Panasonic TX-P50VT65 Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: The settings below are supplied for information purposes only. We make no guarantee that using the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture, they may even make it look worse. Every TV, even from the same manufacturer and model number will vary, as will the environment the TV is used in. For further information on how to set up your TV, please follow the steps in our Picture Perfect campaign.

To find a professional calibrator near you, see our Custom Installer and Calibrator Directory.

You can read the review here: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B review

Viewing Mode: Professional1
Contrast: 52
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm
Vivid Colour: Off
Colour Remaster: Off
Reversal Film Effect: Off
Ambient Sensor: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Remaster: Off
Resolution Master: Off
Caption Smoother: Off
Brilliance Enhancer: Off
Intelligent Frame Creation/24p Smooth Film: Off
Advanced Settings
Panel Luminance Setting: Mid
Adaptive Gamma Control: 0
Black Expander: 0
Colour Gamut: Rec. 709
White Balance 2-Point: default
White Balance 10-Point: 10 R 11/G-10/B10, 20 R9/G-16/B10, 30 R5/G-11/B10, 40 R0/G-5/B8, 50 R-3/G0/B2, 60 R0/G0/B0, 70 R-2/G0/B2, 80 R-13/G0/B2, 90 R-20/G1/B-2, 100 R-20/G-2/B-1
Colour Management: Red Hue -5, Saturation 4, Luminance -11, Green Hue -9, Saturation -7, Luminance -4, Blue Hue -5, Saturation 2, Luminance -4, Cyan Hue -2, Saturation 0, Luminance 2, Magenta Hue 13, Saturation 0, Luminance -12, Yellow Hue -1, Saturation 0, Luminance 2
Gamma: 2.4
Gamma Detailed: 10 -9, 20 -11, 30 -10, 40 0, 50 4, 60 1, 70 2, 80 2, 90 2, 100 0
Option Settings
Game Mode: Off
Film Cadence Mode: On
1080p Pure Direct: Needs to be tested with source
Screen Settings
16/9 Overscan: Off
Side Panel: High
Pixel Orbiter: Auto/On - personal choice

Last edited:
Many thanks Mark (especially for getting these settings online so quickly)!

That'll do until the TV beds in and can be individually calibrated.

Don't understand the white balance 2 point and 10 point as only see white Balane on TV

Also why all the processor turned off is this the best method.

Waiting for my 200 hours are up and going to get it calibrated properly pending who we must obey go ahead :)

These settings are fine for night time viewing, bright daylight I am using the stock THX Bright Room setting, its easy enough to switch between them.

So if I had my tv calibrated I guess I would need a day and night calibration

Unless mark comes along with a day one. I plan use these to run tv in and then get it calibrated when funds allows and mrs go ahead

I thought I read in the owners thread that Mark was going to do a calibration for a brighter environment, but can't find that these were ever posted. I have followed these settings out of interest, as I am going to get the set calibrated once my replacement arrives (hot pixel on my current 50vt65).

I do think that these settings are producing a slightly dark picture; well they are on my set anyway.

Sorry folks, these are for my room, at night, to my tastes. Call me selfish if you like, I don't care:p

I didn't have the inclination to do daytime settings. Very little incentive as I hardly watch the TV in daylight hours.

Sorry folks, these are for my room, at night, to my tastes. Call me selfish if you like, I don't care:p

I didn't have the inclination to do daytime settings. Very little incentive as I hardly watch the TV in daylight hours.

Im guessing for daytime people could just as well take the above and change contrast and gamma, may throw things out a bit but they aren't going to be bang on anyway.:)

Yeah, up the contrast and colour and change gamma to say 2 and it should look okish

You have to turn them on, go into the menu and it in setup/advanced. Called something like enable ISFccc.

Once enabled you will see the pro modes 1 and 2 appear as an option.

The brightness setting of "0" with a 2.4 gamma setting crushes blacks on my 50VT65, even at night with no lights on. I made a few adjustments using test patterns.

The 10pt white balance adjustments help tune out the overall green tint, though expectedly subtle tints remain at every step. (This isn't a complaint, as copying settings is of course far from an exact science.) In any case, the picture is much improved and will do nicely until the TV can be individually calibrated.

Thanks again Mark. And feel free to be selfish. You're the one watching the TV (for a regrettably short period) after all!

For me with Freeview (HD), I wouldn't say this is a better picture/tv than my Samsung 40C650 (non LED).
I haven't had a huge torture test rather a few hours standard viewing over the last 2 days (about 6-8 hrs total).
This isn't all bad though as there is a 10 inch diagonal difference, and the picture retains resolution, where many larger TVs struggle.
There is some fizzing if seen close up, not visible in the slightest from seating distance.
The general interface I think is better, except for the guide, Samsung's gave a program synopsis but less channels per screen. BBC iplayer is better on the panasonic, I need to grab hold of the other on demand apps.

Haven't tested with Blu or upscaled DVD from Oppo 93 yet, but generally that content goes to my PJ.

Sound is pretty good, and possibly because of how I've got it located in the room the 'surround' effects are surprisingly good if not accurate.

It does get warm, and there are fans but they seem inaudible to me.

Overall I was very happy with the Samsung and the new Panasonic hasn't disappointed in its short stay, wish my building had satellite connection so I could make use of the extra freesat tuners. Looking forward to using the more advanced media stuff, and smartphone/tablet apps.

The mini controller with voice is pretty cool, not sure if its hugely useful, but saying 'big bang theory' and then getting it to display when its playing in the guide is a lot quicker than typing it. Recording to SD card is pretty cool too, especially as I have some lying around with decent capacities.

