Panasonic TX32PD50 TV - HD Ready??

R

redshark313

I have search throught the forum and on the web - with no joy.
The TV I have is a pana TX32PD50 which has a AV4C component and progressive input (3 x RCA video connections (Y, Pb, Pr)) of which I beleive it handles 720i.
I'm very surprised how poor the manual is regarding this information!

Anyhoo, what I wish to find out is whether or not I will be able to connect Sky HD to it (whenever they decide to release it), whether it be a straight connection or should I require the use of adaptors, if someone could please explain it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I do realise this sort of information may have been discuss before, but I just couldn't find it.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
I don't know the set personally but, if it doesn't have HDMI or DVI connections (both HDCP compliant) then it is not HD ready.

Depending on its resolution, it may be capable of displaying an HD picture through its component connection, which will be available on Sky's first batch of HD STB's. All you'll need then is a set of component cables.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Just did a Google search on your TV and found that it is a CRT - it will be no use for Sky's forthcoming HD - sorry.

Cheers,

Martin.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Hello Redshark, and welcome to the forums. I believe that there are no CRT TVs that are HD ready. There are a couple in the UK that can accept 1080i component inputs, but none take 720p, or digital video inputs, or support HDCP encryption, which are all pre-requisites for HD ready. The requirements are best explained here:

http://www.eicta.org/files/PressRelease1-114214A.pdf

regards, Nick

R

redshark313

Thanks for all of your replys.

Nick,

Within the document you directed me to;

1. Display, display engine
the min. native res of the display is 720

Of which my CRT has, and;

2. Video Interfaces
The display accepts analogue YPbPr

Of which my CRT does, and;

HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz ("720p")

Of which again my CRT does.

So I don't understand why it won't accept Sky HD??

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Redshark,

Your TV may be able to be connected to Sky HD via the component inputs, but I'm afraid that does not make it HD ready. The EICTA requirements additionally include HDCP-compatible digital video inputs. Some HD programmes may be received with component inputs, but it's likely that you will need DVI or HDMI with HDCP to receive ALL of them.

regards, Nick

scumball

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure this TV only accepts a 576/480 Progressive signal on the component inputs, if the Sky HD boxes downconvert then you'll be okay but you won't be seeing true HD.

R

redshark313

I can change the scan mode from 75/833i (I believe this is used for graphics or still images) to progressive scan; of which I believe to be 720p (but can't find anywhere in the manual or on the web), it says this input can handle progressive or normal interlaced format??

scumball

Distinguished Member
If you know someone with a softmodded Xbox (or a Snazio, or a DVHS machine or any HD source) you could test out the component connections at 720p and put your mind at rest. I for one would love to know if there is a CRT that can accept a 720p connection...

Golfpunk

I have that set and a 360. Any HD content sent to it is not displayed as HD - only SD. The Aquity mode you refer to cannot actually display True HD. The most it can handle HD wise from the 360 is 480p/60 which is not true HD. 720P shows no picture as it uses a progressive compenent input - the Aquity mode is only available to Interlace Component hence no go.

Still a great TV though and I am reluctant to change to LCD till I see one that matches it for performance on DVD picture.

Hope this helps.

R

redshark313

Well, I think that last post from Golfpunk answers my question best.

Rats, looks like I won't bother upgrading to Sky HD for quite a while then. Thanks to all that took time to post.

Time to start saving for a "HD Ready" unit.......

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom