Panasonic TX32LZD85 vs Pioneer KRL-32V

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by dstern, Feb 8, 2009.

1. dstern

dstern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am trying to decide between these two sets. Does the picture quality of the Pioneer justify the difference in price?

I have to buy the TV from Amazon as I won a competition have a large Amazon gift voucher to use up. The Panasonic on Amazon is £663.45 and the Pioneer £775.00.

I had a look at both of them in John Lewis today and the display on the Pioneer seemed quite a bit darker (not just the blacks- everything was quite dark) which was surprisign given the rave reviews I have seen. However, I did notive that the colours seemed more natural. Unfortunately the quality of the feed did not seem great so it was hard to judge the quality overall.

I am a little concerned by the complete lack of customer reviews of the Pioneer set on Amazon. I guess this is because the price was previously so ridiculously high.

I am also slightly worried why the price of the Pioneer has fallen quite so drastically. Could this be related to this news?
    Report: Pioneer to Pull Out of TV Business - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    Would be worrying to buy a TV it the support is going to disappear in the near future...

These concerns are making me lean towards the Panasonic, especially as I can get the 37" Panasonic set and some spare change for the same money as the 32" Pioneer.

Anyway, advice would be welcome! Thanks..:)

2. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Any reason you are after the 1080p LCD at such a small size? I cannot personally see any reason unless its going to be used close up as a computer monitor.... :confused:

Save your money get the Panasonic LXD85 for *considerably* less and the PQ is better than the above LZD85 for virtually everything anyway its just the 720p panel of the same screen....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-T...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234144969&sr=8-1

£460 ... a few hundred quid to save over both.

Or go up to a 37" and get a panel which imho will probably do a better job than all the above as far as picture quality goes... sound however will not be as good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-T...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234145060&sr=1-3

again much less money for a better screen and bigger....

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. dstern

dstern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah now you have thrown a plasma into the mix, I hadn't considered that.

Thanks for the advice! :)

However, wouldn't 1080p be worth it at 37"? I am mainly planning on using the set for DVDs and games (I don't watch TV much).

Cheers

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You can get the Pio from TLC Broadcast for £679 including a 5 year warranty. Mine should be arriving tomorrow and I'll probably post my thoughts on it later in the day.

5. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Console gaming? if so then its mostly 720p or lower anyway from 360 and ps3 the very few odd games are 1080p...

If its PC gaming then 1080p is worth it... if you are up close and personal..

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    OK, here are my thoughts on the Pioneer KRL-32V having received mine yesterday - It's stunning! It has easily the best picture I've seen from an LCD with a very plasma-like quality to it, no doubt due to it having a glossy screen. If you have a little ambient light in the room, the blacks really are completely black and, as a result, the colours are excellent too. It doesn't have a problem with any source either with even Sky through RGB Scart looking respectable.

The OP is correct in saying the Pioneer has a slightly 'darker' picture than many other LCDs but, from what I've seen, that simply makes the picture look more natural. Rest assured, when necessary, it can display some really bright whites as well.

I'd really struggle to find any negatives about this set but the usual LCD suspects do come into play. The viewing angle is limited but nowhere near as much as some people have been making out and there is a small inkling of motion blur at times. Also, the fact it has a glossy screen means reflections could be a problem but you'd get that with a plasma as well. Other than that, I couldn't be happier that I got this set for under £700 with a 5-year warranty. :thumbsup:

7. dstern

dstern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I'll have another look in the shop before I finally decide but what you have said confirms what I have been thinking.

My impression is that a lot of TV manufacturers seem to apply rather over the top settings for contrast to make the colours look impressive on display. I have noticed this particularly for the Sony TVs (I was originally thinking of going for the Sony W series). This makes the honest settings of the Pioneer seem almost dull by comparison when seen side by side but definitely more natural.

8. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    On the pioneer the viewing angles are absolutely killer... just 20 degrees out sees a massive lost in contrast and colour.... Look at the none 1080p sets for a better result :smashin:

9. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    That makes perfect sense since the default settings on the Pioneer are actually very close to what I reached after calibration which is pretty shocking given what I've experienced from other TVs in the past. All I needed to do to get a perfect picture was change the colour temperature from 'Normal' to 'Low' and lower the contrast by just 1 notch. Even the backlight was set to '-5' by default (the best setting) instead of '+16' (the highest setting) as you might expect.

10. coxy76

coxy76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I just read your thread on the back of buying a Pioneer KRL-32V. I rigged it up last night and it appears vey dark on out of the box settings. Now this is my first LCD tv and I have played a bit and don't know if has been callibrated before hand and should be left as is. I have a Pioneer plasma and I know you would never get the same picture quality as this from the lcd but I would like to try and get close with the picture. Has anyone any recommendations of the what the settings should or would be (brightness, contrast etc). I am running a SKY + box with apretty decent scart cable and was also wondering if this would be the best source to carry the picture. Or would it be beneficial to buy a loft ariel (not a roof one just internal) and use the freeview stuff for a better picture?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks :lease::thumbsup: