Panasonic TX28DTM1 - Recording from DVB when TV off - How??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by HamishDog, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. HamishDog

HamishDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm setting up the following items for my mum. (Seriously)

TV: Panasonic TX28DTM1
    DVD-Recorder: Panasonic DMR-E55

The TV has a built in DVB (Freeview)

The problem is simple. When i set the DVD Recorder to record and then switch the TV off or put it in standby the signal to the DVD-Recorder is lost - i.e. the DVD-Recorder just records a blank screen.

Simply - how can she record from the DVB to the DVD-Recorder without having to leave the TV on all day? I must be doing something wrong but can't for the life of me work out what!

I'm quite techincally minded (i repair PCs for a living) and can set up a TV, DVB / Cable box, DVD Player and Video without any problems (normally) - as i have done in my front room many times.

Thank you.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    I tried to download the user manual from the Panasonic site but it's not listed.
    Have you read the manual? There is usually a page detailing which scart outputs the DVB and how to record etc........but there is a possibility you may need to leave the set on......dumb I know :confused: but I think going from memory that's the way certain Panasonic TV's are setup......whereas with a Sony IDTV I think it can be switched to standby and still output the signal for recording.

3. HamishDog

HamishDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been through the manual over and over. At the beginning there is a disgram of the front of the TV and it points to the light on the front stating

Indicator LED:
    Red Indicates Standby Mode
    Orange Indicates DVB system active for recording.

I assumed this meant that there was a "Standby" mode that would still allow the recoding through the DVB tuner, but there is nothing in the manual that tells you how to set the TV into this mode.

There's a whole load of pages on Q-Link (both the TV and DVD-recorder are Q-Link enabled) but i can't get my head round it for some reason at the moment.....

4. HamishDog

HamishDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think i've got it. You have to leave the TV in standby after having programmed the TV to come on and tune to the correct channel. Q-Link allows the TV to tell the DVD-Recorder to start recording so you only need to program the TV.

Any comments?

5. llg

llg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to record freeview channel and turn tv onto standby go into the menu part of the tv. the one which gives you the options PICTURE,SOUND,SETUP. go to setup. first making sure you are on the freeview tuner. right whichever av connection your recorder is into whether it is AV1 or AV2. goto the part that for example says AV1 OUT. no scroll across using the right arrow on the remote till the option DVB comes up set it to that.

that will allow you to set the tv to standby while recording freeview. this sytem works best if the recorder is in AV2 as the recording can be done through Q-LINK on the tv to the recorder.

hope that helps.

6. HamishDog

HamishDog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The options are set up as described.

Last night i found that if you went in that menu and then selected DVB Timer you could then set the TV to control the DVD Recorder via Q-Link and when the TV is put into standby the Orange light comes on and all records just fine.

However if i manually start a recording and switch to Standby then the recording fails. Any way round this?

Also for some reason the "Direct TV Rec" button results in a recording of static and not whats on the TV.

7. Loopydog

Loopydog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same TV. The only difference is that I do not have a Q-Link link on my VCR so have to set the timer on the video manually. But (as for Hamishdog) all I get is a blank screen recorded off Freeview, even when setting the DVB timer properly if the TV set is on Standby.
    Can anyone solve this?

8. Saggy

Saggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    loopy: are you setting the timer on the tv as well as the timer on the recorder?

Martin

9. StevenX

StevenX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solution:

I was having the same problems as above, but after some experimenting found the solution.

1 - Make sure that the DVD recorder (or VCR) is connected to the correct scart sockets. So, if it's a DVDR connect a scart lead from AV1 on the back of the TV to the INPUT scart on the back of your DVDR, and another scart from the output of the DVDR to AV2 on the back of your TV. (note - for a VCR, do the opposite.. Switch AV1/2 around - I don't have a VCR so I can only assume this is right).

2 - Change the settings. Go to Menu > Setup Menu. Now, make sure that "AV1 Out," is set to "DVB." Now, this is the crucial part - change "AV2 Out," to "AV1."
    By default both are set to DVB - if both are kept on DVB, recordings will fail. So you have to set AV2 out to AV1.

3 - Make sure you have the timer set properly on the TV AND the DVDR/VCR, and that you are recording from SCART.

Hope that this helps the people who are still struggling with this - the manual is extremely unhelpful.