Panasonic TX32-PL10 /Pioneer 656-A incompatibility

wydmex

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic TX32-PL10 TV and A Multi Region Pioneer DV-656A-S DVD player. I'm experiencing RGB playback problems when playing back DVDs via the SCART.
To start off, yes, the SCART lead is fine (spent £50 on an IXOS Gold Series). RGB playback from my Sky+ box is fine too as was my last Toshiba 220-E DVD player.
Composite and S-Video playback are fine too.

The problem is most noticeable in high contrast scenes. A higher brightness band of picture is seen about an inch deep, running horizontally across the top of the screen. Really annoying when watching a film in a dark room. Pioneer suggested accessing the service menu on the TV and make a few tweaks, which I did...no joy however. Anybody else got any experience of this type of problem?

Coincidently I've taken the player to our local Shop@Panasonic shop and connected it up there with similar results, even on the newer 100hz models. Pioneer say it's Panasonic at fault. Panasonic say it's...well, I'm still waiting on them to call back...?

Oh yes and playback from the shop's own test Panasonic DVD player on my TV is fine too!

It's got to be the player I would have thought but if it's simply an "incompatibility" who will take responsibility?

If anybody's got any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

I have had lots of problems with the RGB inputs on my Panny PD30 TV. Most of these do not occur with RGB from my Sky+ box. None of the problems show up on s-video.
Problems include:
(1) Black/white crushing. In high contrast scenes dark (light) areas lose all detail and go black (white). Appears to be because the RGB output level of the DVD player is too high. I do not get this from my Sy+ box. I found that it could be cured by looping the RGB output via my Sky+ box.
(2) Light horizontal lines of interference against dark backgrounds. Again not present on Sky+ RGB. Not fixed by looping output through Sky+ box. I believe that there is a TV service menu fix for this.
(3) Blocking especially on dark areas and haloes e.g. around a candle. I do get this on the DVD and Sky+. There must be a different set of picture processing for RGB compared to s-video.

I checked in Comet and got 1 and 2 (did not look for 3) on a PD30 on display both with my DVD player and the Panasonic one connected to the TV (via both RGB AND component)

I wonder if this is a common feature of RGB/component inputs on Panny TVs.

Othe rpeople have not had problems with other DVD players so maybe the Panny is just very fussy about its RGB input. Also the problems do not seem to arise via pro scan component.

(2) Light horizontal lines of interference against dark backgrounds. Again not present on Sky+ RGB. Not fixed by looping output through Sky+ box. I believe that there is a TV service menu fix for this.

I cannot believe the new PD30 still has the same RGB bug as the old PF10 series panny's which are now 3-4 years old - do these manufacturers not learn!!!! :mad: :mad:

Fix for this OLD issue (should work on newer models too) here:

http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]&rnum=1

http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]&rnum=1

I can vouch it works as I used it to remove the interference lines when using my Denon DVD-3800 player...

JJ

I have the panny TX36PF10, and I had these lines with my pioneer 757. I did the service menu DVCO change, and ys it worked for the dvd, but if sky+ is looped through, and is in RGB, then sky now has the lines. This setting should automatically adjust in my opinion, so that we don't have to change it.

As in the first post, I also get this annoying band about an inch from the top, for about 3 inches of these wavy lines, which I had on my old sony dvd. If i connect the 757 via AV2 svideo, they all go. This is a big problem in my eyes, as I have to watch sky+ in pal, not RGB, so to get the best picture from the dvd.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom