Panasonic TX32LXD1

T

Tonester

Anyone got a review on this new Panasonic 32in LCD? Seen very little about this.

As an aside I can't believe how slow promotion is for LCD televisions. I've been looking to buy one for the last few months and they trickle into shops with no mention in magazines/online etc. Anyone know a good up to date magazine?

Well having seen one (several) they are pretty good, However not seen a mag review yet, Did see a sanyo 30" LCD with digital tuner and was very impressed, better than sharp, not sure compared to JVC 32" but a tidy unit at a good price!

I'd be really interested to hear more about this one.

Something I noticed on the panasonic website which confused me though is that the screen appears to be 15:9 not 16:9. Now I've seen this with a few LCD screens but don't really understand why they do it that way. Presumably its to do with the manufacturing process.

Anyway, this isn't a problem on some, as when showing a TRUE 16:9 image you just end up with black bars. Others will only crop the image or stretch it with no "True size alternative". That seems very short sighted for producers of TV's which cost usually over £2000

There are a number of 15:9 LCD Sharp 30" and 22" are 15:9 and as a fair few people use sharp panel now it means even more are. What ever display you have some material will not fit so choice is black bars, or stretched image, depends what you prefer, as soon as i have had a play with a panny 32" I'll let you know.

hornydragon said:
There are a number of 15:9 LCD Sharp 30" and 22" are 15:9 and as a fair few people use sharp panel now it means even more are. What ever display you have some material will not fit so choice is black bars, or stretched image, depends what you prefer, as soon as i have had a play with a panny 32" I'll let you know.

Personally I prefer the black bars. The point however was that some displays don't give you the choice to show a 16:9 image as 16:9. You either get it vertically stretched, or cropped at the sides. Neither is desirable. I have a Panasonic CRT at the moment (which is 16:9), and although the picture is top notch, I sometimes find I can't set the format correctly for what I am watching as the TV doesn't have the relevant mode to cope.

hornydragon said:

Are you saying that the Panasonic uses the Sharp panel by the way?

Gregorski said:
The point however was that some displays don't give you the choice to show a 16:9 image as 16:9. You either get it vertically stretched, or cropped at the sides. Neither is desirable. I have a Panasonic CRT at the moment (which is 16:9), and although the picture is top notch, I sometimes find I can't set the format correctly for what I am watching as the TV doesn't have the relevant mode to cope.
I'm not sure if there would be much difference whether your TV was 14:9, 15:9 or 16:9 in this case since some broadcasters use 14:9 (BBC sometimes) or a picture that seems randomly chopped and at only one side and doesn't fit any "correct" aspect ratio!!!!

Liam @ Prog AV said:
I'm not sure if there would be much difference whether your TV was 14:9, 15:9 or 16:9 in this case since some broadcasters use 14:9 (BBC sometimes) or a picture that seems randomly chopped and at only one side and doesn't fit any "correct" aspect ratio!!!!

Indeed it wouldn't matter provided that the right modes were available to fit the picture to the screen without distorting it in any way. i.e Stretch the picture propertionally until it fits the screen either horizontally or vertically. That way you always get the maximum picture size. In fact, for watching TV, 15:9 with the above described mode might in fact be a good compromise meaning a larger viewing area when watching 14:9 and 4:3 material. Obviously for DVD's the wider the better in most cases

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom