Panasonic TX-P46G15 Plasma TV - Wow!!!!!!!!

carol_s

Established Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of my Panasonic TX-P46G15 today, a day later than it should have been delivered - but that's a different story, and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an incredible picture. I had been getting a trifle worried by other folk who were posting saying they were mildly disappointed with the G10's after coming from LCD TV's and reporting soft images. My previous TV was a Toshiba Regza 42x3030 and I had thought the PQ was excellent from that model, but the G15 just blows it out of the water. The colours etc out of the box are truly excellent and life like.

My one disappointment was on unpacking and trying to locate 4 bolts for fixing to my existing wall bracket, finding that Panasonic didn't supply these. What total dolts!!! You spend £900+ on a TV and they don't supply 4 bolts - the manual doesn't even tell you what size they are. I went to my local Curry's (I bought online from Curry's) and asked their sales people - and they had no idea either. However their NeoDPD's on display had large cardboard advertisments attached to each set using nylon bolts screwed into the fixing locations and after a bit of persuasion, the sales manager took one out and gave it to me so that I could go and try and find the right sized bolts - B&Q didn't have any, but I was in luck as Focus did have some of the right length and thread size (M8 length 35mm just in case anybody else runs into this problem). It took around 2 hours after getting back home to get everything connected up (TV, new Panasonic DMP-BD60 and old Toshiba HD-DVD player, network pass throughs, BSkyB HD box, Sony 5.1 amp etc).

Other than the 4 fixing bolts, I really am extremely pleased with this telly - I just hope that initial WOW factor takes a long, long time to wear off :D:thumbsup::):clap:

The different size bolts usually come with the wall mount. I have just purchased two different mounts and each one came with a large assortment of different size and length bolts and spacers.

Perhaps you had spares with your mount when you first got it if it was a universal one.

Graham

The fixings are 8mm, screw length will vary to allow for bracket thickness but approx 40mm will be in the ball park.

Perhaps you had spares with your mount when you first got it if it was a universal one.

Graham

I don't remember it coming with an assortment of different size bolts and I had a good look in my 'spares' containers - but it was a fairly cheap one I bought off ebay (around £45 if I remember correctly). Still it's done now, but thought it worth mentioning (M8 x 35mm or 40mm) if it helps others avoid the frustration caused by Panasonic not including 4 of these in the packaging.

Still can't believe the PQ which I am seeing, even some of the SD channels on Sky look amazingly good.

I don't remember it coming with an assortment of different size bolts and I had a good look in my 'spares' containers - but it was a fairly cheap one I bought off ebay (around £45 if I remember correctly). Still it's done now, but thought it worth mentioning (M8 x 35mm or 40mm) if it helps others avoid the frustration caused by Panasonic not including 4 of these in the packaging.

Still can't believe the PQ which I am seeing, even some of the SD channels on Sky look amazingly good.

None of the mainstream manufacturers include wall-mount bolts. For starters, the bolt length varies depending on which wall mount you are using.

I took delivery of my Panasonic TX-P46G15 today, a day later than it should have been delivered - but that's a different story, and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an incredible picture. I had been getting a trifle worried by other folk who were posting saying they were mildly disappointed with the G10's after coming from LCD TV's and reporting soft images. My previous TV was a Toshiba Regza 42x3030 and I had thought the PQ was excellent from that model, but the G15 just blows it out of the water. The colours etc out of the box are truly excellent and life like.

My one disappointment was on unpacking and trying to locate 4 bolts for fixing to my existing wall bracket, finding that Panasonic didn't supply these. What total dolts!!! You spend £900+ on a TV and they don't supply 4 bolts - the manual doesn't even tell you what size they are. I went to my local Curry's (I bought online from Curry's) and asked their sales people - and they had no idea either. However their NeoDPD's on display had large cardboard advertisments attached to each set using nylon bolts screwed into the fixing locations and after a bit of persuasion, the sales manager took one out and gave it to me so that I could go and try and find the right sized bolts - B&Q didn't have any, but I was in luck as Focus did have some of the right length and thread size (M8 length 35mm just in case anybody else runs into this problem). It took around 2 hours after getting back home to get everything connected up (TV, new Panasonic DMP-BD60 and old Toshiba HD-DVD player, network pass throughs, BSkyB HD box, Sony 5.1 amp etc).

Other than the 4 fixing bolts, I really am extremely pleased with this telly - I just hope that initial WOW factor takes a long, long time to wear off :D:thumbsup::):clap:

I am so glad you are pleased with it:smashin:,i got the 42" G10 but now wish i had waited for a deal on a 46" :rotfl:.

You say SOME are amazing but what about the rest of the SD. I keep hearing that these new panels are great, brilliant and even amazing for HD but that SD can be unwatchable and since 90% of my viewing is SD it is the area I am most interested in.

You say SOME are amazing but what about the rest of the SD. I keep hearing that these new panels are great, brilliant and even amazing for HD but that SD can be unwatchable and since 90% of my viewing is SD it is the area I am most interested in.

The SD PQ is as good as can be expected & are bitrate dependant, if a channel is put out at a low bitrate then the PQ will suffer, if the TV is fed via a higher bitrate source the PQ improves :)

If 90% of what you view is SD then you would perhaps be better off buying an X10 as 720P will be better for SD & will still perform well for BD use etc.

Unwatchable:nono: a few poeple on here have problems with the SD but they are an extreme minority.

The SD is broadcast dependant so poor braodcast poor picture good broadcast good picture,:smashin: simple as that just some people can't quite grasp that.:)

No problems at all 89 67.42%
Problem 32 24.24%
Problem AND Replacement (same make / model) 6 4.55%
Problem AND Replacement (different make / model) 5 3.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132.

Of these constantly reporting a problem with SD,4 i think.

Last edited:
None of the mainstream manufacturers include wall-mount bolts. For starters, the bolt length varies depending on which wall mount you are using.

No, you have the wrong end of the stick - these are not the wall bolts, these are the bolts which go into the back of the TV and as such are are standard length and thread size.

No, you have the wrong end of the stick - these are not the wall bolts, these are the bolts which go into the back of the TV and as such are are standard length and thread size.

None of the TV manufacturers to my knowledge provide Vesa fixing bolts, they always come with the brackets :) they are not a standard length as such as you use spacers between the bolts according to ythe bracket purchased & what distance you require from the wall etc. an excellent bracket I recently bought came complete with numerous sized bolts both in terms of thread & length, a selection of spaces & wall fixing bolts all included.
I agree however it would be useful if the size was mentioned in the manual :)

SD is fine on the G10 overall, I was very worried but I have watched quite a bit of SD and while reviews seem to focus on the soft SD I have found with sharpness up a little the picture is perfectly fine and it depends a lot on the source.

Perhaps you have the wrong end of the stick - think about how the bracket thickness (or lack of) would cause the screw (its not a bolt) to bottom out before its tight and damage the plasma. :)

Not a problem with the bracket I have Lynx - the part of the bracket through which the bolt passes before it enters the back of the television is around 2 to 3mm at most - so I bought bolts which were shorter than the maximum recommended length :). Probably this varies though depending on the bracket - at least they gave a diagram showing what was the maximum depth of the bolt after it had passed through the bracket.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom