1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32PD30 Connection Questions

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Valiant, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello I'm fairly new here and have only been around for a few weeks as my father recently invested in a new Panasonic Setup.

We've got a...

Panasonic TX32PD30 (TV)
    Panasonic NV-SV 120EBS (SVHS VCR)
    Panasonic SCHT 500 (DVD Home Cinema)
    Panasonic Digital Satellite Reciever from 2000 (can't find the model number)

At the moment we've got things set up like this.

1) Techlink 5m gold plated scart to scrat connector cables from SVHS to TV
    2) Techlink 5m gold plated scart to scrat connector cables from DVD to TV

3) Techlink 1.5m gold plated scart to scrat connector cables from Satelite Reciever to SVHS

4) JVC CN JS238 gold plated phono extension leads from DVD to Satellite

5) RF between Satellite and SVHS

6) RF between SVHS and TV Aerial Multibox which manin digital signal goes into (Three other TV) signals are plugged into this to transmit Digital to all the downstairs TVs in the house.)

Okay I've got some questions regarding this setup which I'm hoping this forum can answer.

Firstly why is it that I cannot recieve Nicam through digital and it only appears to work on certain BBC terrestrail programmes. This seems very strange.

How can you tell if a programme is meant to be transmitting in Nicam or Dolby Digital or Pro Logic? Should I be recievbing Nicam from all channels and programmes on digital.

What benefit would running a Scart from the Reciever directlt to the TV make in AV1?

I've no idea why my father was sold these JVC phono leads. He seems to think that they'll help him transmit sound through the home cinema speakers on certain films. I just don't understand what they are meant to be doing.

The lady at the shop tried to sell him a set of component leads. I'm aware that the TV has component sockets on the back on AV3. However the Video, DVD or Reciever do not have these sockets so I'm at a loss as to why he was advised to purchase them from the people at the Panasonic shop?!?

Any recommendations for improving this setup or just comments would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I have explained it well enough but I'm really quite a novice at all this stuff as it's the first really nice TV we've bought (the last one being a $:3 Mitsubishi from 1993.)

Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am no expert but I think that some of your problems are arising by using RF connections as I don't think that stereo or pro logic will be decoded from an RF lead and will need a scart connection.

I believe that you are also limiting yourself to a composite video signal from your Digibox whereas it can oitput an RGB signal which is of much higher quality.

3. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've tried watching some things tonight.

Regarding sound.

All the terrestrial channels are transmiting in Nicam

When I switch to Sky Digital BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch4 are transmitting in Mono only.

This seems rather strange to me as I was under the assumption that the SCART from Digital Reciever to Video then the SCART from VCR to TV would carry all the important stuff that was needed which is what Ian was talking about in his first paragraph. Is the fact that I'm re-routing my TV signal around to the other TV's in the house using the old style RF leads into the hub box affecting this?

I don't understand how I'm limiting myself to a composite signal instead of an RGB as you said. Surely the scart to scart from reciever to video then video to TV is carrying this otherwise what else is it doing?

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Somehow, somewhere, you must have your Sky hooked up by an RF cable. As Ian J has mentioned, you will only get a mono signal through an RF cable. I think you should have a scart cable connecting your VCR and Sky and then into the TV via scart also.

5. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you must be right. This distributor box for the other tV signals around ths house is causing me the headaches as it's complicating things in my head.

So what does having a Scart between VCR and Satellite Reciever actually do then?

Excuase my ignorance on these matters I'm still learning.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK here we go:
    SCART from SKY>TV RGB scart (RGB enabled in SKY):
    SCART from SKY VCR out>VCR For recording sky in composite video and stereo.(DVD recorder would have been a better but more costly option.~)
    SCART VCR > TV AV2 (S-video SCART)
    Home cinema sytem if it has component output go to AV4 YUV connections if not Scart to RGB socket
    Stereo phon leads from sky to HC system and from VCR to HC system for DPL/DPL2 surround sound RF to VCR>TV only!
    To watch sky go to AV input 1 (not channel 6 or whater, crappy PQ and sound on RF) Same with VCR AV2 not channel 0.

PD30 should have 2 RGB scarts 1 S-video scart and 1 YUV/S-video socket inputs. YUV corresponding to the Red Green and BLue round sockets.

Avoid using RF at all costs (scart carries stereo)
    THis might confuse the hell out of you but will give better results. Never watch sky through VCR and make sure Sky has RGB enabled, IF HC system has scart inputs for VCR and Sky use these, (why 5m leads if gear needs it OK if not take 5m ones back and use the shortest you can 1.5m will do if gear is under TV and even 0.75m in most cases! Probably salesman maximaising commision but hey)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK Valint for TV distribution around house that is a different matter get the Main TV sorted and then I'll help you with distribution.

8. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I think I've got my head around it now. Unfortunatley the SC HT 500 does not have Component sockets. I think the 900 model is the first to.

I'll try and get this sorted over the weekend as I'll have to go and buy another lengthy SCART cable from the Panasonic shop for the Satllite to TV and an extra set of stereo phono leads.

We actually need these really long Scarts due to the setup as all the leads travel adjacent behind a stone fireplace about 3m-5maway. £50 a pop. Grrrrr!

Thanks for all your help hornydragon.

9. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereo phon leads from sky to HC system and from VCR to HC system for DPL/DPL2 surround sound RF to VCR>TV only!

Regarding this.

On the VCR I've got a set of L/G and R/D audio
    On the satellite I've got a set of L/G and R/D audio

On the HC DVD I've got...

One set labelled VCR Audio In /Aux
    One set Labelled TV Audio In

This means I can easily connect the leads from VCR to HC but then what? I thought the Tv ones had to go into the back of the TXPD30 which leaves me with no where to connect the satellite leads as I'm out of sockets.

Lastly the manual for this Television is bloody awful for a TV of this quality. You don't even get a clear shot of the back of the TV with all the sockets labelled correctly. :mad:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    USe Sky as TV in and VCR as VCR in that way you will get Surround from VCR and Sky and DVD not from analogue terrestrial.
    I suggest you look at tlc-direct thor scart leads and hificables etc who will have decent 5m leads for £30 then when you go to pannasonic shop play your face a bit and see if they will throw in a free cable because of all the hassle.

11. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats not a bad price for an IXOS 5m!

13. Valiant

Valiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How good are the vivanco set of leads? I know they are a little cheaper as I've seen a 5m for "20 at a hif fi shop localy. Just wondering about the quality.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Vivanco are ok but not the best, personally i think Bandridge profigold are better but a bit more expensive, Whats this lead for? if VCR no worries if RGB source especially Digital TV i would spend the extra!