1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD52 Dog B******S

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RyanK, Oct 15, 2005.

1. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have just set up my 52 and WOW!!!!

If you cannot decide between the 500 and the 52, save yourself £400 and go for the 52.

So far i am using the TV`s settings but the picture is WOW.

DVD Component Via PAL Progressive and NTSC Non-Progressive is outstanding.

MY 2 test discs are R1 Goldeneye Pre Titles and R2 Die Another Day Pre- Titles.

Image is spectacular, NO blurring whatsoever.

Sky+ Via RGB Scart. As you would expect not as good as above but still stunning picture.

Pace Twin Via Oxygen 75ohm Scart. Ugh as you would expect FREEVIEW lets the side down. Horrible pixilation.

Internal Freeview. Surprisingly this is quite a good picture. Much better than my external PACE Twin View FREEVIEW.

As another member has posted as soon as you plug in the TV it tunes itself automatically.

I don`t like the Auto widscreen mode. I find you have to tune to a 4:3 broadcast and select 4:3. Then when you switch to a 16:9 broadcast it changes correctly.

Also you have to maually choose Component in and again change the Aspect manually.

I hate Panasonic remote controls and Menus and they are as bad as i thought they would be. (Sony is best for remotes and menus)

On the whole this is an amazing TV. I will post my pics tomorrow.

2. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Yes.

Entirely agree.

Matsush*ta Electrical Industry Co. Ltd are currently at the very top of their game.

Where are we, precisely, in the UK?

Shocking. And a disgrace. Completely.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I will agree with that, it is hard to imagine the 500 being better than the 52 picture quality wise as it would take some improving on. I have seen both the 500 and 52 on in a shop but the pictures are always so terrible from their feeds that I wouldn't have bought any make or model, let alone tell apart any picture quality differences if they existed.

As I have the 52 now and the 500 is never likely to be sat aside it my living room for me to make a comparision it doesn't really matter if the 500 has an edge here or there if it is indeed different in some way, so I will never know.

I think you'll find it even better once you tweak the settings a bit and certainly in my opinion a huge improvement in turning of the "dynamic" (I'd like to call it the "buy me I am brighter than the other TVs in this shop") setting. :)

Yes Freeview is pretty horrible due to too many channels being pushed at the expense of the quality, it is the TV equivalent of DAB.

This seems to be working okay for me. It seems to detect the wide screen signal and shows "Wide" briefly and I assume then doesn't apply any zooming even if the 16:9 footage is further letter boxed? On non-wide screen signals the options become 'Panasonic Auto' and then various zoom settings for manual control. The auto detects the edges and zooms in or out accordingly, although it can appear to get stuck but does eventually switch, I think this is just to stop erroneous switching.

Yes I agree it is very impressive, can't wait to sit down and watch a good film on it.

Regards

Phil

4. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

Dynamic is HORRIBLE

I`m using Cinema and Cool

5. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,316
    Ryan,

Excellent, I'm glad you love the Panasonic :smashin:

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Cannot agree more with turning the dynamic well and truly off - I have my 500 on "normal"/"cool"/ sharpness right down with colour down slightly.

Really pleased you've got your panel after being messed about by Empire.

Matt

6. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    This screen is so good, when i was watching my test disc the pre-titles of Die Another Day. When the hovercraft smashes through the bell house and seems to be coming straight at you and falls over the waterfall. I DUCKED!!!!. :oops: I couldn`t belive it, even when i watched it at the cinema i didn`t flinch :eek:

7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Pace twin on the samsung is dissapointing.....can't use on the TV tuner as I wan't the HD facilities of the pace twin. Shame these lcd's haven't got Hard Drive's on board !!

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Well the Panasonic isn't quite so good this morning after it woke me up at 2am :) I could hear voices and conversation coming from down stairs and wondered what was going on, as I woke up I soon guessed it was the TV so had to get up to switch it off.

Turns out in standby the TV will switch itself on if another component comes on which is daft if you are recording something as you are more than likely not there to watch it! Is there a way to stop this happening (apart from remembering to turn it off completely), can't see anything obvious in the setup menus?

Regards

Phil

9. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i`d never leave a TV in standby overnight.

consumes too much electric plus if the TV shorts out say goodbye to your house and before you say anything i have had a TV that caught fire.

10. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Granted, but there will be a time when I or someone else forgets to flick the switch and then the set could come on, just would rather have it not responding to other equipment. The instructions talk about Q-Link being the mechanism this works by so I will try telling the TV the Q-Link device is on AV2 (which has nothing at the moment), hopefully that will do it.

Regards

Phil

11. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ryan,

the important question is....have you got over the 'wish I'd bought the 500 feeling'?

Dave

12. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

i can say with my hand on my heart YES!!!!!!

I`m glad i empire screwed up with my 500 and that i got the 52 instead. I have a cracking TV for £1109. I paid £800 for my 28" Sony Trinitron TV 5 years ago, so an extra £300 for a TV with a larger screen and HDTV ready is amazing.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Does the 52 have a computer input ? I was hoping to get one that I could connect my pc to via a proper PC connection.

14. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi m8 any pics , does it have a vga connection, cant seem to find it when checking specs

15. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    NO pc connection. for that you need the 500.

16. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    NO VGA

it has 3 scarts(2 RGB), HDMI, Component, Audio(phono) in/out

17. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what would be the best adaptor/cable to connect this to a pc , gather i would be using the hdmi on the tv so an adaptor and cablt would be needed to connect to the dvi on the pc.
    new to this so bare with me.

18. BigJohnson

BigJohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys
    Can anyone confirm what AV connectors the 52 has? Is it the same as the 500, ie component & HDMI?

Thanks

19. Funster

Funster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely got component and 1 x HDMI. See attachment for the rest of the details.

It really is an excellent bit of kit. If it came in a 37" I would have probably would have bought it instead of my Toshiba. If they just could have included a PC input it would be superb. The 500 with all its SD card recording and gadgets isn't worth the extra £400.

Glad you're enjoying it RyanK. :)

Attached Files:

20. SMcL

SMcL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my infinite wisdom I have been reading this forum for months and being a bit of a technophobe I took a lot of advice and plumped for the 32 inch Panny LCD about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely superb choice, so thanks - however I have 2 kids under 4 who like to play with controls. I now have "AV2" displayed on the screen permanently! How do I get this off? In the words of a famous person in distress - please help me you're my only hope...........

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I think it will be the "i" button on the remote control that will toggle this display on and off.

22. BigJohnson

BigJohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, almost ready to buy the panny 52. Can anyone recommend a good surround system. Looking at the Panny HT520 - seems to have had good reviews?

Thanks

23. davidac

davidac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was interested in getting the LXD52 but a bit concerned about the low response time. The Panasonic shop quoted 16ms, is this correct? Is there any noticable blurring?
    Are Panasonic just being more honest about the refresh rate?
    Has anyone managed to use the DVI (or HDMI whichever its got) with a PC or do I need to spend an extra £300 for the port with the LXD500 (Panasonic must be joking).
    How good is freeview on this LCD?

24. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the 26" version of this LCD, and its amazing. the quality has totally blown me away. Freeview is perfect, and I have friends who have the Samsung 26" and they even said the Panny set is so much better.

Im thinking of putting the 26" in the bedroom now, and buying a 32" for the lounge.

Ade

25. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

it has a 14ms response time, and believe me there is NO blurring.

26. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all

It was a close call for me buying an LCD - I plumped for the new Sony V32 over the Panny TX52/500 but mainly reasons of styling. They both have fantastic PQ. The best there is IMO. Interested to know if any of you guys have tried the Panny with games consoles. The only criricism I have with my Sony is that I get some very slight blurring (the background losing a little focus as it were) when I pan around in a game. There's no blurring at all in movies etc. To be honest I've yet to see an LCD that did not blur a wee bit with gaming.

If you have any objective (lol) opinions I'd be interested....

27. aks

aks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual says you can connect a DVI equipped PC to the HDMI socket.

ebuyer has such a cable: DVI to HDMI.

Also Lektropacks here.

No idea whether they actually work, but hope to try someday!

28. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does this LCD suffer from the auto contrast feature that is on the Plasma versions?

29. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Not sure exactly what you mean? There is an auto contrast feature based on a sensor at the front of the set, but this only operates with the TV in Auto mode so you can turn it off, not that I have noticed it doing anything anyway, but maybe that is the point?

For those asking about inputs it has:

3xSCART (2 are RGB in and one is Video/S-Video only). Front S-Video in, and an HDMI connector at the rear.

A handy tip, download the manual at http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp, that way you can find out all about it's features from the actual functional point of view, rather than the sales talk.

Regards

Phil

30. m1ne5h

m1ne5h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get my 32lxd52 yesterday, and was simply blown away.
    To be honest I haven't really setup the tv in terms of contrast and it's currently set to normal settings, but the PQ was simply amazing. I chose this set over the Tosh 32wlt58 based on what I thought was a much better PQ on the Panny and I don't regret it one bit.

DVD playback althought only for about 10 mins using Shrek was simply stunning. I have an NTL box, and the PQ is not bad, but nothing compared to DVD as you would expect again with the inbuilt freeview the PQ drops down a slight notch against NTL.

On the whole the Panny is faultless but going to this from a 25" 4:3 Sony TV (10 + years old) maybe I'd be blown away by any upgrade :D