Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic TX32PB50 slight problem - shall I compain?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jmjm, May 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had a Panasonic TX32PB50 for nearly 2 years and have been surprisingly happy with it - I have not had any of the many problems I have seen reported in this forum. Picture is great, no geometry problems and sound was fine. Until now.

Last few weeks it has developed intermittent sound problems - slight buzzing at the back and short cutouts while watching Sky. Not major though - couple of times a night.

I phoned Lakes where I bought it (with extended warranty) and they said they would send out an engineer to "upgrade the software as this normally cures intermittent problems". I assumed they meant that they would upgrade the firmware. The engineer came out and merely did a factory reset (which I could have done myself) but said that he had "flashed the eeprom chip". When I laughed at him he changed his story and said that you cannot upgrade the firmware on this model as it is analogue not digital. This sounds like crap to me.

In any case, the reset has not cured the problem. Shall I call them out again in which case they will take the TV away. Or shall I phone Panasonic? Can the firmware be upgraded? I am just not sure whether to kick off about it ang go throuh all the aggro when it is a fairly minor, intermittent problem that I cannot reproduce on demand. Please advise.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like - PSU fault, resistors/caps and scan coil (can sometimes buzz)

Not a firmware fault. If it was the TV just wouldn't operate properly when you first got the thing!

That engineer talking out of his hole. Possibly the f/w can't be updated - could be a surface mount in which case impractical. However if it's a socketed EEPROM only takes 1 minute to remove and slot in the new chip.

Nowt to do with analogue or digital. More baloney sandwich!

3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    "Shall I call them out again in which case they will take the TV away. Or shall I phone Panasonic? "

Panny are legally obliged to do nothing , your contract is with the retailer so you need to ring them .

Best of luck (from a former PB50 owner)