1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX28 PD50 advice

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BTJ007, Mar 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. BTJ007

BTJ007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, am new to the forum, hope someone could give me a little advice regarding the PD50.

My mum is about to buy a new TV and has her heart set on the PD50 after seeing it in her local P'sonic dealer. I'm a little concerned after reading all the comments posted here about problems with this set.

I just wondered if anyone had any opinions of the PD50's quality as just a general TV set, a opposed to use as part of a home cinema set up (from which I can see that standards are very demanding!!!)

any comments would be greatly appreciated as I don't want my mum to buy a lemon!!

cheers

2. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does your mum want to use it for? I assume mainly watching TV but via anlogue arial or by a cable/satellite system?

3. BTJ007

BTJ007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She watches Sky mostly - not into DVDs!

What I'm most concerned about is reliability, i.e is it likely to last a good few years without trouble. She currently has a Panasonic TX21 that is fifteen years old and still works fine and before that had another Panasonic for a long time. I get the impression (from reading the forum) that the quality isn't as good these days.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    You have to take what you read with a pinch of salt - people will post when they have an issue rather than everyone who has a PD30/50 posting how great their set is.

There are a number of potential issues that have been identified on both these sets however the vast majority are out the box problems and not something that suggests the TV will die after a short period of time. Also as long as you buy from a 1/2 decent retailer you will always have the protection of the new Sales of Goods Act.

Whilst I love my PD30 TV and do not intend to change it until I get round to getting a plasma and projector its real strengths come in when using component inputs (and in particular prog scan). At present that basically is DVD players though Sky HD will have component outputs when it starts at the end of the year and some people have reported improvements in pictures when they use an RGB -> Component convertor but I cannot comment from personal experiences.

I would recommend the panny but you should also consider the likes of the toshiba if DVD & the potential of Sky HD will not be of interest

5. Paul Philpott

Paul Philpott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi I think your Mum will be delighted with this TV. I have a TX32PD50 and sky+ is fantastic-make sure its connected to AV1 with a quality scart lead.
    Re reliabilty I have a friend who owns a large independent electric store who rates Panasonic very highly for reliability. Hope this is of some help!!

6. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to say that Sky + through my PD50 is appalling!! There is so much pixilation, particularly in dark colours or on any movement, that i am sending mine back and returning to a 50Hz 28". (This depite spending £40 on a new quality scart lead!)

I even had the Sky enginner out who replaced my LNB and said the persisting poor picture is down to the way the TV over processes an already compressed Sky picture.

I have to admit the set looks great and works fantastically with DVDs but I would beware with Sky!. My guess is that different parts of the country have differing quality signals but what i am sure of is that different Sky channels have different compression rates. The main five terrestial channels are not too bad (still not as good as my old 28" JVC) but some of the others are just plain dreadful. So if your mum likes watching UK Gardening.....be-doubly-aware! (Am I being a bit too stereotypical of mums???)

At the end of the day I would definitley buy from somewhere where you can take it back if you are not satisifed with the picture (?good old John Lewis).

Good luck and let us know how you get on..i would be intrigued! For me- it's a new Sony 28" 50Hz (the new JVCs are just too wide...but thats another story).

7. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you hope to achieve in getting another TV , you say DVD is good on the Panny so its Sky who is at fault sending poor bitrate signals. Have you tried turning off the processing to see if it improves the picture?I have a 36 inch panny and most channels are good to reasonable on Sky , when i go on the Hotbird sat the picture is fantastic, its Sky not your TV.

8. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36" PD50 connected to a Netgem Freeview box and the picture is excellent on all channels. :thumbsup:
    It must just be the bad Sky signals. :eek:

9. john read

john read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree its Sky that's the underlying problem but surely it's also how well the TV copes with a poor over-compressed Sky picture that is the issue here? (As i mainly watch Sky and Sky+ recordings.)

Can you please tell me how you can "turn off" the processing for a Panny TX28 PD50?

I have the picture settings set to "Normal" and "Progressive" as these give the best results.

10. BTJ007

BTJ007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments, am considerably reassured. She will be getting one from John Lewis (decent warranty) so I'll post and let you know what it's like when it shows up!

cheers again

BTJ

11. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On Sky i have my settings as Cinema with noise reduction on and flicker off, i only get the free channels so i cant comment on the subscribed ones. If you mainly watch Sky i cant recommend a tv for you, i watched Get Shorty on Chn 5 digital last night and the picture was fantastic. I don't think its fair that after buying top end TVs we have to put up with low bitrate broadcasts from TV stations, even BBC and ITV are guilty on this . Long live channel 5 and Hotbird sat who on the main give us a decent signal.