Panasonic TX32LXD500 - Excellent

M

Madshark

Just wanted to share my recent experience. I wanted a 32" LCD TV and started to research them. Due to budget, availability and a review in a "What ..." magazine I went for a Samsung LE32R41BDX. it was OK and if you get it for £900's it is a good telly. However I had a couple of dead pixels :( and decided to take it back for a refund. I didn't want to take the risk on buying an inferior product so went for my #1 choice the Panasonic TX32LXD500.

It was one of the BEST decisions I have ever made :clap:

I took the panny out of the box, connected my DVD Recorder (Panny DMRES10) and the Ariel and turned it on. Within a few minutes it had tuned in all the channels and was ready to go. What absolutely amazed me was that it tuned in all the Freeview channels as well and I had access to the full array of freeview digital channels. The Samsung had a digital tuner, but didin't pick up any of the channels when connected to the same source - I had assumed the Ariel was too old?!?

Conclusion

The EPG is fantastic (dare I say better than sky?).
The picture quality is superb - a proper CRT replacement.
The panny auto-fitting screen size technology is brilliant.
The remote is very sexy.
The design is super sexy.
Loads of connectivity.

I cannot wait until Hi-Def is available as this will be the icing on a very sweet cake :D

Anyway, as you might have gathered, I recommend anyone buy this telly. It's well worth holding back a while longer and saving your pennies for. Oh by the way I paid £1479's for it - it is usually £1799's in the shops.

how did you connect your dvd recorder? i have this one as well and will be buying the TX32LXD500 later today?

I connected using a SCART from the AV1 on the Recorder to the AV4 on the telly. Only AV2 and AV4 utilise Q-Link on the telly and AV4 is RGB!

I have also connected using a component cable and separate audio leads (make sure you get the input on the telly and output on the dvd - use one of the composite banks on the dvd, just don't plug in the visual / yellow wire). This is needed to use progressive scan. However I have had limited success with progressive scan; not sure if the quality is any better and, most annoyingly, when the dvd is switch on and off the telly doesn't switch between AV and TV. So I switched back to using RGB SCART and it worked fine.

I still need to play with progressive and if anyone can help I am interested.

I am thinking of buying this TV and you are helping me make up my mind. In short, because I am not into the TV world, how do you compare it against the Sony KDLV32A12. I saw them side by side showing the England game on Saturday and I and quite a few others thought that the Sony had the edge over the Panny, but only just.

I also need a new DVD recorder and player. What is special about yours? Am I advised to wait for HD Ready DVD's? My thinking is that if I buy now I will not get the benefit of HD when it is released.

My opinion is the same.

V series have a tad better PQ than the panny.
But the panny has a VGA connector.

Depends on whether you need it or not...

daxie

I haven't seen the Sony and Panny side-by-side. I did pop to the local Sony centre to look at the direct competitor to the panny (presume it was the KDLV32A12, but not sure on Sony models) and it looked fine.

My personal preference according to looks is the panny as I love the design, but the Sony looks good too. Speaking as a panny owner, it would not bother me even if the Sony did have a slightly better pq as I am so pleased with the panny!! That's a bold statement from me as when I buy a gadget I am usally always filled with self doubt (did I get the right model, make ... is something better cheaper available, etc). Not so with the TX32LXD500, I am so relaxed and happy I made the right choice - it has all the features and connections I want and the pq is superb.

On the DVD, I am also very happy with the panasonic DMRES10. I had a similar priced Samsung model (DMR-122) and the panny is so far better it is silly. I got the unit from Ebuyer.co.uk for £157.97 (excluding delivery) which is a fantastic price. It is probably one of the best for the price without going down the route of a HDD model. I didn't want to spend so much on a DVD machine as I too am thinking about HD. However it will be a long wait I think. Although HD recorders are coming next year what format we become dominant?? Blu-Ray of HD-DVD :rolleyes:

Wait and let the manufacturers battle it out first or go for a multi-format machine. In the meantime, the DMRES10 is a perfect stop-gap.

P.S. I am not a Panasonic salesman, but if you are interested in purchasing any Panasonic items then you can call me on ..... only joking :devil:

what made you go for the TX32LXD500 and not the TX32LXD52

To be honest, I didn't even consider the TX32LXD52. I read somewhere that it was just the TX32LXD50, but with a HDMI connector. The 500 is the latest set specifically built for the Hi-Def standard. I would hope he price also reflects that the pq is better as the internal gubbings is newer and better than the 52. The 500 is so much more expensive then it has to be superior as the 500 is the replacement model.

Is my logic floored - anyone ??

well i too read and heard these.

Panasonic told me last week that the 500 did have a superior picture but another forum member has just posted that panasonic told him that they were the same.

Madshark said:
Is my logic floored - anyone ??

Probably, but you have an excellent TV that you are happy with....that is all that matters.

emrysdavies said:
I am thinking of buying this TV and you are helping me make up my mind. In short, because I am not into the TV world, how do you compare it against the Sony KDLV32A12. I saw them side by side showing the England game on Saturday and I and quite a few others thought that the Sony had the edge over the Panny, but only just.

I also need a new DVD recorder and player. What is special about yours? Am I advised to wait for HD Ready DVD's? My thinking is that if I buy now I will not get the benefit of HD when it is released.

Sony gets only 3 out of 5 stars in what hi fi this month. Gets slagged off for both PQ and Sound. Panny gets 5 stars and is just shaded in top spot by the Loewe Concept. Just as an aside, I was watching the Panny yesterday with the (Comet) Sky HD preview feed. It was in a line of several Plasmas and LCDs, and the Panny's PQ was 'stunning' compared to all the others. Granted it was just in comet, and the set ups will have been fairly crude, but we are talking 'a million miles' here as to the difference in PQ on the Panny.

P.S - This is totally unbiased on my part, as I have a Sharp LCGA4A, and went to Comet just to see the new Sharp GD7 and the Tosh WLT58 in the flesh as a prelude to going for one or the other. I wasn't a great fan of the Panny styling before and therefore never really considered it an option, however I was bowled over by the PQ (and I suppose at the end of the day, this is the most important feature of a TV)

Thanks a lot Madshark. I find that most helpful. Incidenally, I can get the Panasonic for £1443.19 and the DVD for £156.19 from a local Electro Centre.

jonandjen said:
Sony gets only 3 out of 5 stars in what hi fi this month. Gets slagged off for both PQ and Sound. Panny gets 5 stars and is just shaded in top spot by the Loewe Concept. Just as an aside, I was watching the Panny yesterday with the (Comet) Sky HD preview feed. It was in a line of several Plasmas and LCDs, and the Panny's PQ was 'stunning' compared to all the others. Granted it was just in comet, and the set ups will have been fairly crude, but we are talking 'a million miles' here as to the difference in PQ on the Panny.

P.S - This is totally unbiased on my part, as I have a Sharp LCGA4A, and went to Comet just to see the new Sharp GD7 and the Tosh WLT58 in the flesh as a prelude to going for one or the other. I wasn't a great fan of the Panny styling before and therefore never really considered it an option, however I was bowled over by the PQ (and I suppose at the end of the day, this is the most important feature of a TV)

Please read the topic on that review.
Conclusion is that the review (as so many others) is total and utter cr*p

I shall have a look at that review jonandjen. A very interesting post. Thanks a lot. My present Panasonic, the TX29A3, has been brilliant for eleven years and it appears that they are maintaining their technical superiority.

eddy73 said:
In this months 'What Video & Widescreen Mag' the Sony V32 gets 5 stars saying its super stylish with awesome performance :confused:

never trust the reviews... (fully!, they can be a guideline)

Hooked up my xbox last night and it was very good - changed aspect to 16:9 as the auto thingy sometimes zooms too far - image fits perfect.

The picture was crisp and the sound good - can't wait 'till the 360 is out.

btw I was playing Far Cry Instincts

daxie said:
My opinion is the same.

V series have a tad better PQ than the panny.
But the panny has a VGA connector.

Depends on whether you need it or not...

daxie

From what I've read (on these very forums) the panny comes out on top where picture quality is concerned, and over all is a far better set than the sony... :confused:

RavMike said:
From what I've read (on these very forums) the panny comes out on top where picture quality is concerned, and over all is a far better set than the sony... :confused:

My eye told otherwise :)

The real issue for most people is how a LCD TV copes with the standard Sky/Cable TV/Freeview feed plus playing DVDs. When given a HD feed many sets show a stunning picture, but if Coronation Street looks bad then the average viewer (and his wife) will be gutted.

There doesn't seem to be any point in buying a TV that gives you a poor picture for 90% of what you are going to view - that leaves a choice of either a HD set which scales and cleans up SD well such as the LXD500, or a set optimised for SD such as the Sharp P50.

rasputin said:
The real issue for most people is how a LCD TV copes with the standard Sky/Cable TV/Freeview feed plus playing DVDs. When given a HD feed many sets show a stunning picture, but if Coronation Street looks bad then the average viewer (and his wife) will be gutted.

There doesn't seem to be any point in buying a TV that gives you a poor picture for 90% of what you are going to view - that leaves a choice of either a HD set which scales and cleans up SD well such as the LXD500, or a set optimised for SD such as the Sharp P50.

I agree. But I also think 'poor sky ' is over exaggerated on here. I've had a philips LCD for nearly 2 years now and love it. I only see artifacts when standing a few feet away from it, otherwise it looks great. And this is from a set with worse contrast and blacks than current models.

Maybe I've just grown used to the LCD look and the differences are more noticable to people coming straight from a CRT, but I'm happy with it.

rasputin said:
When given a HD feed many sets show a stunning picture, but if Coronation Street looks bad then the average viewer (and his wife) will be gutted.

I agree. Just to be clear, I am not using a Sky feed at the moment (long story) ... my TX500 is connected to the normal coaxial Ariel that was in my flat, via my DVD recorder. My comments are based on this source. I would love to try Sky, but to be honest the picture is great even with this standard feed. When I switch to digital the picture is still great using the digital tuner.

Coronation street, or in my case Eastenders, has never looked so good :smashin:

So...after much deliberation (RyanK are you reading this!) I have decided to go for the 500 over the 52. The 300 difference is enormous for the same panel and processing but, I will always be thinking what if...

My order with Currys (£1327) has not been cancelled but they have no stock and no lead date. I'm planning to get John Lewis to price match. Does anybody know any retailers (not online..although in another post somebody said they *would* match online????) in the Manchester area that are selling this for around £1400 and may have stock.

TIA...have scoured the mags for companies, but they all quote £1600+ in store :(

Dave

DaveAnderson said:
So...after much deliberation (RyanK are you reading this!) I have decided to go for the 500 over the 52. The 300 difference is enormous for the same panel and processing but, I will always be thinking what if...

My order with Currys (£1327) has not been cancelled but they have no stock and no lead date. I'm planning to get John Lewis to price match. Does anybody know any retailers (not online..although in another post somebody said they *would* match online????) in the Manchester area that are selling this for around £1400 and may have stock.

TIA...have scoured the mags for companies, but they all quote £1600+ in store :(

Dave

i am reading. i just phoned sound and vision to place my order and he has no stock for 4-6 weeks, however he says that the 52 is the same apart from the mising pc input etc and different sound system.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom