Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B 3D Plasma Television Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 28th April 2013. Panasonic promised us an enthusiast TV that was "beyond the reference" and with the P60ZT65 they have made good on that promise. Yes it's expensive but if you want an uncompromising level of performance there will always be a premium. All we can say is that the P60ZT65 has more than lived up to its billing and is, quite simply, the best TV we have ever seen. Time to put those KUROs on eBay guys.
Read the full review...

Dither, IR, Line bleed and DFC, a truly stunning set.

Only Joking :D top review, sounds like there's a new top dog in town.

Dither, IR, Line bleed and DFC, a truly stunning set.

All issues inherent to plasma tech :) (I know you were joking).

From the review though it seems to suffer less than the models lower down the range and definitely less than previous panasonics.

Pretty much as it stands the ZT is as good as it gets for plasma technology.

I want one, but I could never live with myself spending 4 grand on a tv.

I think these sets will hold their value and I doubt the price will drop more than a few hundred from the rrp.

Thanks for the review! :smashin:
The ZT65 appears to be a really great performer!

Just one note, looking at the numbers, shouldn't be the ANSI contrast ratio for the KURO 48500:1 instead of 43500:1?

At last the bickering can end.:clap:
Great review Phil:smashin: do you think the price will drop to about 2.5k by next year?

I jest, not a chance lol.

:facepalm: well Steve that's what you get for putting it up so late.:D Im in bed about to zzzzzzz....yet Im not cuz I need to read it again..why I don't know, I'll never afford one....will you get me one? My birthdays not far off.:D

Stephen,

Could you easily seel the suggested benefits that Panasonic proclaimed about the the gapless air feature? Would you classify the ZT as a significant or marginal leap over the VT?

Thanks for the great review!

On a serious note.

1. Im a bit confused over the wider gamut and improved red, do you need to use the wider gamut to improve the red. Silly question probably but be good to have clarification.

2. What could use the wider gamut? Could this set make use of it with some form of downscaled 4k?

3. You mention the 50hz, I guess you're referring to the bug(you just put 50hz).
Is it completely gone? Id expect there to be a slight amount still as I've seen it on both LG and Samsung plasma too, much like DFC.

4. What are the major differences between this and the VT65? cleaner image, more depth etc.

5. What would you say are the plus and minus points compared to the last Kuros?

and number 6. Is this the best consumer display you've ever seen? :D

Just buy now pay later over 60 months :D

Oh god don't say that! Just about to clear all my debt lol. I could buy a little old fiat rather than the Audi I'd planned though..hmmm...

Im going to sleep before I need to infract myself for going off topic.

Great read Steve, look forward to seeing one of these up against a VT65, hope Im not tempted to spend more money.

I want one. Really tempted to sell my VT50 to fund towards one but I fear the wife will kill me if I mention upgrade. Worth a shot though :D

Stephen,

Could you easily seel the suggested benefits that Panasonic proclaimed about the the gapless air feature? Would you classify the ZT as a significant or marginal leap over the VT?
In terms of mll, it remains to be seen, how low the 65 inch VT65 will reach. ;)

I will never forgive Panasonic, that they don't give us the 65" ZT65. :(

great review steve, well done on the world's first exclusive review, so my signature still lives up to its name! but then again, i wouldn't expect anything else from my beloved avforums.

Which Kuro were you comparing it to, a LX or KRP?

How was its component buzz and fan noise?

I discuss the benefits of the Studio Master Panel at length in the review but rest assured, it works!

I'll be reviewing the P65VT65 soon, so I'll be able to answer that question then.

In terms of mll, it remains to be seen, how low the 65 inch VT65 will reach. ;)

I will never forgive Panasonic, that they don't give us the 65" ZT65. :(
I am sure, that very late this year or next will be avialable for Europe 65 inch of ZT60:smashin:

Which Kuro were you comparing it to, a LX or KRP?

How was its component buzz and fan noise?

Same as you, the LX5090.

I discuss buzz and fa noise in the review but it was minimal, you certainly couldn't hear either when sat down watching TV and the buzz on my LX5090 was much louder.

1. Im a bit confused over the wider gamut and improved red, do you need to use the wider gamut to improve the red. Silly question probably but be good to have clarification.

2. What could use the wider gamut? Could this set make use of it with some form of downscaled 4k?

3. You mention the 50hz, I guess you're referring to the bug (you just put 50hz). Is it completely gone? I'd expect there to be a slight amount still as I've seen it on both LG and Samsung plasma too, much like DFC.

4. What are the major differences between this and the VT65? cleaner image, more depth etc.

5. What would you say are the plus and minus points compared to the last Kuros?

1. The wider colour gamut is really just marketing baloney because all the content we watch uses Rec.709, so that is the colour space the TV needs to hit.

2. Doubt it but it's possible that the manufacturers are just preparing for a wider colour space to be used on future 4K displays.

3. I don't think the '50Hz bug' has been an issue since last year but I definitely didn't see it on the ZT65.

4. I haven't reviewed the VT65 yet, so I can't really answer that yet but I'll be doing the P65VT65 soon.

5. I go into that at length in the review but quickly the ZT65 has a better picture, built-in speakers, built-in WiFi, Smart TV, FreeviewHD, 3D, is more attractive and much thinner. Not to mention a damn sight lighter!

and number 6. Is this the best consumer display you've ever seen?

Yes

Re-worded 6. Are you buying one?

I would if I had four grand spare.

Q1 -just a quick question steve, whats does the term EBU certification mean and what does it mean for picture quality or what are the benefits over other sets..on my way to work so only had the opportunity to scan over the review will read in more detail when i get home.

Q2 -how far away do you think OLED at the ZT prices and size are we 3/4 yrs? i only ask this as im keen to make a move on plasma this year, but dont want to buy one if 4k OLED 60 inch screens are likely closer than everyone thinks at ZT prices. just after your opinion with the info you have.

and i managed to remember to read the test results page this time round!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom