Panasonic TX26LXD500 - Excellent 26" LCD

J.V

Standard Member
Hi all,

Just a bit of info for those of you trying to decide which 26" LCD to buy.

After spending quite a while deciding which one to go for (I was on the brink of buying the Sony KDL26-S2010), I finally took the plunge and went for the Panasonic TX26LXD500.

So how pleased am I with my decision? Well the short answer is - very !!

Picked it up for £639 incl. del from Jack in the Box online (it was selling for over £1000 not so long ago). Ordered on Weds and it arrived yesterday, so excellent service and price to JITB...

Now onto the LCD itself. When first turned on, it tunes itself without you having to press a button and it picked up all available freeview channels with no problems. Good start.

The freeview picture quality is nothing short of amazing! Absolutely crystal clear with no issues whatsoever. The colours are bright and vibrant without looking/being overpowering or loking artificial. Skin tones in particular are very good.

In terms of sound quality, again, it is very good. Good bass/treble capabilities and able to cope at good volumes with no signs of distortion whatsoever. I would think it would be more than adequate for the vast majority of users..

Add to this the excellent build quality, stylish design and choice of inputs, I would find it hard to believe that there is a better value for money 26" LCD out there.

So, to all of you out there yet to decide, you may want to consider this LCD when making up your mind...

Hope the info helps.

JV

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
The Panny was always the flagship 26" set to get, been around for a while now but it still cannot be beaten. It will be interesting to see what the new PannyTX26 (&32) LXD600s will be like - if they are anything like their predecessors then they will be sheer quality.

JV, the PQ via HDMI on my 32LXD500 - with both SkyHD and upscaled DVD - is nothing short of amazing. If freeview blows you away on your 26LXD500 then get SkyHD.

golly99

I'm currently considering the 26lxd60, how does this model compare with the lxd500? When is the lxd600 due?

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
golly99 said:
I'm currently considering the 26lxd60, how does this model compare with the lxd500? When is the lxd600 due?

Go for the 26LXD500 - definitely better than the LXD60, both in terms of PQ and styling.

The '600 series is due out around September.

J.V

Standard Member
ww, you mention upscaled DVD via HDMI produces a superb picture. How have you connected your DVD player to the LCD - what cables do you use?

I currently have normal sky and am thinking about upgrading to sky HD..

S

s.w_1983

Hi,

Could an owner of one of these sets do me a massive favour, and measure it from left to right?

I'm getting conflicting measurements from various online resources :(

Basically I'm limited to 70cm wide...

Cheers,

SW.

andyb_68

Standard Member
I am just about to take the plunge into the LCD market, 26" is the size that best fits the room and seating. I was considering the sony but now reading this thread wonder if the choice is correct. It is so hard to walk into a shop and compare and unlike the old days with speakers where you could "try before you buy". I could be left with a donkey. So any help would be welcome, :lease:

J.V

Standard Member
Andy,

I know how you feel - it is a nightmare and I too was a little worried that I may be left with a duffer...

Anyway, I was also considering the Sony but what swayed it for me in the end was this review of the panny from Home Cinema Hardware Reviews dated Feb 06 :

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6694

I do not doubt that the Sony is also an impressive LCD, but I am very pleased with the choice I ultimately made.

Regards.

J.V.

mekes82

J.V glad you like the set mate. I got mine back in January when they were going for near a grand and havent looked back since. Its been a great performer with anything Ive thrown its way!

All in all, for the price it is going for now, people should be rushing out to get one! Fantastic price! :eek:

S

s.w_1983

J.V said:
Just measured my TX26LXD500 and it's a touch under 73cm...
Thanks for that :smashin:

Back to the drawing board then; over 70cm is completely out :(

I'm currently looking at other 26" offerings from Samsung and JVC...

Any comments/other considerations?

SW.

andyb_68

Standard Member
have you considered the Sony KDL-26S2010U. Seems the get good write up in the forums, Which is also 658mm, so enough room for air movement!

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
J.V said:
ww, you mention upscaled DVD via HDMI produces a superb picture. How have you connected your DVD player to the LCD - what cables do you use?

I currently have normal sky and am thinking about upgrading to sky HD..

Have DVD connected via HDMI.

I do have SkyHD as well - so Sky and the DVD are connected via an HDMI splitter, then one HDMI cable from splitter into the LCD. I use this splitter.

dacco

s.w_1983 said:
Thanks for that :smashin:

Back to the drawing board then; over 70cm is completely out :(

I'm currently looking at other 26" offerings from Samsung and JVC...

Any comments/other considerations?

SW.

how about 26lxd52 if you can find one, still a class leader.

S

s.w_1983

dacco said:
how about 26lxd52 if you can find one, still a class leader.
I can't find it on Panasonic's site?

I take it, it is an older model?

Just googling it now!

Cheers :)

SW.

L

LostSoul

I have had this set, the TX26LXD500 that is, for about six months, very pleased with it, particularly freeview picture quality. Shows up deficencies in inferior input greatly.

I also have it rigged up as my second monitor via a long cable my gpu cards VGA out. WAs a major deciding factor for choosing this over others. Gives great DVD playback, and can game like the old days, but now playing tes:Oblivion in front of the telly not pong.

But my main reason for posting, is does anyone know a good stand for this. I currently have it on a little coffee table!:rolleyes:

I like the kind of slimline ones, ie sort of flush with the set, like I've seen for larger screens. I also have a VCR and a standalone DVD-r to put under it, with possibly a third such item coming in a few months.

Be pleased to hear anyones solutions to siting their Panny!:lease:

Ta

Lee.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom