1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32pg30 or TX32pg50

Discussion in 'TVs' started by declanh, Mar 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Panasonic TX32pg30 or TX32pg50.

Has anyone actually seen either of these sets yet ?

Failing that does anyone have a date for when they hit the streets ?

2. bioTECH

bioTECH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the "man in the shop" they arrive end of March, with the 36" version already on selected release. However, from what I've seen, they're not great. But do check them out.

3. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I assume you mean the what tv and video review ?

I'd like to know their performance relative to the tx32pk20

4. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my pg30 about 1 week ago and was told that Panasonic would be releasing the pg30 and 32pg50 towards the end of March.

I am starting to get concerned about the reports comming out on these models, especially the recent review on the pg50. Has anyone seen either of the 32" models yet? Or has anyone who has a 36pg50 any thoughts as to how it compares with the pk20? I have a chance to change my order so should I get the pk20?

Thanks
    Steve

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a PK20 a long time ago only to find that it's been replaced by the PK25. An email to Panasonic told me that this is only due for release in April and is substantially the same as PK20 except with a new tube.

If they release it in April, I guess it won't be in the shops till May?? so I'm going for a PG30 instead. Thry should be available mid March I'm led to believe.

6. kevinl

kevinl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I received my tx32pg50 about a week ago and I am pleased with the set. I am still working out which settings picture settings to use.

This set seems to improve video playback compared to my old ferguson set. Teletext is far quicker ( nearly instant ) and you can navigate manually through sub pages instead of auto updating.

tv images look nice and clear especially on large areas of single colour. dvd's are also very good.

I downloaded the instruction manual from panasonic before receiving my set. this was useful.

The most important thing of course was that my wife liked the look of it.

If you have any questions please email me

Kevin

7. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    anyone know if the pg30 and pg50 were released together or if the pg30 is still not available ?

8. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Replying to myself ... how sad !

Spoke to my retailer today who tells me that the Northern Ireland distributor is waiting for a container to be filled ... which will hopefully have some tx32pg30s on it.

Declan

9. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke with Panasonic yesterday. The PG30 has now been released by sales for shipment although there are only a few available at the moment. Apparently another shipment is due by the end of next week. If I get mine I will post comments. Still concerned though having seen all of the problems with the 36PG50.

Steve

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a 32PG30 from the local Panasonic dealer here in deepest darkest Wales (Aberystwyth) this afternoon and he's getting a delivery tomorrow. *That's* what I call service [​IMG]

11. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well then , did he get the stock ?
    Have you got the set yet ?
    any comments ?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's being delivered Friday. I'll post my findings once I've had a chance to have a play [​IMG]

13. faizy

faizy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This TV can be found in many shops on Tottenham Court Road in London City. But many on-line shops sells them for very good price, like the the following website
    http://www.qed-uk.com/cgi-bin/q?b-grp=169&b-code=32pg50s&v-bar=8

I am after that TV as well, can you please let me know their postive, as well as negative points? my e-mail is faizy_25@hotmail.com

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've had a play and here are my *initial* findings. (Note: I've not had a chance to play with all the options yet)

- very nice. I've not had a chance to play around with the various options like AI (just seems to increase contrast a bit) and NR (better switched off it seems). But nevertheless, strong colours, good sharpness and *very* solid blacks.
    The only downside I would say is that it really shows up weaknesses in the source. Watch a film that's a few years old and it really shows up all the grain etc. A Bugs Life looks stunning though.
    I am impressed with the Auto widescreen switching, send it a non-signalled letterbox image and it'll zoom it to fill the screen [​IMG]

Sound
    - Not bad. A bit muffled, but plenty of bass. I don't think it has a built in sub but sounds like it has. Good stereo image.

Gadgets & Doodahs
    - Split teletext / picture, picture in picture (apparently, haven't figured out how to do this), strobe (utterly useless) & freeze.

Menu
    - Excellent. The best I've ever used, very logical, lots of options including correction for the Earth's magnetic field.

Connections
    - 2 RGB scarts, woohoo! 'nuff said.

Oh and it has 2 hidden carrying handles in the side, very cool, useful 'cos it's a heavy bugger.

If anyone has any questions, please post 'em here [​IMG]

Andrew

15. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well Andrew - it so happens that I have a few questions :)

1: How does the geomerty shape up - does the picture look square in all aspect modes
    (esp 14:9 and 4:3)

2: How does the TV handle scrolling text (right to left) - eg credits at end of films or shows. Are they blurred - is this made better or worse by have the picture processing on.

3: What about the picture processing modes - are they worth using ? What about progressive scan input.

4: Have you tried RGB DVD input yet ? Any sign of picture banding or digital artifacts?

5: Sound - I've heard reports of a hum from the TX36PG50 is the sound clean on the TX32PG30?

6: Have you seen a TX32PK20 - how does it compare ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Declan Higgins

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Declan

I'll do my best to answer your questions, please bear in mind that I've not had the TV long so these are my initial impressions.

1: How does the geomerty shape up - does the picture look square in all aspect modes
    (esp 14:9 and 4:3)

4:3 seems to exhibit slight concave bowing, 14:9 seems to be better though. I will get an engineer out to sort this out.

2: How does the TV handle scrolling text (right to left) - eg credits at end of films or shows. Are they blurred - is this made better or worse by have the picture processing on.

They seem fine with all picture settings.

3: What about the picture processing modes - are they worth using ? What about progressive scan input.

The various scan options (Auto, 100hz & Progressive) seem to make some difference. All progressive seems to do is make the image flicker, apparently progressive is selected for NTSC material if the setting is set to Auto.

4: Have you tried RGB DVD input yet ? Any sign of picture banding or digital artifacts?

I've tried RGB DVD, there are no artifact problems. There is a big problem which I didn't notice at first but is quite nasty. It only occurs on anamorphic NTSC material. It is a weird "fan" interference pattern at either side of the screen. I have attempted to create an illustration of what I mean in Photoshop: http://www.warmlight.co.uk/images/tx32pg30.jpg) This is the sort of thing I mean. I've spoken to the Panasonic dealer and he didn't sound surprised. He said he'd speak to Panasonic technical on Monday but said they're generally unsympathetic when it comes to NTSC DVD playback :s I'll keep you updated. If anyone else can shed any light on this, I'd be grateful.

5: Sound - I've heard reports of a hum from the TX36PG50 is the sound clean on the TX32PG30?

Nope, nothing.

6: Have you seen a TX32PK20 - how does it compare ?

That was the model I wanted originally, but they've been discontinued and are a bugger to get hold of apparently. It got a blinding review in HCC (as you probably already know).

Hope this helps. Any more queries, just ask.

Andrew

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As anyone else received there TX32PG30 or TX32PG50 yet as I have been waiting nearly 3 months for my TX32PG50 and its driving me crazy.

Neil

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My biggest worry with my "PG" set is that it stop responding to inputs from R/C and front panel. You have to power it down and back up again to get it to respond. (Rather a long winded process if all you want to do is change channel!) Mine, a 36PG50 does is at random intervals. I can only assume that it's the software locking up, seeing as a cold restart resolves it.

20. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I'm in a quandry ....
    I have been offered a TX32PG30 as a replacement for my TX32PK20 which is without the promised 14:9 mode.

Trouble is - I cant work out if this is a wise swap. It the newer set 'better' even if it is more 'feature rich' ?

declan

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they have the potential of being a good TV. As to whether they'll get it there is unknown at the moment. In my opinion it's too much money to be parting with for something that isn't quite right and not consistant in the manner in which it performs. It's a shame.....

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to bring everyone up to date. I spoke to my Panny dealer today, he had spoken to Panasonic this morning who were (unsurprisingly) unaware of any problems with the PG30 and NTSC. They're going to "investigate" and he suggested I call him in a week or so. Hmmmm.

23. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So ,
    Anyone else any news or comments on these sets ?

Is everyone experiencing the 'fanning' effect on NTSC anamorphic ?

Declanh

24. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading the comments about these sets with interest as I own a TX36PG50. I do not suffer the fanning effect mentioned when viewing anamorphic DVD's at all nor do I suffer any lines on the screen or dark corners. Also I do not suffer problems with my TV not responding to the remote control.
    Maybe I'm lucky! Overall i'm very pleased with the set. Picture quality is excellent but it can show up limitation of source material in the form of grain i.e an old film or video. Dolby Digital sound is very good but DTS is really amazing. Compare DTS with DD on Gladiator for example. Overall i'm very pleased.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly wish I could say the same about my TX36PG50. :confused: It's because it doesn't perform consistantly with the same material/source that I'm so concerned, one should be able to expect faithful reproduction, everytime not just when it feels like it........

26. declanh

declanh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A week "or so" has passed - did they have any more news for you Andrew ?

Declan

27. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I have just noticed the line problem TX36PG50 on my set. I previously said that I hadn't seen it. It is noticable on dark/mid tone scenes solely on NSTC anamorphic DVD's. It does look like a kind of fan effect. I'm a bit miffed now. Easiest way to see is if you pause at a black screen (i.e at beginning of movie when Warner logo fades out) and turn the brightness up.
    ColinH/Encaser - Is this exactly the kind of thing you have noticed?

28. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got any of those type of DVDs yet so can't really comment.
    However whilst watching "normal" TV the other night I had the pleasure of a line about 5mm wide scroling up the screen. I don't think was it from the broadcast as it only appeared on certain backgrounds. Eg the bod sitting in the middle of the screen was OK but it could be seen on the background at each side??

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Declan - I went to my Panny dealer yesterday for an update. He said he'd spoken to Panasonic 3 times about it and they weren't interested. He used the standard rubbish saying because it was only a problem with R1 disks they wouldn't support it. I pointed out that the TV was advertised as NTSC compatible, which is clearly isn't. He then said that Panasonic had blamed the regional encoding on the disk and said that that would have to be filtered out, I assured him they were talking out of their backsides. He even tried to blame macrovision until I pointed out that it was disabled in my player. I've made it clear to him that the TV is no good to me as it is, he's sending someone out next week to have a look at the problem (I'd have thought that should've been the first thing they did). But if they can't sort it, it's going back because it's not operating as advertised.

Nick - Yup, that's exactly the kind of problem I've got. On darker scenes it's most noticable. What DVD player do you have (so I can prove out to my Panny dealer that the problem is nothing to do with my Samsung 709)

I have to say, I'm pretty annoyed that I'm having these sort of problems with a TV costing this much, particularly since my Hitachi 32" costing half as much never had such problems.

Andrew

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Earlier today mine for no reason at all jumped onto Channel 0. I was then told it has done this before. The only thing I can think of is S/W problems. As Andrew says, and my opinion too, totally unacceptable for a TV costing this much.