1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD500 or Sony KDLV32A12U?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Smi1er, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the past six months I've been looking at LCD TV's. The time has now come as I have two lovely green lines across the screen of my existing 25" 4:3 Sony CRT. This should suggest that I only replace a TV when it needs replacing, i.e. when it's bust!

Firstly a list of what we run. Video/DVD player and NTL. I might get a dvd recorder, I might not. We might swap to Sky, we might not. What I do know is that the TV must be HD ready and if I'm spending £1K+ I want a damn fine picture.

Having viewed the LCD's on the market I have come to the conclusion that it's going to be either the Panasonic TX32LXD500 or Sony KDLV32A12U.

I'm not bothered about the price difference. I do however want the best of the two.

Can I have opinions please as to why one is better than the other?

2. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Both panels will provide you with a fine picture. However, add the fine picture to stunning looks and the Sony V series wins hands down. The Panny has an overly heavy frame which simply adds to the overall width. Lets be honest, if the Panny was a girl at a dance then you would not approach this one until you had downed quite a few sherbets. When they were handing out looks the Panny sisters certainly joined the wrong queue. And this from someone who loves Panasonic products - usually.

3. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other comments?

4. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Smiler,

I disagree with Faust. Being a Sony fan at heart, I waited until I could compare the two sets you have short-listed side by side. The picture on both is excellent, but we preferred the look of the Panasonic, not by much, but for us the Panny just edged it.

We have the Panny on order (in fact delivery is apparently due tomorrow ) and can't wait to couple it up to the Panasonic DMR-EH60D dvd recorder that was delivered a few days ago.

Hopefully we'll be as delighted as all the others seem to be who are using their LXD500's now.

Cheers Jerry

5. scw

scw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was waiting to see the Sony but jumped on the LCD bus when the Panasonic 500 came along at a good price. About a week later the Sony arrived in the shops and looking at the images on the web I was under the impression that it looked fantastic and so wondered if maybe I should have waited a bit longer.

However, having seen one in the flesh at the weekend I’m not so sure and am more than happy with the Panasonics looks. Yes she is a little bit fuller than the Sony but in no way does this make her the ugly sister as Faust suggests.

Also a point worth bearing in mind is that the Sony V series has a very thin piece of speaker cloth covering the speakers at the bottom and I hate to think what this will look like when it gets a bit shabby which I’m sure it will with dust etc. Certainly I could see this becoming baggy and plucked if you tried to hover it.

The picture quality on my Panasonic is great and lives up to all the reviews in the press recently. The Sony looks to have an equally good image but is yet to be tested so who knows what the reviewers will think. I don’t regret my choice at all.

6. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I was in a similar predicament sony or panny, i'm gald that my sitting room boasts the SONY , much slimmer frame and clasier look woth the slim frame, picture wise i find it brighter and the colours far more vivid, better than i was ever expecting from an LCD tv.

7. benlonguk

benlonguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my post on the Sony's web user guide. I've seen the Sony and the Panasonic next to each other and the Panasonic is by far the best.

8. Smi1er

Smi1er
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:

I was in Comet today and I saw the two side by side running of the same feed. I asked for the remotes to have a play and have to say that the Sony was better of the two.

I did have the Panny on order but cancelled.

I'm waiting for the magazine reviews.