I've only scratched the surface of the advanced features, while the quality of the TV is great, it has no problem with viewing angles and daylight viewing is no different from pretty much any other screen.

So in summary I'd say a TV without problems (including performance areas), with lots of lots and lots of features on top. If its worth £1,600 - £1,800 all depends on how good the GT or competitor products are, but if you want a no brainer, know you're getting quality, this is a great one to get.

Thanks again Mark. And feel free to be selfish. You're the one watching the TV (for a regrettably short period) after all!

Well I've got it for another couple of days so I can fully clear my outstanding Blu-rays and I seriously now need to become an official, paid up member of the VT65 club. Unless somebody wants to gift me a ZT that is:)

Disclaimer: The settings below are supplied for information purposes only. We make no guarantee that using the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture, they may even make it look worse. Every TV, even from the same manufacturer and model number will vary, as will the environment the TV is used in. For further information on how to set up your TV, please follow the steps in our Picture Perfect campaign.

To find a professional calibrator near you, see our Custom Installer and Calibrator Directory.

You can read the review here: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B review

Viewing Mode: Professional1
Contrast: 52
Brightness: 0
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Colour Temperature: Warm
Vivid Colour: Off
Colour Remaster: Off
Reversal Film Effect: Off
Ambient Sensor: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Remaster: Off
Resolution Master: Off
Caption Smoother: Off
Brilliance Enhancer: Off
Intelligent Frame Creation/24p Smooth Film: Off
Advanced Settings
Panel Luminance Setting: Mid
Adaptive Gamma Control: 0
Black Expander: 0
Colour Gamut: Rec. 709
White Balance 2-Point: default
White Balance 10-Point: 10 R 11/G-10/B10, 20 R9/G-16/B10, 30 R5/G-11/B10, 40 R0/G-5/B8, 50 R-3/G0/B2, 60 R0/G0/B0, 70 R-2/G0/B2, 80 R-13/G0/B2, 90 R-20/G1/B-2, 100 R-20/G-2/B-1
Colour Management: Red Hue -5, Saturation 4, Luminance -11, Green Hue -9, Saturation -7, Luminance -4, Blue Hue -5, Saturation 2, Luminance -4, Cyan Hue -2, Saturation 0, Luminance 2, Magenta Hue 13, Saturation 0, Luminance -12, Yellow Hue -1, Saturation 0, Luminance 2
Gamma: 2.4
Gamma Detailed: 10 -9, 20 -11, 30 -10, 40 0, 50 4, 60 1, 70 2, 80 2, 90 2, 100 0
Option Settings
Game Mode: Off
Film Cadence Mode: On
1080p Pure Direct: Needs to be tested with source
Screen Settings
16/9 Overscan: Off
Side Panel: High
Pixel Orbiter: Auto/On - personal choice

Mark I notice you have the Panel Luminance Setting set to Mid. Does this track gamma fairly well? I have not calibrated my GT yet so thought that low might work better but if not I will give mid a go.

Also my GT displays noise when changing display frequency and seems to take a bit longer to lock on to a signal than my previous VT30. Has anyone else seen this? (I know this is the VT thread but I can't find anyone else with a GT yet to ask :))

Mark Hodgkinson said:
Well I've got it for another couple of days so I can fully clear my outstanding Blu-rays and I seriously now need to become an official, paid up member of the VT65 club. Unless somebody wants to gift me a ZT that is:)

Give a day time calibration a go ;)

Mark I notice you have the Panel Luminance Setting set to Mid. Does this track gamma fairly well? I have not calibrated my GT yet so thought that low might work better but if not I will give mid a go.

Also my GT displays noise when changing display frequency and seems to take a bit longer to lock on to a signal than my previous VT30. Has anyone else seen this? (I know this is the VT thread but I can't find anyone else with a GT yet to ask :))

Yes, gamma tracks perfectly on this set using those settings as you can see in the review and not just the response we show in the reviews (to avoid confusing people), the RGB tracked flat and perfectly together too.

Low calibrates very well too and I could happily live with that setting at night.

Give a day time calibration a go ;)

I will when I have my own:)

So you going get one mark :)

I tried the settings that Mark posted (thanks for this) but to me they didn't look quite right for my set which is to be expected I suppose. I think it is the warm colour setting which makes the whites look a bit yellowish. My question is, would the whites look like this if my set was properly calibrated? I can understand why this might be suitable for movies but for other content it looks a bit unnatural. Does a calibration provide an optimal image for all types of content or is it designed just for movies? At the moment I have reverted to using Normal mode with the contrast set to 60 and it gives a nice natural looking image to me but I know I'm not getting the most out of the set. I'm half tempted to buy a cheap meter and attempt a self calibration although it looks like a pretty complicated process.

Mark if you still have the set can you check for uniformity issues again and re-measure the black level. Please:D

Whites will have the initial appearance of looking a little yellow if you're more accustomed to colour temps with an excess of blue. Almost everyone I know that gives Warm a chance soon becomes accustomed and then everything else soon looks wrong. What is white after all? There's more than one shade of 'white' but as far as standards go, there's one we calibrate to and then let the content, which is mastered to the same standard for both TV and Movies, take care of the rest.

It's not surprising the above settings don't work on your TV. They're enormously specific because of the way the gamma was tracking and I'd be shocked if they were right for more than 0.x% of 50VT65's out there.

To be fair, Normal on the Panasonic's isn't as bad as most (perhaps all) other manufacturer's equivalent but they can look sooo much better :)

Ha ha and mark you still got the set do a day time calibrate and comments pls ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom