Panasonic TX-P50UT50B - HDMI outputs dead?

DVDfever

Novice Member
The Panasonic TX-P50UT50B has two HDMI ports, HDMI1 and HDMI2, and while they were working fine earlier on Weds, and ever since I bought it in October 2012, from later in the day and since, I just get a black screen.

My amp, a Yamaha RVX581, connects up to the HDMI1 port normally, but while I still get sound (because it's from the amp), the picture is black and no sound comes through the TV, as it would do normally.

I tried changing the HDMI cable but no. I also tried moving the HDMI output from the amp to the smaller TV (a 32" Panasonic) in the same room, and I can get the amp on there, so the main Panasonic TV is clearly the problem.

I have tried switching it off and unplugging it for 60 seconds, again but with pressing the TV's power button down for 30 seconds so as to dissipate any residual power, and also tried unplugging it for an hour, as well as another time trying to Factory Reset the TV, but no joy.

I know the TV is just over 8 years old, and I'd love a replacement, but I'd want it to be 3D, which is impossible these days, esp. in the UK.

Another option I'm looking at is a projector and screen, but that's pricey and isn't happening instantly, hence for the moment, anything outputted by the amp is going to a smaller 32" TV in the same room, which is rather a pain (still, how else do people manage with only one TV? ;) )

However, when I plugged in the PS5 and hooked it up via HDMI, the TV does still auto-switch to it, and comes up with "EC/HDMI" (whatever EC means), so it's like it's recognising something, but going no further.

One plus: the SCART still works as the laserdisc player is hooked up to that.

It has been recommended to me to buy a replacement main board, which I saw on Ebay for about £50, but since I can just about put up bookcases, if I did replace something inside a TV, I'd either kill myself with an electric shock or set fire to the house ;)

All advice welcomed.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
“EC” means “External Connection” and is just Panasonic's term for an AV input.
Go into the TV’s setup menu and check Viera link is set to “on” on whatever HDMI input you're trying and also check what “HDMI Content Detection” is set to, try toggling it between On and Auto.

DVDfever

Novice Member
“EC” means “External Connection” and is just Panasonic's term for an AV input.
Go into the TV’s setup menu and check Viera link is set to “on” on whatever HDMI input you're trying and also check what “HDMI Content Detection” is set to, try toggling it between On and Auto.
Thanks. Viera Link is on, and HDMI Content Detection only has Off and Auto. So, with On and Auto, respectively, I connected up the already-on PS5 and it jumped to HDMI1, but still with a black screen. If it still jumps to the HDMI port, why is the screen blank? :(

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Do you have anything else you can plug into the HDMI inputs to test?, Bluray, PVR, Sky, Virgin Media box, Firestick etc?
If no video from any of these it does look as though the HDMI inputs are goosed and you then have to decide whether to spend that £50 on a replacement board...and decide on who you can get to fit it.

DVDfever

Novice Member
Do you have anything else you can plug into the HDMI inputs to test?, Bluray, PVR, Sky, Virgin Media box, Firestick etc?
If no video from any of these it does look as though the HDMI inputs are goosed and you then have to decide whether to spend that £50 on a replacement board...and decide on who you can get to fit it.
I also had an amp (PS5, PC and a digibox going through that, generally) and a Chromecast, and trying both HDMI ports, but it's black all round :(

What could've made it just go like that, though? I was hoping it had just flipped out for a moment and then a quick off/on would restore it.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
What could've made it just go like that, though? I was hoping it had just flipped out for a moment and then a quick off/on would restore it.
Why did the chicken cross the road, who knows, things do just break down.
There can be many causes, a mains power surge, nearby thunderstorms, or just a component breakdown.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom