1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PD50 discontinued/HDreplacement ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JoseD, Oct 7, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I was gonna buy this set and noticed it's become very hard to find. After reading a few posts here it seems it's gonna be discontinued. I was wondering if any of the "insiders" here know if there's gonna be a replacement model or should I start hunting the last rare ones ?
    I would love to see an HD replacement, I'm don't like LCD's plasmas, at least in their current incanation.

CHeers
    José

2. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no there is going to be no replacement for it. Panasonic as a brand have just discontinued a few 32" tvs such as the tx32dtx11 and tx32dtx1 aswell as the PD50 and next year when the tv range comes out they will only be 5 crts two digital 28"s two analogue 28"s and one 32" can't remember if that IDTV or not. but no they will be making no top end tv in the range. the 32" will just be either analogue or IDTV.

3. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does this mean that the trusty old crt's days are numbered :eek:

Seems like all the major players are concentrating on lcd's and plasma's

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    you could try an internet search as some mail order companies may still have some left. :thumbsup:

5. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @llg
    Hmm, where did you got that info ? :rolleyes:

@niceguy23uk

Yeah, but I was hopin to get an HD one, with the advent of bluRay on the PS3 there will probably be some cool HD movies around...

I must confess I'm not much on par with latest developments on Lcd and Plasma stuff but last weekend I've seen a few in a shopping center and the image was sick, full of artifacts on the edges of objects... And amazingly people droll over these things..
    Still nothing beats a good old CRT :)

6. gearguy

gearguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRT's are full of faults to mate.
    The artifacts you are seeing around the edges are most likley from the fact the screens are much higher resolution than the actual signle. Put a low resolution single into a high res CRT and you get gaps between each scanline, not exactly enamoring either is it?
    Also Plasmas and LCDs have the advantage of not breating and having perfect geometry. CRTs have to be allowed to 'breathe' - this is when the image gets larger when more electrons are fired at the phosphor paint, there are ways of reducing breathing and geometrey distortion but you will never do away with it completley.
    Flat and curved CRTs both have advantages, the whole point of the curved screen was to reduce image distortion caused by the electron guns, and the point of flat screen was to reduce image distortion caused by the curved screen but this again re-introduces the problem of the electron guns geometry issues. =) no win situation

7. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. I just done a searched and in US there's still HD CRTs selling.

It just seems too stupid from Panasonic to have the trouble of making the the PD50 screen practically HD, even adding Acuity to help convencional low resolution transmissions take advantage of that, and then abandoning the screen all the way!!! :eek:

8. Hudson

Hudson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just purchased the Panny 36PL32, i did this knowing that in a few years (well months with the 36'') i will find it very hard to find this type of set. As soon as HD really catches i can see virtually all CRT's going the way of the T-Rex. There will always be CRT's of some type (similar to video recorders) but eventually i think they will all go. I just thought that at £499 for the panny it was just too good to turn down. I will wait approx 18 months for HD to really establish it's self, then make my choice for Plasma/LCD/Other ?

9. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @gearguy

Yeah, you got a point. And size in Plasmas is also an advantage. But given today's Plasma's prices I don't think their worth it.

10. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a silly question, the PD50 does seem to have a very good component input, couldn't that receive 720p for example even if not using HDMI ?

11. N0mis

N0mis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking about that too :) anyone got an answer to that question?

edit: just found the answer a few post below......

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249574