1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD500 Owners

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simonio, Aug 19, 2005.

1. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all the hype surrounding this lcd tv, im thinking about taking the plunge.
    A couple of questions though that I havent found the answer to so far:

I have:

a thomson sky digital set top box
    a philips dvdr880
    a uk xbox

..they are all currently connected to my trusty 24" philips crt via scart (with an excellent picture quality by the way). Is it true the panny doesnt have scart or only has 1? What would be the best way of connecting this equipment up for the best possible picture?

Appreciate anyones help as im a bit of a newbie on this kind of thing.

Cheers
    Simon

2. DeekosRSV

DeekosRSV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panny 500 and have to says its awesome.
    The set has 3 scart sockets (2 RGB), componant, composite, s-vhs, PC and of course HDMI connections.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Err... where is the S-Video input - couldn't find it on the one i bought last night....

Ah, actually, i bet it's on the front panel isn't it....

4. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! :)

5. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great. Do you have regular sky? If so, whats the pq like?

6. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    To butt in... (thanks Miles btw...) only bought the panel last night so only a quick setup and test, but using the in built freeview the PQ is very very impressive... so with Sky i should imagine it'll be a further step up.

Std settings are a bit bright - all seem to have the contrast on maximum - which was excessive... so a very quick bit of tweaking improved things a lot.

7. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats your viewing distance Scott?

8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Err... probably about 10ft i reckon, was rather drunk when i got home last night to watch it, so can't actually recall how wide our lounge is (new flat!)

9. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough mate, heavy session was it!? :)

10. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Well it started out as just a quick drink...

11. bjl1953

bjl1953
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm collecting mine from Debenhams tomorrow (took less than a week for it to arrive) together with the Pan. dvd/vhs recorder that was part of the deal.

Can anyone advise the best way to connect these and my sky digibox? Is the dvd connected between the sky box and the TV like the old vhs/crt set up or independently? If the latter, is the sky box also connected to the dvd or does recording from sky take place through the TV? Finally what's the best type and make (at a reasonable price!) cables to use?

Sorry I'm so thick about these matters - any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BJL

12. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BJL

Do you know if this model is available generally throughout Debenhams stores or just the larger ones ?

Gogglebox

13. bjl1953

bjl1953
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gogglebox,

No idea, I'm afraid. I've only been to the Plymouth store recently. I saw it there 3 weeks ago on offer at £1299 including a free dvd player (or £150 off a higher spec machine). I only ordered it last week, after the offer had officially finished, when I realised what a good price it was. You could try phoning the Plymouth store (01752 603464 direct to the TV department) to see if they'll still sell it for that price. They offered to deliver it to me for an extra £50, which may be an option. Good luck.

BJL

ps Can you advise on my connection query?

14. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I saw the 500 LCD running in Hughes electrical in Clacton yesterday. It was showing a freeview image and I was very, very impressed. Was debating between this and a couuple of other models for the bedroom but what I saw yesterday has convinced me to go with the Panny. Now it's just a question of price, the £1799 they wanted for the 32" was for too much. I know they can be had much cheaper online so I'll be looking around. Probably going to be buying at the end of the month.

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'd hang on if I were you, as the Panny 500 is now just another average LCD. Why? well I have just seen the long awaited V Series Sony HD Ready LCD panel. If you dare to look into the face of this particular panel then you will end up selling your soul to the devil just so you can have one. Don't believe me then go and take a look, the PQ on the Sony just leaves everything else in its wake. Styling PQ integrated Freeview 32" and all for £1799.

16. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    No this is the Sony V series I saw in Comet Midlands yesterday running a Sky feed and blowing all other LCD panels off the shelves as regards PQ, and you know how critical and picky I am about LCD panels. Don't take my word for it though, go and see for yourself, only take a bible with you, or better still phone a priest before you set off. This makes all other LCD panels simply toothpaste I'm afraid.

18. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have had the panny 500 for about 6 weeks now and it's the best picture for the price ofd any LCD/Plasma. My question is settings..... could any suggest the best settings for this LCD at the moment I have left it on Auto with a little added colour thats my taste but I am unsure re contrast, brightness etc your help/advice would be most welcome

19. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Are you sure you were not seeing a Hi Def feed that comet seem to be doing with sky at the moment?

20. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Everyone to his own taste. Just fiddle until you're happy... ;)

21. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes I am sure - it was Sky News fed via a scart lead. On a slightly different tack, I am fast coming to the conclusion that a 32" model is just not a big enough increase in size and that a couple of weeks down the road I'll wish I had gone for a larger panel. What's made me realise this is that in addition to the cardboard templates I tried last week the Mrs was still not convinced by this exercise, so today I have come up with another one. I have marked out the exact screen measurements of a 32" LCD on the surround of our present Panny 28"CRT, then using a highlight pen and a straight edge I drew the screen outline all the way round. Although on paper I am gaining a full 5", when you actually see it superimposed on your existing t.v. it really does not seem that much of an increase. I think that whatever I eventually choose it is going to have to be at least 37". After all, this is my main reason for upgrading i.e. the 28" was a mistake size wise.

22. scw

scw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    bjl1953 – I’ve also sent you a PM, please could you let me know which DVD was included with the LXD500 deal…thanks.

23. scw

scw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That’s the Debenhams deal I was referring to for the benefit of others…perhaps is anyone knows the model number they can let me know…thanks.

24. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thought they weren't becoming available untill much later in the year, are they available now? £1799 is a bit steep though, is it really £400-£500 better than the Panny?

25. macsk

macsk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion Sony is not the mark it used to be in glory days of Trinitron and WEGA. LCD producers like Sharp, Samsung, Panasonic or Philips are miles ahead from Sony, as Sony got a little bit asleep in the area of LCD TV technology.
    I had the chance to see Pioneer's plasmas and Panasonic's LCD TV's in comparison to their opposits from Sony - all were connected to HD feed. In fact, they all have very good picture, but the best PQ produced Panasonic (TX32LX500P).
    I don't want to urge you that Sony LCD is a scrap, to be fair its pretty good, I just don't agree with Faust, that Sony is such a fantastic LCD TV. But you have to make your own picture, just go & compare.

26. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Couldn't get the local Debenhams to match the deal... did get it for £1700 with a 3 year warranty though, so not bad....

Got the actual set for £1500, could have got it cheaper in a couple of places, but handy to collect from a store rather than take a day off work!

Now up and running too, and looks stunning!

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Everything AV used to be Sony in our house, now it's Panasonic, however, having seen the new Sony V series it has got to be the Sony, but don't take it from me, go see. The other problem is that Panny are only going to carry on with 32" which if you are going for flat panel is just not large enough. Certainly after drawing the outline of a 32" on the surround of my Panny 28" CRT I realised just how small a gain I would be making.

28. POMPEY

POMPEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeeeeeeehaaaa....

Massive thankyou to you BJL for your post about Debenhams in Plymouth. I used the phone number quoted above this morning and spoke to a very nice young man who said he could do the same deal for us no problem....

We opted for the Panasonic TX-32LXD500 with Panasonic SCHT-1500 DVD recorder/home cinema and got 3 year warranty on the tv and 1 year on the DVD cinema.....all for a staggeringly low price of £1549.98

The guy at the Plymouth store rang round a few of the other shops in the South of England and we have just been out to pick both items up from their Croydon branch.

When I went up to our local Panasonic showroom in Bognor Regis we we're quoted a massive £2599.98 for it all ....what a saving!

Cheers fella! I owe ya a beer or three ;) :smashin:

I've been glued to these forums for the last 3 weeks since our old Sony CRT started playing up, took the plunge today as it finally packed up last night. Many thanks to you all for your very informative posts.

Will let you know how we get on with it...just gotta get it out of the boxes. :clap:

29. Spacedog

Spacedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust, i know you've already seen de V32 in action but did you also saw the S32? If you had to choose between the Panny TX32LX500F (that's the model reference here in Portugal) and the Sony S32, would you still go for the Sony S32? It's just that i don't know what to do: buy the Panny now or wait one more month to watch the Sonys and compare (either the S and the V will only be available here in one month at least)... :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

30. Gogglebox

Gogglebox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi POMPEY

Congratulations on securing that deal.

Just as a minor point. How did they ship it to you and was it all packaged up safely and securely ?

It just concerned me, especially in the light of Colgate7110's post.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237252

Gogglebox