Panasonic TX32PD30 for £999 at John Lewis??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mike S, Jun 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure I've seen several people here quoting a price of £999 for the TX32PD30 at JL but they've quoted me a price of £1229 which is not quite the bargain I was after, even with a free five year warranty (which given some of the horror stories surrounding this set must be considered an essential).

Was I imagining that price?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Mike S,

The price JL have quoted you is for those customers who don't read this forum!

It's now up to you to challenge them with a pricematch.

Good luck.

3. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I replied to John Lewis saying that I had 'heard' of the set being sold at a considerbly lower price than the one quoted and also insinuated that I had seen it in local stores at a much lower price which isn't strictly true. Not true at all in fact.

How does the pricematch work? I know they won't match with online-only stores as a rule so how have other forum members got their sets for £999? I can't find any stores offering brand new sets at that price and only one online store with a sub £1000 price (who also claim to have a retail store in the West Midlands which I'm trying to get the location/number of to use as my JL bartering weapon)...

I'm pretty keen on getting the set from JL as the 5 year warranty alone is worth a fair chunk of cash and a lot in peace of mind. Plus, they have a pretty decent reputation for after-sales service if things do go awry..

Cheers

Mike

EDIT: In fact it has just occured to me that the best bet for a decent pricematch result would be to quote one of their own customers so if anyone you got the set for £999 from John Lewis (with the extended warranty) would be prepared to be quoted you'd have a fan for life. :)

4. Simez

Simez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it definately Lewis`s that had them for £999?, I've never seen them at that price in the Bristol branch. I ordered my pd30 from the Bristol House of Fraser who had them on sale for a while for £999.

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I dont think the 5 year warranty is necessary, as it does not take to long to determine if you have a good or a bad PD30.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Perhaps some of you have missed the point a little :) You are unlikely to see them in JL for that price, it is up to you now to put up a case fore a price match. Your going to have to work a little for your price match discount.

7. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the end I was too lazy to bother with the price-match hassle and decided that, as Londodecca says, it won't take me five years to determine whether my PD30 is going to be dodgy.

In future I'll just use Barclaycard's Price Promise and buy locally before getting Barclaycard to pay the difference to wherever the item is cheapest (online or real-world). It's much easier.

Should get my TV middle of the week though so fingers crossed it's a good 'un.

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Fingers crossed that you won't regret that decision!

Whilst it's true that it won't take 5 years to see if you've got a good one (5 mins should be enough), like any piece of electronic equipment the Panny can breakdown at any time, and repair could be very expensive.

I went to John Lewis for peace of mind (both initially and for the next 5 years) and to get a good price.

Still, it's up to you and I wish you many years of troublefree viewing. :thumbsup:

9. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yeah, my fingers are well and truly crossed! Speaking of the cost of repairs on out of warranty equipment, my ipod headphone socket is up the creek and the cost to repair it?

A staggering £159 according to Apple!!!

That price has made me very angry indeed. £159 for a poxy headphone socket! This time I'll vote with my wallet and I'm gonna ditch the ipod and buy something from someone else. Sony's player, due late this year, looks very impressive but in the meantime Phillips players look useful enough.

But, back on topic, hopefully the new Panny will be OK. I've got two years warranty which is better than nowt I suppose. And I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running, hopefully in time for England vs Portugal

:clap: :thumbsup:

10. chrisw112

chrisw112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike S

Which branch was selling the PD30 at £1299?

I have checked on their website - and no mention of it.
    I am looking to buy the PD30 and if I can get the pricematch from JL all well and good.

11. Mike S

Mike S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got that price from JL Cheadle and JL Liverpool...