1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX32LXD1 or Philips 32PF9986?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Anewbie, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

OK, you've guessed it, it's another which one is best post, but please read on...

I've been doing extensive research on the 32" LCDs available at the moment and have narrowed it down to two models. I know the differences between the two and as far as I can see the Panasonic comes out on top in terms of features (components, Freeview, etc).

Though what I'm really interested in is picture quality. Is there really £500 difference in PQ between the two (£1575 Pana, £2075 Philips). OK, so the Philips has PixelPlus2, HD compatability, DVI and Ambilights, but does that make it a much better screen than the Panasonic?

I have seen both of them playing, not very well set-up with mediocre aerial feeds. They weren't side by side so I couldn't make a direct comparison, but they both looked pretty good to me. I'm not a Sky user so I'm not that interested in HQ compatability.

I want my choice in my living room by Christmas so please help me out. Do you have either model? What do you think of them? Have you looked at the same two screens and come to any conclusions? All opinions greatly appreciated.

Tony.

2. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same situation as yourself. And spent many a day wondering around the different stores trying to compare PQ and prices...In the end I went for the Philips 32pf9986 and I'm more than happy! But its a personal choice...Good luck

p.s. the PQ is great and worth the extra in my opinion ;o)

3. tezzer

tezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just also ordered a 32pf9986 - waiting impatiently for it to turn up!

Terry

4. paul812uk

paul812uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a 32PF9986 yesterday!

Its taken me ages to make my mind up. The wife was sick of it (as was I if truth be told).

What DVD player are you using / planning to use?

5. Up The Spurs!

Up The Spurs!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony DAVLF1 coz it looks great, can't wait to get it all on the wall!! but depends on what you want... If you get a Philips the this will cut down on the remotes coz the tellies remote will control other philips dvd systems and on different types you can use a function call cinemalink which sets all the setting between the dvd system and the telly...Or better still you could go for a dvd with dvi output!!

But I went for the look!! the choice is yours....

6. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Philips. Just like that.

7. Anewbie

Anewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, thanks for yout feedback folks. After doing some extensive demoing of the Philips and the Panasonic yesterday I plumped for the Philips. Even though there was about a half hour gap between viewing the screens (different stores) there was no doubt that the Philips looked a million times better.

I'll let you know how it goes when I collect it on Thursday.

8. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those of you opting for the Philips, it is (in my experience) worth getting a DVI equipped DVD player. The TV is very good with RGB Scart, but moves up a notch or two in picture quality when fed a DVI signal. I'm using the Denon DVD-1910, which is just about the cheapest option and I'm getting some great results with 576p or 1080i. (the 720p option also produces a superb picture, but with a border all around it, which if you can live with, is another choice. This isn't a "fault" incidentally - it is specified in the Philips manual. The TV gives you 1280x720p which leads to a border around the pic). I have a 2 metre Supra DVI-DVI cable (approx £40, but well worth it IMHO).

9. MrConfuse

MrConfuse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went with the Panasonic I felt Philips was too expensive about £500.00 difference If was spending this kind of money I probably would comparing Phillips with some Plasma.
    I am not quite sure if the how much the DVI input will improve the picture by

Anyway it is done will get the delivery tomorrow hope I am happy with it.

Many Thanks

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Biggest difference I found was that the Panny will not be able to display HiDef when it is introduced in 2 years time. It is also a 15:9 panel not 16:9 so not a true WXGA and therefore rather dated compared to the new raft of panels now available.

Having said all that the Panny is a damn good set and I'm sure you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Jimmy