with it - even despite the plonkers John Lewis sent to install it, who asked :
    "Did your old set have this bad a signal? No? Well, maybe you need to contact an aerial installer because big screen TVs need more signal to get a good picture" (!!) When they left it took me 5 mins to re-run setup and it was fine - awesome picture.

Initially noticed a slight convex bowing on LH screen in 16:9 (not worth shouting about and haven't yet bothered to tweak), but no hum.....until a couple of days ago.

Anyone noticed a difference from each of the speakers? Mine has a distinct buzz from the RH speaker, but a more subdued hum from centre and LH side. Curious. Perhaps I'll just have to turn the sound up to hide it for the moment - news programmes (i.e. speech) most obvious. Will keep an ear open to try to notice if it gets louder.

My LG3350 DVD from Dabs has just (finally) shipped so will be playing with it more in the next few days.

John Lewis will be getting a call tomorrow - I don't really want to look for another 'cos the "Management" loves the styling.

Watch this space......

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has your dealer been OK about replacing it on the basis that it hums?
    Anyone else who's had or has a PG series and has returned or wants to it. On what basis has your dealer agreed to replace it?

4. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My dealer has agreed to replace the set on the basis that it hums. If my replacement hums they will offer me a refund.

5. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am currently liasing with Panasonic regarding the hum and they are looking into it.

Has anyone else been talking to Panasonic about the hum and if so what have they told you.

If they sorted out the hum I would be very happy with the TV as I think the picture and sound are great.

Neil

6. The Doctor

The Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on PG50 hum as promised, which appeared to stop for a couple of days over the weekend, but has started again today.

Very strange - will keep listening.

7. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can put your hand on it and it stops humming, it sounds like something inside is causing the chassie to hit resonance. and thats is indicative of a defect.

8. SteveK

SteveK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PK1 it humms quite loud sometimes, if I press the top left hand corner of the case it stops! Could be a build quality issue.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic gave me the "refer to retailer" when I approached them about the hum.
    I find it so annoying that I leave it in stereo all the time.
    Kind of defeats the object!

10. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats weird. When did you email Panasonic.

As I said above my response was that they are looking into this phenomena(their words).

If I hear anything, read it here first.

Regards

Neil

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emailed them way back in March, have you heard anymore from them?

12. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They said it will take a couple of weeks to sort out when I emailed last week.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what they intend to do?

14. The Doctor

The Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Engineer called today (third-party repairer organised by John Lewis) to investigate hum.
    He went away saying he'd contact Panasonic and telephoned later to say that they confirmed there was a problem that had been referred back to Japan who were "working on a fix".

My action now will be to write to JL rejecting the set due to the fault, but allowing them time to fix the problem (reserving the right to reject should this not be satisfactory). Hopefully it'll get solved and I can keep what is otherwise an incredible set!

15. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think I will get a refund and wait for the fix then buy another at least by then it may be cheaper and I will get a whole years guarantee.

16. The Doctor

The Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you order a replacement, go to John Lewis. They'll match any internet price if in stock (they matched totalpanasonic at £1920ish) and offer a 5 year warranty.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any problems with panasonic 36PF10 seen one heavily discounted
    [genuine reason].
    I tried my DVD [us reg 1] and it played very well whats it like with satellite e.t.c...
    reception in shop was poor.

18. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive seen chicken run in Apollo 2000 on the 36PF10 and it played very well. From my opinion it is a good set. At least it doesn't have the hum which my 32PG50 has.

19. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have spoken to my retailer who have said they are awaiting a chip from Panasonic which will fix the humming problem.

I have emailed Panasonic to verify this and will let you know ASAP.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.
    Have you experienced lock-ups or similar?

21. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fortunately I have not experienced said problems on either of my TX32PG50s. Although saying that my second one was only delivered Saturday so i'll let you know if it does happen.

Does any one know how to get sound going to external speakers. I have my stereo connected to the front speaker phono connectors on the back of my TV, I then turn off the internal speakers, but nothing is heard from my stereo. I assume you don't have to have a digital input because the GUI shows the external speakers when you switch off the internal ones and from the manual you don't get the Dolby pro logic option when you have a digital input connected.

Any help appreciated. :)

22. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The reason you probabley have no sound from stereo is either that you've muted the sound via remote mute button or, turned the sound down on the tv - remember that the phonos are gradated by the tv remote for output level, in other words the tv sound level affects what you get out to a stereo.
    ;) Encaser

23. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The TV is not muted nor is the sound turned down. At first I thought it might be my TV but the fact that I have had another implies it is just me doing something wrong.

Can you have sound going to external speakers when you have no digital input connected.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have, and are willing to send me, any official info they have gained from Panasonic regarding the humming. I have tried approaching my retailer and they have been totally unhelpful. The next step is the small claims court so I would greatly appreiciate any info anyone has to help my case. Email me direct. Thanks in advance. :confused:

25. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Colin

I was unable to email you direct so I have printed my responses from Panasonic here.

I recently emailed you stating that I had got a hum coming from my TX32PG50 TV through the speakers.

The TV repair man said that the hum was coming from the amplifier of the TV.

I will be requesting a new TV from my retailer but would just like to know if
    this problem is inherent in all the TX32PG50s or I am just unlucky and it is
    just a fault with mine.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Much appreciated

Neil

PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr Rimington,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are currently investigating this matter with the factory.

Your details have been noted and we will inform you as soon as we have more
    information on this phenomenon.

Kind regards,

I emailed you recently regarding a hum on my TX32PG50 and you responded in saying that the factory is currently looking into the phenomenon. I was just wondering if the problem as been resolved because if my replacement this Saturday as the same problem I will be regretably asking my retailer for a
    refund.
    The problem is that for performance and styling I have yet to find another
    TV that matches it and therefore would like to keep this model.

If the problem was resolved then I could get a replacement.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Much appreciated.

Neil

PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr Rimington,

I have checked with the factory to see if they have an update on the TX32PG50 phenomenon.

Unfortunately, the matter is still under investigation at this time.

The factory estimates it may be several more weeks before a conclusion can be reached.

Sorry we cannot be of more assistance at this time.

Kind regards,
    Customer Support

I have previously emailed a couple of times discussing a hum on my TX32PG50 TV in which I have been told the problem is being looked into.

I have since spoken to my retailer who say they are awaiting a chip which will solve the problem of the humming.

Could you verify that a fix is available for my problem and that it is the chip which my retailer referring to.

Would it also be possible for a explanation of what the chip/fix does in relation to stopping the hum.

Many thanks

Neil

PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr Rimmington,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to say that there is as yet no resolution to this situation. Out technical department, and our factory are aware of the situation, and are looking into it. All of our service dealers will be made aware of the
    solution when it is available. I can only assume that your dealer meant
    that he is awaiting design of a chip, rather than delivery.

I am sorry that I cannot be of more assistance to you.

Kind regards,
    Customer Support

Customer Support

As you can see a lot of sweet talking helps in getting a response.

I am getting a refund on my TV after my third set still has the hum.

Neil

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I'm very grateful.
    Will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again.

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoken to Panasonic and they have been most reasonable and helpful about this matter. Now hoping my retailer will follow suit seeing as their arguement is no longer valid.
    Panasonic have done themselves a big favour, in my books, by taking this tack I would now consider buying another one of their products aslong as this all turns out alright.

28. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    So now that Panasonic have said it's going to be weeks before a fix to the hum is sorted (probably be months if you ask me) what T.V. are you all going to go for?
    Or are you going to hang out till they get it fixed good and proper and all get new PG's Tel. :)

29. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TX36PG50 and I know it hums slightly. But I hardly ever notice it. It certainly doesn't hum or buzz from the speakers themselves.The hum comes from the back of the set - sounds like an amplifier hum. Not really intrusive at all when you get used to it. Are you guys actually getting it from the speakers themselves? If so I must be lucky because my only gripe is the NTSC moire problem.

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, it hums from the speakers. Switch to an A/V input with no input attached, it hums away, select the A/V input as the digital input, and it goes quiet. I find it really annoying, during quiet periods in movies etc.
    As to a replacement - dunno..............