1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PD50 + SKY Plus

Discussion in 'TVs' started by thedaz, Jul 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the best way to hook this up ? Ive just ordered, get it on 3 may

2. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry August

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Technically RGB Scart should be the best way but the PD30 & PD50 has known issues handling RGB and many find that svideo actually gives a better picture

4. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i get sky+ tomorrow....you reckon i should go s-video with the panny pd 50.......would that be the case on another tv ? Or is that just exclusive to the panny because of the dodgy rgb ? Also does S-Video run through a scart cable or those small round s-video cables to large chunky scart cables ? does this carry sound ? and if not do i need to plug in phonos ?

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    s.video from Sky+ is only available from the round socket - I cannot remember if any of the scart sockets on the PD50 have the capability to take s.video signals ....... Remember that s.video is a signal type as well as a socket shape - if you put s.video into an RGB socket you will get a black and white image.

S.video sockets these days tend to all be 4 pin which is video only - i remember years ago that I did have some with more pins which I assume was to carry sound but I never tested it.

I think that you should test it for yourself rather than saying you should use s.video. If you showed 2 images to 100 people you will get a split of opinions over which is the best. My personal setup is using the s.video from sky+ but my AVR then converts this to a component signal - to me this gave the better picture than using the RGB scart.

6. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the PD50 takes s-video scart and also has component jacks. So you are saying the s-video from the sky box is better than the rgb signal ? :confused:

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    On paper RGB is better than S.Video but it is very close. The reality is that with certain combinations of equipment some people may actually find that s.video does give a "better" picture.

It has been widely reported that some PD30/50 sets have had 'issues' with RGB signals and my personal experience has been that my current setup does give a better picture to my eyes than when I used an RGB scart signal directly from the sky+ box into my TV.

8. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, its here, installed and ready for playing with !!!!!

So where does component come into all this? is that the worst ? and if so what do you use it for ?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    component is for DVD

10. dAVefaulkner

dAVefaulkner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thedaz,

Here's my experience:

RGB should give the best picture but on the Panasonic PD30, it doesn't :mad: It doesn't process RGB signals very well; it much prefers dealing with Y/Cb/Cr component signals.

Component input on the PD30 produces the best picture but the Sky+ Digibox does not have component output :( You could get around this by buying an RGB to component convertor but these aren't cheap and not really worth the improvement versus what you can achieve with S-video anyway, so reserve that input for your DVD player...

S-video should be available on a SCART connector but on the Sky+ Digibox, it isn't :mad: You can use an S-video + L/R audio to SCART cable BUT you won't get auto-switching on 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio or auto-switching from terrestrial analog TV to Digibox when you power-up the Digibox. You need to add a wire between the digibox SCART TV OUT pin 8 and the pin 8 on your telly SCART input, which is effectively what I do. Using S-video instead of RGB results in halving the colour resolution but then you're not going to notice that because all the content is encoded in MPEG2, using a profile that halves the colour resolution anyway!

Disabling the RGB output on the Digibox and just using a SCART to SCART will result in you watching an inferior composite video picture - because the chroma (C) carrier interferes with the luminance (Y) signal (seen as a crawling dotty pattern) and the Y signal resolution is reduced to filter out the chroma carrier. However, the PD30 does a pretty good job of cleaning up the interference - except on scenes with fast movement. I've also observed that scenes with shading in them look less bandy or blocky than S-video or RGB, I believe this is because of the filtering applied to the Y signal.

I hope this helps to explain all the awkwardness and confusion that us viewers are faced with :) Roll on Hi-def and HDMI!

11. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much dave, much appreciated