1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PD50

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tb4168, Dec 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently posted over on the PD30 problems thread but I don't think I have a problem, just need advise. I've just bought a TX32PD50 and it seems okay at the moment.

I have ordered the PAL DVE disc so that I can setup the geometry properly. Unfortunately I have fiddled in the service menu without recording original numbers. Probably not a big problem so long as I end up with a satisfactory result.

From reading the posts in the aforementioned thread, I have come up with the following summary/conclusions:

Geometry needs to be set for each SCAN MODE; i.e. 100Hz, 100Hz plus, Progressive and 75/833i. However, setting in one affects all the others so you need to choose the SCAN MODE you like best. I have chosen 100Hz plus for no particular reason. Correct?

Geometry does not need to be set for each of the 3 different VIEWING MODEs; i.e. NORMAL, CINEMA and DYNAMIC. It's best to set geometry in an unused MODE however due to the resetting to default of the PICTURE MENU settings during the process.

Geometry needs to be set seperately for PAL 4:3 and 16:9 and NTSC 4:3 and 16:9. What exactly does this mean? I assume NTSC relates to R1 discs. Correct? My VHS recorder has written on the front "NTSC Playback on PAL TV". What does this mean and do I need the NTSC version of the DVE disc aswell? AV4 is the VHS recorder channel and AV4C is for the DVD player connected to TV via component leads and scart for sound. VHS recorder connects to DVD player via scart and not directly to TV. DVD player is Sony 955. When AV4C is selected and the VHS recorder is playing, I can hear sound but see no picture, why is this?

If I adjust geometry when either AV4 or AV4C is selected, does this change the geometry for the terrestrial channels? When AV4C is selected, the only ASPECT option is 16:9.

When watching terrestrial TV, some transmissions/programmes have black band at top and bottom when in either 16:9 or 4:3 ASPECT. Is this normal? When in 14:9 ASPECT there is only ever a black band at the sides. I normally set to PANASONIC AUTO so this is not really a problem, although occasionally this results in a slight black band at the top and bottom.

I assume the DVE disc will tell me how much of the picture is 'lost' at the edges, I understand 5% is acceptable.

I may have repeated myself a little and repeated things in my previous post - apologies.

Thanks

2. tb4168

tb4168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone able to offer a bit of advise or confirm my conclusions? Thanks to David Sheedy for the info posted on the PD30 problems thread.