Panasonic TX-P55VT50B or Samsung UE55ES800

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by pupsta8910, Jul 31, 2012.

1. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Simple Question budget is 2k.

Which TV would you suggest i buy? I have done research and come up with the following two models

Panasonic TX-P55VT50B or Samsung UE55ES800

Reading up seems to be a lot of negative feedback on the samsung? I hear panasonic are great, but i do really like the design of the samsung & features. Mainly using it for films (blueray) and ps3.

thanks

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Id say the VT but it would be a good idea to demo both and see what you prefer.

3. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks. was concerned as its a blue moon i buy a new tv that i am using older technology in form of Plasma vs LED. Will go shop and take a look.

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Don't be fooled LED TV's are LCDs with LED back lighting. Plasma and LCD are around the same age. Edge lit LED sets can have more issues than non LED back lit. IMO plasma tech is better with better blacks, better motion, no viewing angle restriction, better uniformity and quite frankly pound for pound far better PQ. Just my opinion though, plasma is by no means perfect with IR and quite performance issues in very bright rooms. If comparing LCD and plasma you want to do it in a proper light controlled demo room.

5. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Excellent appreciate info. Its hard to find negative feedback for the panni model, i maybe tipping that way but shall take a look in person and yeah thanks again.

6. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for posting this pupsta - i was just about to do the same! :)

I have been troubling over these two units for nearly a month now.....the problem for me is this:

The Panasonic - its reference - by my understanding its so good people compare other tvs to it....its meant to be amazing for films - great black levels - very realistic, good 3-d glasses, nice remotes, nice 1-piece glass screen, reliable, price vs ES8000. Negatives are said to be that its a little too dark when viewing tv in either standard or high def, its high power consumption and average audio.

The Samsung - beautiful design, packed with features (webcam +skype integration) voice controls, motion controls, apps, tiny "infinity" style bezel, low power consumption, fantastic for daytime tv in either standard or HD, very good for 3d. Negatives are light bleeding/clouding in the corners when viewing dark programs/films. price vs panasonic

I watch a fair amount of tv - say 2 hours a day in lit living room(curtains open) conditions and at the weekend a lot more....but i also like to watch a good film in the dark with the 7.1 booming.

I have seen both TVs in action in RS - have to say i wasnt massively impressed with the VT50 in terms of brightness - but may be because the lights are unnaturally high making the panny look quite dark - whereas the ES8000 i have also seen in a home and it did look beautiful and vibrant and bright. I did however notice slight light bleeding on the Sammy when they played a blu ray and it went darker. I know that this is not massively fair comparison but its all i could get.

Been tearing what hair i have left out trying to decide as £2000 is a lot of money to put down on the wrong tv. I watch 70% tv (including my kid watching cartoons) and 30% films.....the vibrance of the Sammy attracts me for the TV element but the darkness of the blacks on the Panny attract me to the VT50 for films. I do also play stuff like MW3 on the PS3 so that would be of interest.....

Any advice of any kind would be much appreciated - i am so indecisive....

7. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good write up there. Likewise i was leaning Panni but now back to the Samsung. Was a slight concern as i play ps3 that screen burn may occur over time on the panni as its plamsa. On the other hand plasma is better for gaming so i hear.

Think personally im going to lean on the Samsung as i have my own audio setup. Like with holidays you can read 100 reviews and for every 5 good reviews you get 1 bad one which makes you doubt.

I think a safe choice is the Panni, but i like bright images and the features / furture proof of the Samsung & design is taking me in that direction.

Samsung dead on £2k

Samsung UE55ES8000-www.buydigital.tv

Use this site gives you the codes. Best thing to do is to then go to John Lewis online and fill out the price match form to get 5 year guarantee & buy from them direct :) little tip.

8. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too like bright vibrant pictures....i currently have an older Samsung LCD that i got from Costco - but the greyness annoys me in dark parts of films.....and when you are being constantly told that the VT50 is reference and the best....hard to argue! :)

I am leaning toward the Samsung too - purely because my little one is 2 years old and so i imagine for the next 5 years at least there will be lots of cartoons and cartoon films being watched on the tv - and i think that the Samsung may look better for these.....lets be honest its still going to be an amazing pic quality with films anyway.:laugh:

PS - thanks for the tip with the above - need to submit my price match with JL. How long do they take normally? are you sure they price match with this company?

9. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Indeed :) - Think we need to grow some balls n hit that order button :)

Plus get a free Tab with it if order before 22nd :p

It has a top mark review from whathifi ! Either way like u said its going to b the dong !

Samsung UE55ES8000 review from the experts at whathifi.com

10. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    but u buy first and let me know lol

11. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haha right - price match form going in now!!!

12. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :) done my form the other day but no response yet. Let me know if your's comes thru ... GOnna order from John LEwis soon as it rolls in...! Lot of wonga but hey ho YOLO!

13. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn - guess they take a while then! Just done mine now, but i wont expect it until next week then!

14. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  15. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  16. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might have to pal - JL just rejected my application - i believe its because reliant dont have a shop its just a showroom attached to an internet only website.....at a guess. shame - will check out your other links though thanks!

17. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha the LG curveball! ;) looks very live but very expensive.

Think the wife is set on the Samsung now too so it's effectively game over for any other model! Haha

Annoyingly John Lewis rejected my second application for the currys price match as they said the voucher ran out on 31st July. The day I submitted it!!

18. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dude call me a legend but i have got a price match accepted from JL :)

for £1895

Use this link Samsung UE55ES8000 55" Series 8 SMART Full HD 3D LED TV

Fill out the form ASAP before price changes and JL keep price for 28 days :) - *takes a bow*

Im going to buy the samsung probably next week peace of mind knowing the 1895 is frozen for 28 days!!!

19. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Legend.

Just sent it through now - thanks for that - great price!

Annoyingly i sent of a comparison for currys on 31st July, they replied on 1st August saying that the code had run out on 31st July and so it was rejected.....cheeky as would have had a 3d blu ray player to go with it...but at £1895 i am happy!

fingers crossed that i get it matched! If it gets matched i will order straight away as want to get that free Galaxy tab before 22nd August and whack it on ebay :)

20. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :) yeah i thought it was a good price. To be fair in 2-3 months it will be standard at that price. yeah i presume the tab we should get about £150-160 on the ebay. I shall do the same. so in effect around £1700 for the TV. DO IT DO IT DO IT!! haha

21. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah for some reason still papping it that they wont price match, but to be honest:
    1) Its got a Bricks and Mortar store (i just checked on google street maps)
    2) Its in stock
    3) Its the same model
    4) You just got it price matched!

lol - want this really badly now! haha

22. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    haha - :) yeah u should be fine with the price match. I've only not ordered yet as i wanna get a new tv stand from ikea and want to assemble it prior to taking the tv. Will hopefully do that this weekend and order once im done and dusted.

Will be a joyful but painful moment when i hit that order button £££££

23. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm what tv stand are you looking at? i have a glass one at the moment, but it was bought for 32" lcd when they first came out so its now probably time for a new one too... needs to be able to fit Sky box, PS3, Centre speaker, TV, AV Receiver, Wii(not that bothered actually)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  24. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    BESTÅ BURS TV bench - high-gloss black - IKEA

Getting this. Looks quality when u see it in person (mate has it). All sky , ps3 etc all fits inside. Middle draws collapse down (to show face of sky box) but u can buy the magic eye / infared adapater. Plug this into the back of the sky box and sit the reciever ontop of cabinet or somewhere u can point controller to. that way no cables, no boxes in sight :)
    (can get different colours of unit, and also more combinations like addtional side units and over head storage but im going for just the bench).

25. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Samsung UE55ES8000 television.

I have looked into your request and will be happy to match the price of £1895 for the above item seen at Electrocentre."

Back of the net! :)

26. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help with this pupsta!

27. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sweeet as a nut! get in !

Saved a few notes there mate :)

28. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  29. djfuture

djfuture
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered mine for delivery on Tuesday! :)

not sure i can get a sealed unit unless i can find an ir receiver for my Onkyo AV Receiver.:clap:

30. boyflyhigh

boyflyhigh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would get neither and wait for the LG OLED to come out. Plasma will always be over LCD but it can never surpass the OLED.