Panasonic TX32PD30 (with stand) owners question.

S

Squadron

Hi... A couple of weeks ago, my old Philips 32 inch popped and died. Anyway, unconvinced by standard quality pictures on Plasma I’d demoed (soft/ noisy/ sparkle’s/ motion lag/ etc, to varying degrees) I ended up deciding to take advantage of the current low pricing of second hand, high end crt’s, and leave it for a bit (couple of years at the most), till Plasma, hopefully, caught up.

For £270 (including a three year warranty), I’m now the owner of a Panasonic TX32PD30. After some fiddling in the service menu (thanks to AVForum), the picture quality is now easily on a par with the best aspects of the Plasmas I saw, while exhibiting none of that format’s perceived shortcomings. A 42 inch screen would have been nice, but with my seating distance factored in, 32 inch is absolutely fine.

As PD30 owners will know, it came with it’s own designer stand. However... as I already own a very sturdy equipment stand wide enough to house all my home cinema kit, I had to make a snap judgement as to which one to use (it was a late delivery, and the men clearly wanted to clock off). With the Panny stand clearly unable to house all my bit’s and bobs, I decided to go with the stand I already had (the delivery men agreed that this was probably the right choice), and told the men to add the Panasonic stand to the tip (I just didn’t have the room to keep it hanging around), along with my old Philips.

Couple of days later, it suddenly occurred to me, that there are no ventilation slots on the top of the tv, and that perhaps the reason why the Panny stand had no top base (the tv would have rested on a curved narrow metal bar that mirrored the shape of the tv) is down to the fact that the base of the TV is ventilated. If so, the fact that the PD30 is resting on a flat surface means that this ventilation, if it exists, is now being blocked... which probably ain’t too good. compounding this, is the fact that the TV is giving off something of a dusty aroma when on (though I should stress that it’s not anything akin to a burning smell, and the TV itself is operating flawlessly. Well... actually, it periodically creak’s, but apparently, this is normal. Weird... but normal.)

So... in order to put my mind at rest, could any PD30 owners who have their TVs mounted on the proper stand, take a quick peek at the underside (which will be exposed) to see if it’s ventilated or not. I have a vague memory, when the delivery men tilted it to one side, that it wasn’t, but this could be wishful thinking on my part.

I find it hard to believe that a TV which originally cost £1600 five years ago would be rendered dangerous by resting on a flat surface (as most TV’s do)... but you never know. Perhaps there are PD30 owners out there who have had their tv’s in cabinets for years with no problems.

If I’ve purchased a potential fire hazard (albeit, born of a snap decision circumstance) I’d rather know about it now, so I can take some kind of action.

Sometimes I worry too much about things that others don’t, but better safe then sorry.

Thanks in advance for any info or (if the worst is revealed) suggestions. Any and all will be appreciated.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
You have me a little confused (easily done!).

I've just looked under my 36" PD30 (which I assume is the same design as the 32", but smaller) and the stand has a solid base.

The only ventilation slots visible are on each side towards the top.

Actually, I've always been amazed at how cool these sets run.

Hope this helps. :)

S

Squadron

Thanks TG.

Design looks to be the same. The stand and the TV are so well integrated that you could actually be looking at the base of the TV, however, either way, you're post indicates there doesn't seem to be any ventilation located in that area... Which is good.

Unfortunately, the smell/ fume/ odour that I briefly mentioned seems to be getting worse. Within half an hour of the set being on, it's filling the room and giving me a headache. Never encountered this before, and don't much care for it. I'll call the service people tomorrow.

The set may well give me a lovely picture, but that ain't much use if it suffocates me in the process.:eek:

Thanks again.

RohanM

You have me a little confused (easily done!).

I've just looked under my 36" PD30 (which I assume is the same design as the 32", but smaller) and the stand has a solid base.

The only ventilation slots visible are on each side towards the top.

Actually, I've always been amazed at how cool these sets run.

Hope this helps. :)
I've got a 36PD30 as well - just checked and agree with Tight Git. All vents are on the sides.

The picture quality from this thing is amazing :smashin: - and, like LCDs and Plasmas, you can really tell the difference with better quality sources (even different tv channels or programmes on the same channel, e.g. ITV news at ten (good) vs ITV national weather (poor)).

stevefish69

Whilst my TX36PD30 is off for repair, i took a quick pic to show you the stand is basically a lump of MDF on legs with no vents :D

No laughing at my new Sony upgrade though :rotfl::rotfl:

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Yes, that's what mine looks like, with a solid top. :smashin:

Thanks for the confirmation, as I was beginning to doubt my eyes.

Actually, it comes as a flat pack, with instructions headed by the two most scary words in the English language:

EASY ASSEMBLY! :rotfl: