Panasonic TX-P46VT20B Owner Impressions

sam1289

Established Member
Reaction score
After carefully deciding between many 3D TV's i.e Samsung, Lg and Sony I decided to go with Panasonic's award winning 3D TV and have to say picture quality in 2D and 3D is excellent.

Clear bright picture, deep black levels, very easy to set up, hardly any crosstalk when viewing 3D and image retention is minimal.

It does not require break in period and no motion issues seen in 2D. The IFC option works very well too and removes any visible judder effectively.

The 3D glasses tend to feel uncomfortable after a while so I suggest to get the new 3D glasses if you want to watch 3D movies or play 3D games for long periods.

2D -3D conversion is not very effective, only works well with computer animated movies.

Gaming is excellent, input lag is very low.

Supports all video formats to watch straight off your usb, even mkv files.

Build quality is top notch, very strong and looks very elegant.

Apart from the gimmicky 2D-3D conversion and poor design of the supplied 3D glasses, I would highly recommend this set to anyone looking to purchase a 3D TV soon. :thumbsup:

I have the same set and crosstalk in mine is pretty visible especially in games. Use it a bit more and you are sure to find the crosstalk issues that I am talking about.
Rest of the tv is simply superb. The black levels are awesome(at least for the moment) and the blu-ray and hd content rocks. Sd content sucks though and I have noticed some panning artifacting during horizontal panning even with IFC turned off.

Crosstalk varies in games, some have them and some don't. In Black Ops I did not see any crosstalk. However I did see slight crosstalk in Motorstorm Pacific Rift but overall it does not ruin the experience.

SD content looks fine to me, maybe my eyes are not sensitive to issues that other users have been reporting.

I have taken some new pics of the set and of the new 3D glasses, enjoy!

ImageShack Album - 11 images

I originally was going to buy either the Samsung 46'' LED or the LG 47'' LED was even toying with the Samsung 50'' Plasma. But after lots of research decided on this TV and am I glad I did. Wife wanted the LED as they look so s****y and thin...but got my way in the end.
Picture is as good as anything I have seen on any other TV that I had tested, but its the 3D that blows the competition out of the water...LG depth of field wasn't too great and cross talk very noticeable. Samsung had great depth but again cross talk let it down. But this Panny the cross talk is so sparse that its even hardly worth meantioning even on SBS 3D. 2D to 3D I find to be really good even on normal everyday TV. Just don't expect things to leap out of the screen at you...all 2D to 3D does is gives the picture a depth that normal 2D viewing can't offer.
I agree that COD Black ops looks amazing in 3D and I can't see any cross talk at all, just found the game harder at first...and thats not a good thing for me as I ain't that good in the first place! My PS3 gammer tag is Iron_hammer if anyone wants to add me.
Anyone thinking of buying a TV for 3D should look no further. 10 out of 10 in my book.
Cheers

Guys,

In terms of viewing experience for the 3D on this set, is 42" too small?

It's been reported everywhere that the experience is underwhelming. I reckon given the choice a bigger screen is better for the experience.

Do you find yourselves sitting closer to the telly?

My dilema is that a 50" maybe too large for my small living room and also for non 3d broadcasts - where filling your field of vision becomes less of an issue. The 50vt20 is a little more expensive for a tv that has similar 50hz faults to the 42gt20 and maybe a little too big for the living room.

I've currently a 37" which is fine for the room - 42" would be much better - 50 .. think it's a little too big...???

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Well, we have the Panasonic TX-P42GT20B - only because we couldn't fit anything bigger in the corner of the room due to an open fireplace one side and patio doors the other!

The set is fantastic and the 3D picture is great (only have Monster House, Ice Age 3 and Christmas Carol in 3D Blu-ray - so far!) Still get great depth of field, even though it's only 42".

I would have liked a bigger set but am really happy with this size - 2D picture is very, very good. :thumbsup:

Got 42gt20 today, currys deal with player and 2 x glasses new model.

Can't see the 50 hz problems so far on my dm800, changed to 60 hz working fine for footie.

Works well on other European broadcasts, will wait and see if they crop up over the next few weeks.

I'm still testing, I can't see any of the reported issues so far, it might be down to personal preferences though. I've 2 x panny sets, the black level is much improved. I was concerned about the possible issues, happy thus far.

It important to demo the sets prior to purchase, various sources.

Picked up a shiny shiny P46VT20 yesterday.

Initial impressions are positive. Watched a bit of Hayy Potter via V+ yesterday and quickly realised that the IFC functions make movies look very odd ! THX picture mode seems to solve that problem. Noticed a couple of other picture processing quirks too, but was in "normal" mode so maybe some other settings need adjustment.

Still need to get to grips with how best to set this thing up. Anyone got any baseline settings ?

Only issue I've got with it is a slightly noisy fan so I need to speak to the shop to sort that out.

Where did you pick up yours from?

rgbdirect.co.uk but looks like John Lewis have the best online deal at the moment.

The problem with the independants is you have to visit the store to get the 5 year Panasonic warranty and their in-store prices are higher. JL of course give you the 5 years anyway.

rgbdirect.co.uk but looks like John Lewis have the best online deal at the moment.

The problem with the independants is you have to visit the store to get the 5 year Panasonic warranty and their in-store prices are higher. JL of course give you the 5 years anyway.

Sorry to be a bit nosey, but why the 46" over the 50"? Was it simply a size thing?

well i just demod the panasonic 50vt20 in three shops, panasonic dealer, currys and comet, while in comet got to take control of the remote and play around with the freeview and watch bbc hd, itv and a chanel which was showing top gear on and have to say picture looked excellent to me, never noticed any juddering and to me considering it was shop settings and currys and comet wont have adjusted the picture settings it looked a lot beter picture than the samsung 50c6900 and then sony 46hx803 ive had

The difference however is that the cover with the Panasonic guarantee is for the full purchase price for the full 5 years whereas the cover with John Lewis' guarantee reduces by 20% each year that you have the tv.

Sorry to be a bit nosey, but why the 46" over the 50"? Was it simply a size thing?

Yes.

I've spent a few days with it now and generally happy. It does produce some stunning pictures when fed with a decent input, especially in THX mode. Normal mode just looks too dull...

On the slight downside there are some strange motion artefacts and solarisation issues particularly on low bit rate SD content.

Yes.

I've spent a few days with it now and generally happy. It does produce some stunning pictures when fed with a decent input, especially in THX mode. Normal mode just looks too dull...

On the slight downside there are some strange motion artefacts and solarisation issues particularly on low bit rate SD content.

Glad to hear that you are generally happy. I want a 50" and am waiting for the sales.

It's a bit of an own goal really that the optical out on these screens does not pass through Dolby signals from the HDMI inputs. Maybe Panasonic own the plant making optical cables ! lol

I'm looking at the 46" now too but only because of the extra features that were added to them over the 50".
Whats the 2D to 3D conversion like? A friend has the Samsung 50PSC7000 and says the conversion is actually pretty good so i'm wondering what peoples opinions are of the Pannys conversion.

If anyone is interested in this, I saw that very.co.uk have this for just over £1400..
Pretty good deal IMO, esp as most other places seem to do it for £1600! :smashin:

2D-3D is going to be subjective really, depending on the content and the viewer.

It might work well enough for an animated movie maybe. But not well enough for normal stuff IMO. It does not handle dark scenes well. It needs something to be well lit with clear definition of foreground objects/people and background.

Sometimes it gets it right and other times it just doesn't... I think I'd end up with a headache after 10 mins.

I agree 2d-3d is not great, I think the 50" has a better 3d effect with the larger screen for Pure 3d content over a 46".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom