1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX28PK25 Replacemant

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pisky, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to replace my 28" Panny CRT with an LCD HD Ready. I currently receive via a Sky dish and have a very weak analogue signal due to adjacent woods. Have seen good reviews of the Panny TX26LXD 500 but wonder if I can do better for less money. The Panny crt is very good on digital and DVD and am afraid I will be disappointed with the LCD. Any comments?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Make sure you see the same sources you currently use fed into a display model of the set you intent to buy.

In my experience, high resolution, progressive displays really emphasise MPEG2 encoding artefacts on DVDs - and especially digital TV. Check to see if you can live with the picture quality. You may find there are specific tweaks for digital blockiness and noise reduction that improve things.

Whilst HD performance is important - and anyone spending serious money on buying a new TV needs to consider HD as an issue - don't forget that initially you will be watching a lot of standard def digital material - so how watchable these sources are is probably at least as important.

For me, purely a personal opinion (though I am trained to assess picture quality objectively), LCDs direct-views still have a very "strange" look - both in picture quality terms (black level, gamma, how they handle motion) and physical design (how they cope with reflections)

3. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Stephen. I guess I won't be watching HD for some time yet as I resent paying Sky big money for the privilege. However seems sensible to get ready for when prices drop (?) or other players enter the market. I'm rather disappointed with the shop displays I have seen so far as they don't seem to be able to set up properly. Anyone had the same experience?

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    John Lewis in High Wycombe have their Panasonic plasmas connected to both an HD replay source (a Panasonic Japan set top box and an IOData hard drive) as well as a regular aerial and a DVD player. This allows you to compare 1080/60i (I think), 576/50i (off-air Freeview) and DVD 576/50i (might have been 50p didn't get a chance to check)

Their Sagem was connected to a Windows PC replaying Windows Media HD, and I think connected to an aerial and a DVD player as well (though I think the Sagem only has an analogue tuner?)

I don't think John Lewis had working Sky boxes - but they could probably connect a Freeview box if you went when they weren't too busy if the set doesn't have an integrated digital receiver.

Can't speak too highly of John Lewis stores in London and the surrounding regions - had nothing but good experiences. (They usually treat me like a customer rather than an irritant)

5. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Cornwall - yes a Cornish Pisky- and local retailers are not so switched on as in the London area. My real dilemma is whether to go for HD ready even though I probably use the facility for some years or to save some cash. My #1 priority is picture quality via digital TV or DVD sources and I have seen some pretty bad ones and some extremely good from Panasonic and JVC. I understand Sony are about to release new models and I have good vibes about their products. Can I get some feedback from those that have recently made the change from good quality CRT to LCD and what the main pitfalls are. Also anyone know availabilty/timescale for HD DVDs and whether new hardware is required?

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If priority #1 is digital TV picture quality, and HD isn't an issue, AND picture size isn't a major issue, I'd very seriously consider looking at a 50Hz CRT IDTV from Sony, whilst they are still available.

I've got a 5 year old 28" 50Hz WEGA - and after a bit of setting up (fiddling in the engineering menus to get the geometry and blanking right for me) it still delivers excellent results with DVDs, Digital TV and my Media Center PC (which is connected via RGB and running a custom 1024x576/50i display mode)

My father replaced his 28" Sony set with a 32" Sony IDTV a year or so ago - and the DVB-T tuner they use is excellent, and the picture IMHO is still very good for SD sources.

For me the de-interlacing and progressive conversion - combined with the higher resolution - in LCDs and Plasmas actually make digital TV from Sky and Freeview look pretty bad (even if you do fiddle with the MPEG artefact reduction settings some companies provide). They look lovely when fed HD - but really make SD look worse than interlaced, 50Hz CRTs.

If you want a flat TV then sure LCD/CRT make sense. If you think you're going to go for HD-DVD or BluRay in the next few years, then again they make sense.

However if you need a new set, but don't want to commit huge amounts of money, then a 50Hz CRT may still give you a picture you will be happier with for SD sources...

7. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Stephen. The prime driver for changing is the overpowering size of my Panny CRT and stand. I can live with it but my wife says it dominates the lounge! So an LCD it is. I'm in no great rush so will wait to see what hits the market in the next couple of months. One last question...what is Bluray?

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    BluRay is the Sony HD format they are pitching as a high def version of DVD. They have an early version (for recording HD off-air) on sale in Japan already - but this isn't the same as the version they will be selling world-wide.

It has a rival in HD-DVD - which is similar, but different...