1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX28PS1

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kahless725, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my tv is gonna be replaced with another of the same model due to a fault (an engineer came out and confirmed it was faulty) where there is a lighter band in the centre of the screen on light scene's.

I love the picture of this set other than the above and even the above is not too intrusive so my question is this.

I have read of a few TX32PS12 owners with the same problem. Are they all like this? Do you own a TX32PS12 or TX28PS12 without the light band in the centre of the screen?

The engineer confirming that it is a fault leads me to believe that it is not normal with this model.

Cheers

Robert.

2. HatterNick

HatterNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a TX28PS1 and have no light band in the centre of the screen. Picture is excellent.
    Slight geometry problem ( straight lines eg doorways etc are not straight). Problem most noticeable on Sky Sports News and text.
    Also hums a little when captions come up or there is a lot of white on the screen.
    Not major problems. Very happy with it.

3. captain_h

captain_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had the "light band" effect on the screen with a 32TXPS12. Although I really like the picture (and have posted recommending the TV) eventually the light vertical band became too intrusive - esp for watching sport - that I called JL up about it.

Their engineer confirmed that the picture was not acceptable, and also spotted a region of low brightness in the lower right corner of the picture as well as the vertical line.

The replacement arrived just before Christmas... with similar, but not identical faults. This time the entire left half of the screen was darker than the right half. I'm just about to contact JL for a second time but frankly I'm tempted to get in contact with Panasonic to find out just how they can continue to ship TVs with this level of quality control. I don't want to go through the replacement cycle any more than I have to

So the short answer is that the engineer from JL's rep in Bristol (Goggle Box TV repairs, I think) agrees with your engineers' judgement. I'm keen to understand Panasonic's explanation - anyone had any contact with them directly about this?

Hope this helps

Capt'n

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well having seen the picture of the Pansonic I am smitten with it enough to put up with repolacement after replacement until I get a good one. I agree though Panasonics quality controll department wants a kick up the arse.

Anyone else been through this?

Robert.

5. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Right, bear with me as i'm absolutely fuming at the moment.

Just had a John Lewis engineer round to have a look at my 3 week old Panny TX28PS12 because of the problem of two vertical bands on the screen. I have a Telewest set top box and a DVD player routed via the 2 RGB scart sockets, by the way.

Basically, I showed him the line, he umm-ed and ahh-ed, and then replaced my scart leads with video only scart adaptors. The proceeded to show me that the lines had gone (which they had) and so blamed it on my scart leads. He blamed the whole thing on "crosstalk" due to there being 21 pins in a scart lead and they carry other signals apart from video etc etc, basically patronised the hell out of me. Said that cheap leads will cause this (one of my scarts cost me £30 but he just scoffed at me) and that interference from the other non-video signals is the reason for the banding. Said he "sees this kind of thing all the time".

I asked him to clarify that basically he was saying that there was nothing wrong with the TV. Yup, he says. Now i was dying to mention to him that i had heard that there was a problem with Panasonics and vertical banding, but i'm sure he would have just laughed at my "inferior knowledge"

What do i do? Is it possible that the Panasonic probelm *is* due to badly shielded scart cables? Surely its more than that, but what's my word against that of a qualified engineer???

Grrr, trying to calm down....

T
    x

:suicide:

6. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a TX28SP12 yesterday, knowing full well from the forum that this model has a 'reputation'. The light band is visible from time to time but only when switching from source to source, or between Freeview channels - when there is no input and the screen is black. It has never been visible when watching TV, DVD, Freeview or video.

The picture quality is, IMHO, sublime and I am very, very pleased with it. I never rrealised that blacks could be so black! I use Thor SCART leads from play.com - only £17.99

BTW, this model is now superceded and the replacement will only have two SCART sockets - I rang Panasonic before buying. I got it for £450 from Comet; I get a 10% discoount there.

7. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a spreasheet in excel for my buisness I notice on the database bit where it is red and blue for titles and black for the stuff my monitor hums on other sheets where there is colour it doesn't

Why does it hum?