1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD1

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Waser, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The Panasonic TX32LXD1.

Has anyone got one of these? If so can you please write up a quick review if possible? How do they compare with the Philips or the Sharp LCDs?

2. ctodd

ctodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Waser,

I replaced the Philips 32PF9986 that was returned with the Panasonic.

I have only had the set since Saturday, and I believe that the picture quality is better than the Philips. Sky channels appear to have less pixelation than the Philips also.

When watching DVDs, fast moving images do not have blurry edges either.

The menu system is much simpler than the Philips, and I have not had to tweak the settings as much as I did before.

Great thing is the TV comes already assembled on the stand, so you dont have to spend 30 minutes assembling it.

The only downside is that the sound quality is not as good as the Philips.

Regards

chris

3. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ctodd,

Thanks for the reply. I was going to order a 30PF9975 as a replacement but decided to wait until the end of the week to make my mind up. Then I started thinking about the Panny but there is very little information out there on it.

How about football? Is the response time of the tv upto the task of displaying sports well?

4. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to compare football between Sony 26 inch WEGA and the Panasonic you mention in a shop. The Sony has a beautiful picture but I think the fast motion viewing was worse than the Panny. I wouldn't completely rely on this view since I don't own the set but I think you should be ok.

I find the speakers to be a bit ugly but that's only a minor point (at least it doesn't set fire to itself!)

5. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah I suppose that's a plus. :)

6. ctodd

ctodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The football was pretty impressive I saw no blurry edges around the players or the ball.

Forgot to mention that the integrated digital TV is a plus, and that I have not seen lipsynch problems like I did with the Philips. Although this only seemed to be on BBC Digital channels and some of the music ones too.

7. bobwillis

bobwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have also been looking at >=32" LCDs. I hope you don't mind me sharing some of my thoughts.....

My options are the panasonic you mention, the JVC LT32C31, the Philips 32PF9986, the Samsung LW32A23 and the Toshiba 32WL36.

I consider the new Sony KDLL32MRX1 and the Sharp LC37HV4E (37") at over £3k to be too expensive.

The toshiba has quite a poor review at www.electrictown.co.uk so I discounted that from the start.

I phoned up Richer Sounds (which I live reasonably local to), and they have the JVC & Panasonic in stock. They have not got the new Philips yet; and said bad things about Samsung kit in general (presumably they don't stock them).

They recommended the JVC for £1735. This is approximately £500 cheaper than the panny. I believe the JVC has only 2 scarts, where as I think the panny has 3 (2 RGB) (perhaps an owner could confirm). The 26" JVC has had very good reviews picture quality wise.

The pansonic is a 15:9 display, meaning that you will get black bars top and bottom with true 16:9 material. This reduces the effective size of the image. If you don't get black bars, then I imagine the image is either stretched or cropped in order to fill the screen (this is not good practice in my opinion). It would be worth finding out about this before purchasing. I believe the JVC is a true 16:9 display.

The panny has integrated freeview; but I don't value that very highly.

The philips has technical problems, meaning that they are not available in the immediate short-term.

The samsung has been reviewed extremely well, but presumably that is because of its wide range of features (buit in DD decoder) and great value.

So for me, I'm waiting for reviews of the JVC & the panny, and a viewing comparison before taking the leap.

Regards,
    Bob

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Why not the Samsung LW32A33 ? It's the latest model and it's connectivity is better than the others by far (HDMI, DVI, Component, 1 RGB SCART, 1 other SCART). Current price (Currys price since they seem to be the only people who have it at the moment - it's not even listed on Samsung's UK website for some reason), a penny shy of £2400

The JVC has 2 RGB scarts Plus component.

The JVC is also 15:9 - genuine 16:9 panels seem to be very thin on the ground...

Personally I'd say it's an advantage over the others, but each to his own

The JVC has the problem of showing grey bars at the side of the image when watching 4:3 material in the correct aspect ratio (i.e. not zoomed). Having witnessed this when demoing the 26" this put me off the JVC

Personally from those sets, I'd ditch the JVC from the equation and wait for reviews and a viewing of the Samsung LW32A33

9. bobwillis

bobwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cerebros,

Thanks for the correction regarding the aspect ratio of the JVC. So do you get black bars top & bottom with 16:9 material? Were these bars grey (if they existed).

Re: 4:3, why were the bars grey - is it because it has a poor black level, or are they intentionally grey?

Thanks for the tip regarding the new samsung LW32A33, I'd never heard of it, it's not even on their website. 1 scart RGB is not enough for me though, and I don't wan't to mess about with external switch boxes.

Looks as though the panny is prefered by me (at the moment).....

Regards,
    Bob

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, the bars were black - it has to be said that (admittedly on the 26" I demoed) from what would, for me, be normal viewing distance, the black bars weren't really that noticeable. It was only when I put a test pattern on from DVE PAL (the one for anamorphic with the bars to show the typical overscan marks) and stepped up close to the screen that I realised they were there.

I'm told by GaryB on these forums that it's a hangover from JVC's plasma screens. Apparently there is a way to set it to black, but it involves editing hex values in a bit of the service menu and is a bit easy to cock-up and mess up the set. It's damn silly if you ask me - it basically put me off getting the set, as I and the GF watch a lot of TV show DVD's, the majority of which are naturally 4:3 ratio. If it hadn't had this, I'd have bought one by now. As it is, when I heard about the Panasonic, I decided to wait to see whether that was any good. In fact, if Comet on-line hadn't messed me about refunding me for a CRT TV I'd had to return, I'd probably have bought the 26" Panny already. As I'm about to go off on holiday, hopefully people will have reviewed the Panny by the time i get back...

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, the bars were black - it has to be said that (admittedly on the 26" I demoed) from what would, for me, be normal viewing distance, the black bars weren't really that noticeable. It was only when I put a test pattern on from DVE PAL (the one for anamorphic with the bars to show the typical overscan marks) and stepped up close to the screen that I realised they were there.

I'm told by GaryB on these forums that it's a hangover from JVC's plasma screens. Apparently there is a way to set it to black, but it involves editing hex values in a bit of the service menu and is a bit easy to cock-up and mess up the set. It's damn silly if you ask me - it basically put me off getting the set, as I and the GF watch a lot of TV show DVD's, the majority of which are naturally 4:3 ratio. If it hadn't had this, I'd have bought one by now. As it is, when I heard about the Panasonic, I decided to wait to see whether that was any good. In fact, if Comet on-line hadn't messed me about refunding me for a CRT TV I'd had to return, I'd probably have bought the 26" Panny already. As I'm about to go off on holiday, hopefully people will have reviewed the new Samsung by the time i get back...

12. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    So how does the 32" Panny compare with the Philips 30PF9975? Is the Panny worth £600 more than the Philips?

Also I thought the Panny only has one RGB scart? Going by the details on their web site.

13. bobwillis

bobwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

From Panasonic website http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx32lxd1/index.htm :

"21-pin Input/Output
    AV1:AV In/Out, RGB In (rear), AV2:AV In/Out, S-Video In, Q-Link (rear), AV4:AV In/Out, S-Video/RGB In, Q-Link (rear)"

My understanding is, this means it has 3 SCART sockets (numbered AV1,2 and 4), two of which accept RGB, and the other is for a video recorder (either composite video or S-Video). This is ideal for me. I will use 1 RGB SCART for my DVD, the other RGB SCART for my $ky box, and the final non-RGB SCART for my VCR.

Also, according to the panny website, What Hi-Fi magazine HAS reveiwed it and gave it 5 stars. The review is not online though, and I don't know which issue number. Also, the instruction manual is not yet available for download.

Regards,
    Bob

14. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The TX32LXD1 is reviewed in the latest magazine from What Hi Fi. Not their monthly mag, but another one out this month full of reviews (it has a silver cover). They spoke very highly of it and mentioned that it seemed to handle fast motion very well with absolutely no smearing.

Anyone with the TX32LXD1 care to mention any problems they have experienced, if any? I am seriously tempted to go for one of these instead of the 32" or 30" Philips (although the 30" is a lot cheaper which is tempting in its own right).

15. kacang

kacang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would consider the new sharp G series, there is a 32" and a 37". both are 1366*768 (true 16:9) and look very promising with digital tuner/satellite tuner etc etc...

Do a search on the web for shrap LC-32GD2

Should be out with in the next month or so , in japan they already being sold for a while.

erick

16. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bob,

If you've only got 2 RGB devices, instead of counting out the Samsung, why not pass your digibox output through your DVD player, or use the DVD's component output (if it has it)?

17. bobwillis

bobwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cerebros,

I pass the didgibox through the DVD player with my existing panny TX32PK2 (2 scarts, only 1 RGB). This does mean though, that I have to use a DVD player with 2 SCARTS. My Sony 905 has 2, but new DVD players with 2 scarts are getting a bit thin on the ground nowadays. Unfortunately, it has no component output.

If the new samsung is that good, I will definitely have a look at it, but I feel that modern equipment should really have more than 2 scarts for upgradeability purposes. Perhaps, the answer to this, is buy a DVD player with component output. Would this give better quality with an LCD screen over a conventional CRT set using RGB?

I don't know much about component output (or progressive scan), so I would value your opinion. Does component input always imply progressive scan compatibilty. I have read a lot that progressive scan looks much better than standard SCART RGB interlaced output. I don't intend to buy anything immediately, so this thread is very useful (to me anyway).

Regards,
    Bob

18. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'll admit I haven't looked at the current state of DVD players for a little while, but i would have thought it was only at the very bottom end of the market where you'd struggle to find 2 SCART's.

It's hard to say for definite. While component is generally rated as equal to or surpassing RGB for interlaced signals, much can hinge on both the DVD player and the TV as to how well they handle the signals. I think this is a case where you'd need to see it yourself to decide - unfortunately this tends to be difficult unless you live in London as outside there, the shops that tend to have the largest range of gear tend to be Currys, Comet et al, where there are no dedicated demo facilities and no multi-region DVD players (whenever i've wanted to demo a TV I've had to load my Pioneer 656 into my backpack and take it round... Quite a major feat considering the pile of cabling I have to plug/unplug every time...)

Component input doesn't always imply progressive scan compatibility. I believe it was the last generation Philips 30" LCD that had component input, and would accept 480i, 576i, 576p & 1080i, but not 720p, or strangely, not 480p (you'd have thought that if it would support both 576i/p it would support 480p as well as 480i).

Generally with these panels it's hard to give a definitive answer as the sets will have to upscale the video signal to the panel's native resolution to display it. You would need to compare how well it performed accepting interlaced RGB over SCART Vs interlaced component Vs progressive component. And bearing in mind that different players and sets might do a better or worse job than others, and you can quickly see why people get pee'd off about the fact that magazine reviews seem to miss or dismiss glaring issues with equipment that are real showstoppers for most people.

19. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Can someone please explain to me how the Panny TX32LXD1 displays a 16:9 image on a 15:9 screen?

I just spoke to Robert Whyte and had them check one of the Pannys they have on display and they said the 16:9 ratio setting fills the screen. Does this mean the image is chopped at either sides? I would have expected to see a true 16:9 image with black borders top and bottom...

Can anyone clarify this for me please?