1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD500 - Better than Panasonic TX32LXD50?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andibevan, Jun 13, 2005.

1. andibevan

andibevan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am currently in the market for a 32" LCD TV. I had decided upon the TX32LXD50 from Panasonic until I found the TX32LXD500. I am aware of the addional features the TX32LXD500 e.g. Ability to record to SD, PCMCIA slot and HDTV compatibility - but does anyone have any advice on whether this is actually a Good TV or are there any others about worth considering?

I have also been lookin at the Philips 32PF9830 but as this isn't out yet and I probably can't wait until next month (also I think the £2k price tag could be a bit steep as I can find the Panasonic TV's for £1,200 and £1,400 respectively?

I would be really grateful if somebody could let me know what they think of the Panasonic TX32LXD500 or TX32LXD50 as I am getting no-where in curry's and dixons and can't find a good TV shop that is open when I am not at work.

Ta

Andi

2. TheBigK

TheBigK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TX32LXD50 unlike the TX32LXD500 is not High Definition Ready. If you plan 2 get on the HD bandwagon I would wait for the TX32LXD500 to be released next month(July). If you have not yet seen HD in action go see it now... it will blow yer pants off. My Panasonic shop in Dundee was running the new TH-50PV500 plasma off some HD box from Japan and the picture was incredible... unlike anything I have seen before. Fingers crossed the new panni LCDS will fair just as well!

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Identical display really except the TX32LXD500 has the all important HDMI input making it HD Ready, or at least more HD Ready than the 50. I know panny is trying to keep a model hierarchy but I don't know why they did'nt just add the HDMI to the one display it woudn't have cost them too much.

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I think it is called "wring every last penny out of the poor punter". I like Panny products and own quite a few, however, this cynical attitude to customers does not impress me - charging around £500 for a few extra connectors costing pennies really ticks me off. The 50 series should be equipped with HDMI as standard - shame on you Panasonic.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The same argument can be said for not including multiple HDMI/DVI inputs now as the manufacturers have been fully aware that we'll be needing multiple inputs for HD TV, HD DVD and games consoles.

6. andibevan

andibevan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's guys - Firstly I had managed to completely miss the fact the Panasonioc 500 wasn't out yet!! That would have slowed my shopping down a bit.

I think I am convinced that it is worth paying the extra for a TV that is HDMI ready but as the Philips and Panasonic looking likely to go for £1400 - £1500 which is likely to be better? (I know the Philips 32PF9830 is reported to go for £2200 but this is only a RRP - the internet will probably sell it for much less I reckon).

I appreciate that asking for opinions on two products that aren't released yet is rather stupid but I am trying to get a feel for how Panasonic Stacks up against Philips. All my AV equipment is Panasonic so I am drawn towards them purely because of the aesthetics of having all your AV kit from one firm but I get the impression that the Philips is regarded much more highly?

Any views???

7. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to play devil's advocate... yes, the LXD500's HDMI connectivity looks like a big plus. But, unless you're going to be an early-adopter on Sky, I guess it may be quite a while before you can make (much) use of it. By which time, there will no doubt be new LCD TVs out there at lower prices with much improved performance and much more generous connectivity. Over the past few weeks, the LXD50's price has been falling fast and may have further to go as the LXD500 release date approaches. So, who knows, you might be able to pick it up for £300/400/500 less than the LXD500. And the US equivalent of the LXD50 (where it comes, perversely, with HDMI) does seem to score pretty well on the PQ stakes (though some on this forum have been less impressed - largely, I think, due to generic LCD issues rather than anything too Panasonic-specific). So: HD-Ready future-proofing is no doubt the right way to go in an ideal world, but - personally - I'm still not sure what price (in both cost and possible quality) I'm prepared to pay now.

8. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    HDMI/DVI is not ONLY needed for the new Sky Hi-Def Service, what about the new DVD players with HDMI/DVI connectivity with upscalers (Samsung 850\950)? What about HTPC's? Also Next gen consoles with HDMI?

I personally will not entertain any off the new models unless they have at least 1 x HDMI and 1 x DVI, currently the Hitachi 7200 32" has both (one of the few).

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Actually Sky have now confirmed that all of their HD content coming from their own channels will also be available via component and as Van Cortlandt was inferrring to the service may not be up and running until late 2006 by which time newer models with multiple HDMI/DVI inputs will be available.

10. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Yes I am aware of the revised Sky HD requirements, my point simply was that HDMI/DVI are and will be a requirement for hardware/AV platforms other than Sky HD boxes.

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Now then who was it who informed everyone on this forum a few months ago that the first generation Sky HD digi box would output component, to howls of derision and shouts of heresy! buffoon! the mans mad? Oh yes, I remember now - it was me! I said at the time that if I am wrong then you can tell me so when Sky make an announcement and I will hold my hand up. Modesty forbids me from gloating but :clap:

12. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading the review of the TX-32LXD500 (the TV I've been waiting for for ages) in What Video & Widescreen TV...5 star ratings all round!!
    They say that the "blacks could be more solid, but that's about it"

I think I'm sold...as soon as John Lewis start stocking it!

13. notalamb

notalamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We had our six month TX32LXD1 stolen last week, and weren't too disappointed as we hated the TV. Faces moved like the guy in the Mummy film who had scarab beetles crawling under his skin. Also there were too many other things to moan about as well.

We have been offered either the 50 or 500 as a replacement, the question is should we wait for the 500? Can you advise me where the article you mentioned can be found, as I went to their website and couldn't see it.

Also I would ask whether we should go for plasma instead? When I looked at these in the shops their pictures don't look as good as LCD but I didn't see any beetles.

Any ideas from you experts to this nerd would be very appreicated.

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Did it get 5 starts for picture?

A scan of the review would be good....it saves me spending my lunch hours reading it in WH Smiths. :D

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have to say that I remain as unconvinced as ever by LCD or Plasma. I know that whenever I write such things there are call for me to be burnt at the stake etc. but nothing I have seen to date out performs my lowly Panasonic 50Hz CRT widescreen - truly. I even had the Philips 9986 Ambilight on test for about three weeks, tried every setting know to man, and whilst I will admit to it being a good picture with Sky as its source material, I could not imagine me paying 2K for one. I was in my local Shop@Panasonic store a few weeks ago and my opinion for what it is worth is that the Viera Plasma produced a better picture than the 50 series LCD which I was less than impressed with. I watched an analogue feed of the rugby, and believe me it was not a pretty site, the smearing and lag were terrible. As the shop sell nothing but Panasonic I asked the sales assistant for his honest opinion of both LCD and Plasma. His reply was this - if you are going for Hi Def then consider LCD but for anything else choose the Plasma every time. As far as I am aware the 50 and the 500 are basically the same t.v. with the 500 having the better connectivity, and a hefty price tag to go with it.

16. TheBigK

TheBigK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any more info on that review? Will pick up the mag 2morrow me thinks :thumbsup:

17. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - I left the mag at home last night! Won't be back there till Sunday.

It did get 5 stars for picture + sound + (whatever else it was!!) - but got 4 stars for value (recommended price listed as £2k in the mag). Personally I think its good value if John Lewis sell for £2k with the 5 year warranty!

The Hitatchi 32LD700 (if I remember the model number rightly) - got an excellent review - and their best buy recommendation - even though they gave the picture quality 4 stars. The problem with that one for me is the lack of Digital tuner.

Miles

18. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faust - I hear what you say, and agree with you to a certain extent.

My case is slightly different in that I'm going from an ageing 28" 4:3 Thomson CRT set to a widescreen 32" LCD, add to that the fact that I watch bugger all TV really, mainly PS2 & DVDs...but I want an integrated digital tuner to cut down on the number of boxes under the TV. (And for the wife :D)

So the picture quality of terrestrial broadcasts doesn't bother me that much - the quality of my DVDs & PS2 however does. And that's what will decide it for me when I get to see the screen 'in the flesh'. Plus I want a nice slim TV that doesn't take up too much room...and looks good to boot ;)

Best regards
    Miles

19. notalamb

notalamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Faust. When you read about LCD's and Plasma they NEVER tell you about how crappy the picture can be. That is why it was a shock to us when we replaced our 22 year old Panasonic CRT (as if I had to explain it was CRT at that age!) with a Panny LCD.

The funny thing is that I hadn't got round to taking the old TV down the tip, and following the theft of the LCD, the CRT is back where it was for many years and with a super picture. Bet the 50 or 500 won't look as good in 2027! Also looks like the thief stole the wrong TV!

As it won't cost us anything more to get the 500 as the insurers are going to pay, I will hang on for it. Sounds like it has a built in recorder using something called a SD Memory Card. Anyone know if that is any good? Does it show on screen the contents of the card, so you can quickly access recording with some sort of index?

If the article could be posted that would be great.

Finally I would say this is a great board!

20. MilesR

MilesR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SD card recording is at a fairly low resolution (320x240 if I remember rightly).
    And you'll need a pretty big card to record anything worthwhile! (Will work out at something like 1GB for 11mins of footage at the highest bitrate - using my crappy maths and the spec-sheet from Panasonic :D)

I was originally looking forward to the 500 to get rid of the VHS recorder as well...but I think I'll just look at getting a PVR instead.

21. andibevan

andibevan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read in this post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215087&highlight=TX32LXD500

That on Extended Play you should be able to get 1 hour on a 256mb SD card (about £20) - I reckon that if you wanted to record TV to watch on an IPAQ or something similar it may be worth it but to record television to re-watch on the TV I think there are many better options out there.

Is the picture quality on LCD TV's when watching terrestrial TV improved by using Digital TV?

22. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have actually watched the 50 series LCD through the Freeview built in digital tuner as well. My honest recommendation - don't sit any closer than approximately 8 to 10 feet away, any closer and it's not a pretty site.

23. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Has anyone seen the UK instruction manual anywhere? The Panny UK website is rubbish for updating stuff....whereas the German site has just about every manual under the sun

24. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I used to be of the same opinion, I even have a 50Hz CRT 32" Panasonic widescreen as well, but I have to say that with each new release plasma and LCD are improving dramatically. Nothing has brought this home more than my Dad's new purchase of JVC's LT32DS6B which arrived on Friday. I still live at home, my setup is in my bedroom, so comparisons are easy to make. DTT looks alright on the JVC but the larger visable screen size over my CRT definately shows up the low bit rates used. DVD however is another story. After runing through the THX setup on the Terminator II: Special Edition I settled back to watch the movie and was very impressed. The screen was being fed 576p from a Yahama DVD player and handled it impecibley. Fine detail was excellent, no smearing, vibrant colours, I could hardly believe I was actually watching an LCD screen.

Having seen Panasonics new HD ready plasmas running Hi-Def material in my local shop @ panasonic it would seem that when it comes to high quality source material LCD's and Plasmas are now showing what they are capable of. With the next generation of games consoles on the horizon I think for me at any rate it won't be long before I feel the need to upgrade :D

25. andibevan

andibevan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody suggest any shops that may have the Panasonic 500 on display? I am struggling to find any??

26. TheBigK

TheBigK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't expect you will see em in the shops until July. I'm getting my local Panasonic shop in Dundee to give me a call when the come in.

27. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    In many respects you are correct, LCD and Plasma are improving with each new release. It's the early adopters of this new technology I feel sorry for though. Many of the early sets were 15.9, lacked connectivity, and the PDQ really was nothing to write home about, and to add insult to injury they were pretty expensive. I have always said that with any emerging technology the manufacturers use Joe Public as guinea pigs for their products, and to my mind the early editions simply were not up to the job. The root of the problem though with LCD is that it is capable of producing very good quality pictures indeed, given good source material, as your experience with DVD demonstrates. However, we are still some years away from affordable Hi Def broadcasting, possibly a decade in the case of terrestrial broadcasting, and until Hi Def broadcasting does become standard LCD is always going to look second rate when compared to CRT.

28. John-W

John-W
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one seems to have mentioned the difference between the sound systems of these two models.

The D500 is physically wider, having (I think) a total of 4 tweeters, 2 mounted on each side of the screen

The D50 has (I think) only two tweeters, mounted below the screen.

The D500 is claimed to have a 'Smart Sound System'.

As for the HDTV argument, since the pixel resolution is identical (1386 x 768) then there can be no difference in reproduction - it's just an issue of connectivity with HDTV source equipment, and also HDCP?! (See other threads).

29. ps22571

ps22571
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my tx32lxd500 from TribalUK for £1463 (buy now pay later) and getting an extended warranty for £299 for 4years. Can't wait to try it with my samsung hd850 DVD palyer that I've just received.

30. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    There could in theory be differences in software tweaks or the viewers ability to change the picture settings...but I haven't seen a manual as such to confirm accordingly.