1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX28PL1: RGB problems?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BigLandman, Feb 20, 2002.

Tags:
  1. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it true that RGB playback on the Panasonic TX28PL1 has problems? if so, what exactly is wrong?

can anyone who owns this model give a few impressions?

I ask because I’ve currently got one on order from empire direct, and my primary use for it will be playing DVDs (PAL and NTSC ones) in RGB.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problems i've had is terrestrial TV being shown faintly in the background, its worse when there is text on the channel, i.e football results or news. If I pull the aerial lead out, I just get interference in the background instead.
    Apart from that the picture is vey good :), but also be prepared for jagged edges between colours on the screen. I was watching Shooting Stars the other night and the jagged edges were awful on the Team A and B boards behind the teams. I've yet to get Svideo working as its always in black and white regardless of the connection I use or DVD player I use.
    Also have a strange muddied dirty look on the screen in several places and the convergence is out a little.
    I'm trying to take it back to Debenhams where we bought it from but this is proving difficult as they say we have to have an engineer out 3 times before we can get either a replacement or swap to a different make/model. I'm moving to a new house this week and i'll call the engineer after we've moved in.
    I'm hoping he'll agree to the faults on the set and let them know he can't do anything more to solve it.

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    js

This is BS. You are entitled to a refund or replacement immediately if the set is faulty/not fit for purpose.

Tell them what you want, and quote the sale of goods act. This usually shakes them up a bit.

Do a search on "sale of goods" - there's quite a bit of advice and there are quite a few knowledgeable people on here who can help you out.

Cheers

Laurel

4. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My girlfriend went into the store and spoke to them, i've yet to get a minute or 2 to call them and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the info.

5. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    black and white s-video? does this mean the TX28PL1 doesn't do NTSC s-video? Can anyone confirm this, because if its true i'm going to cancel my order.

Thanks

6. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    js-
    about that black and white s-vid, with some TVs you need to set the A/V channels to s-video mode - maybe there's a setting for it?

also, I was looking at the wide TVs in curries, and all the ones displaying normal TV channels had picture quality similar to your discription of the TX28PL1. maybe it's normal??

have you watched any animorphic DVDs or seen anything in RGB through it yet? if so, what does it look like? does it still have the same problems as with watching normal TV? I ordered the set for DVD viewing - im not really bothered if normal TV looks poor.

Thanks and good luck with your TV

PS- can anyone tell me about NTSC playback on the panasonic TX28PL1? does it work? if so, how does it look? - i'm quite desperate because i don't have long before the TV is shipped to me!

7. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me re-assure you about S-video playback as it definitely IS compatible with NTSC (you have to press the green key twice to change Scart 2 from composite to S-Video). Don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet though as I experienced similar problems to js (although I've since got shut of mine).

My chief concern (of many) was that RGB pictures just weren't as sharp as they should have been. Obviously I tried altering the sharpness and AI/NR etc, but I couldn't improve things very much. You might not notice anything wrong to begin with (I was initially impressed too) but only objects/people in the foreground seem appropriately rendered and the image has an inconsistent level of detail. It might have something to do with the artificial edge stressing the set applies because there's an obvious disparity between near/far images (and the overly jagged edges get quite distracting once you start looking for them).

I don't think you should get too concerned with any of the above because there's worse to come yet!.... There are noticeable vertical strips (about 1" thick) at both sides of the screen and another one straight down the middle. Watching football will immediately show-up the problem and any similar kind of uniform colour will probably make them stand out aswell (this is partly because of the finer dot pitch all the TAU's use).

Even all of that would have been almost tolerable if it wasn't for the worst thing of all-. Like you, I primarily wanted to play R1&2 DVD's so it didn't matter to me that tuner reception was a bit sub-par. Brace yourself...... you get intermittent patterning (randomly occuring mesh-like shapes) which are most obvious when they briefly obscure someones face (because then you can't miss it). There's no way that this problem affects every single set, because if it did there'd be a thread on here just as long as the Sony scrolling-bars one!. I don't know if it's a shielding issue, a dodgy set-up or a design flaw of some sort, but no-one would watch DVD's with such an irritating interruption hanging over them (so for your sake, I hope the problem's confined to a bad batch). Reportedly, this doesn't happen with NTSC material, but I use Pal 50 for R1's anyway (don't like scan-lines).

One other thing, you can sometimes see flickery horizontal stripes on R2 DVD's too (on uniform colour, like Skylines), but the PK3 range had that problem too. Again, R1's are supposedly okay, but I never really tried any because I'd already thrown in the towel by then...

For what it's worth, the overall impression I got was that the PL1 is a cheapo TV hiding in the shell of a rather expensive one.

8. JamieL

JamieL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody confirm whether the 28" PL4 suffers from the same problems?

Many thanks!

9. BigLandman

BigLandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't ignore all the negative comments surrounding this telly, so i'm going to cancel my order tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice

The hunt continues......

10. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get pretty much the same problems as Nyquil.
    I've noticed those stripes as well on football and the winter olympics.
    I also get a mesh interference on R2 DVD playback, and loads of other interference as well. Its not really bad but once you see it, you'll always see it.
    I hope I can get my money back and find another TV instead :(
    Out of Interest Nyquil what TV do you have now?

11. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A very reliable 14" portable! (not for much longer though).

I've been researching all the 50hz JVC offerings and I'm just about to make a move. I was all set to buy an AVFT1, but after a demo of the set I decided I couldn't live with the wonky 4:3 geometry. It seemed like a great set on the whole, but I watch a lot of analogue terrestrial so the problem would be too much to live with in my case (it would be ideal for DVD watching though).

While I was in the showroom I had a look at a JVC S2 (the one with a blue I-mac style frame) and instantly fell in love with it!. I'd actually crossed this set off my shortlist ages ago because it suffers from the pin-cushion effect, but after encountering virtually every other flaw possible on the Panny, a little pin-cushioning hardly seems worth mentioning!.

A search of this site revealed a very positive feeling towards the TV and the review in Home Cinema magazine (from when the set still cost £1000) was equally complimentary. It was priced at £799 in Comet, so I've started looking around for a cheap e-tailer deal (preferably without a stand to cut the price even more).

So hopefully I'll own one of those soon. It's been a long road though... I didn't want a 100Hz set because I don't like the side-effects of the technology and I didn't want a budget TV (Goodmans etc) as I hoped this purchase would last 5yrs+ so I wanted a good quality product and (hopefully) the accompanying performance. By that process of elimination I was only left with 3 or 4 choices.

I ruled out all mid-range makes (Thomson/Hitachi etc) because I snobbishly wanted a set from one of the better regarded companies. The Philips 6515 wasn't worth the risk (processing fault/geometry), The Philips 6006 has a curved screen (spit!) and you've seen what people think of Sony on this board.... The PL1 seemed perfect on paper so I didn't waste any time buying one. As you've read above, I wasn't exactly impressed with it (understatement) so I'm praying that the JVC S2 is as good as it looks.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What's that ?

4:3 mode on my JVC is not very good either but there again I hardly use it so it isn't a problem.

Did you try the panoramic mode ?

13. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

I don't have Sky Digital in my bedroom (or any kind of digital TV box), so whenever I watch the terrestrial channels the most common screen ratio will be 4:3. My analogue cable box doesn't offer any kind of screen-shape choices and what makes it worse is that channels like BBCNews24 are cropped to 4:3 (rather than the compromise 14:9 that tuners pick-up).

I did try the panoramic mode and I admit that it does a good job of keeping things in sensible proportions, but it just isn't to my taste. I've not seen it done any better elsewhere, but if something's 4:3, I want to see it fully displayed in 4:3 mode. I'm not sure I could get used to it because the occasional pan/zoom would highlight distortions and obviously, part of the image is always missing anyway (I bought a widescreen to see more of the picture, not less!). The FT1's 4:3 geometry isn't quite good enough for the kind of constant use it would be getting.

If I had Sky Digital, it wouldn't be a problem and I was impressed with the general image quality. That's why I'm looking at the S2, as it has the same sort of quality but with more consistent geometry (the 4:3 borders are perfectly straight). So don't worry, I know you get sick of recommending 50Hz JVC's only for people to buy a Sony/Panasonic/Toshiba which they then moan about. I've only changed my mind because I think the S2 will be more appropriate for my viewing habits (it's still a 50Hz JVC though).