Panasonic TX-P42X10 and TX-P37X10 owners thread! Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha. Can imagine your reaction.:rotfl:

It's a pity that it makes it so dark as would be very handy. Better practice my reflexes!:rolleyes:

Its not normally that dramatic just caught me out the first time it depends how dark you let your room get before you light the candle :) Of course I use the Streetlight but there was a big Lorry outside that night:D

Hmmm... got my 37X10 and am, overall, delighted. However, I noticed something last night that worried me...

While watching The Apprentice: You're Fired on SKY+ (recorded from BBC 2 earlier) I noticed a very subtle but noticeable 'vertical bar' occasionally glide ever-so-slowly from left to right.

It was only noticeable during the studio bits with the panellists, against the rich blue background of the set.

It's hard to describe what it looked like - almost like a 'ripple' in the image/colour slowly travelling across the screen.

This is the first time I've noticed it, but of course I'm now on high alert looking for it elsewhere (not that I've seen it).

Anyone got any idea what this is? Is it the signal or the screen? Or a bit of both?

If I'd have been sensible, I'd have paused the playback and seen if the effect stopped or kept moving, so I could work out whether it's in the signal or the screen. But I wasn't, and I deleted the recording before I had that idea... could always try it next week, though.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Dave

This is due to 'crosstalk' within the scart cable. Panasonic tv's output a picture from the scart inputs and your cable does not have sufficient internal shielding to prevent the output from the tv interfering with the input from the Sky box. A better, well-shielded cable should solve your problem.

I suspect the 18 watt figure to be inaccurate, but I am convinced it is consuming something when switched off . . other wise the TV would (with my limited knowledge of alternating current and switches) give the same signal back to the meter as a table lamp . . . thus 0 watts.

I will keep you posted on Panasonics response and my own findings.

Interesting results. Not sure I can explain why you are getting the readings you are, especially considering the power switch on Panasonic tv's is a mechanical switch which isolates the tv from the mains supply.

Agreed and the way they worded it implies that as does a few other misnomers :)

Traditionally (and to my knowledge, currently) there are 2 overscan 'memories' regardless of input, 1 for SD and 1 for HD. You will find this stated in your tv manuals also. But I am now curious and will confirm tomorrow.

Its not normally that dramatic just caught me out the first time it depends how dark you let your room get before you light the candle :) Of course I use the Streetlight but there was a big Lorry outside that night:D

Ah I see.lol

Hmmm... got my 37X10 and am, overall, delighted. However, I noticed something last night that worried me...

While watching The Apprentice: You're Fired on SKY+ (recorded from BBC 2 earlier) I noticed a very subtle but noticeable 'vertical bar' occasionally glide ever-so-slowly from left to right.

It was only noticeable during the studio bits with the panellists, against the rich blue background of the set.

It's hard to describe what it looked like - almost like a 'ripple' in the image/colour slowly travelling across the screen.

This is the first time I've noticed it, but of course I'm now on high alert looking for it elsewhere (not that I've seen it).

Anyone got any idea what this is? Is it the signal or the screen? Or a bit of both?

If I'd have been sensible, I'd have paused the playback and seen if the effect stopped or kept moving, so I could work out whether it's in the signal or the screen. But I wasn't, and I deleted the recording before I had that idea... could always try it next week, though.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Dave

Before you go down the scart being at fault check what you have the Av1 /AV2 output selected to output also dabble with the Q link setting

Evening all.After discovering i havnt completely broken my P37X10 i phoned my friend re.xbox connections.He told me to just unplug from the scart and use individual composites for HD..well what a picture it is,well chuffed.

One thing,i have all sound going through my home cinema,but when using the composites i can only get it through the telly,with whatevers on tv still coming through my speakers on the home cinema.

Without using any extra cables should i be able to run the xbox sound through my speakers?when using the scart for SD picture obviously i select AV1 and all the sound comes through fine

Whats the simplest way without using extra cables,if there is one?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all.After discovering i havnt completely broken my P37X10 i phoned my friend re.xbox connections.He told me to just unplug from the scart and use individual composites for HD..well what a picture it is,well chuffed.

One thing,i have all sound going through my home cinema,but when using the composites i can only get it through the telly,with whatevers on tv still coming through my speakers on the home cinema.

Without using any extra cables should i be able to run the xbox sound through my speakers?when using the scart for SD picture obviously i select AV1 and all the sound comes through fine

Cheers

Dont know about xboxes but with my all in one surround
I have the av1 set to monitor then it feeds whatever audio is actually on screen

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know about xboxes but with my all in one surround
I have the av1 set to monitor then it feeds whatever audio is actually on screen
Ah ce..i think my sony is an input system not output so i dont have that option..thanks anyway

Cheers
You say you have all the sound going through the home cinema system - how is the TV connected to it? I agree with Jaymac there should be a way of outputting the audio from whatever the TV is showing. I'm not sure I understand your comment about Sony (is that your home cinema amp?). You need to configure your TV so that the audio inputs associated with the component video inputs are ouputted via whatever cable connects your TV to your amp.

[edit] I've just checked the manual and you can't output the component video via scart (which is obvious) but this may mean you can't output the audio this way either. There are a pair of audio ouputs on the back on the TV through which you could connect to your AV amp with extension cables - these should output the component audio.

Alternatively along with the separate R,G & B phono plugs (which are component rather than composite) outputs from your XBox there should also be two phonos for right and left audio. It would be simple enough to get an extension cable to run these to an input on the amp for your surround sound system rather than connecting them to your TV.

Last edited:

Cheers

To start with what Xbox do you have, because this makes a big difference how you wire/set it all up?

Either way forget SCART, the Xbox (I am presuming it’s a 360) is digital so SCART is as useful as a chocolate fire guard; you need either HDMI if it’s a newer model or component if not (Red, Green, Blue) or VGA.

With a component lead plug the Red, Green, Blue into the relevant ports on the TV, DO NOT plug the Yellow lead in. Plug the Red and White Phone into the TV for stereo sound. You then need to purchase a TOSH (optical lead), this plugs into the main part of the component lead then into your AV surround sound so as to give you true 5.1

I have a 50” Panasonic x10 with Sky+ HD, Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 all wired in running fine. The sound is either through the TV’s speakers or my 7.1 AV amp. Not hard at all to set up; and guess what, not a SCART lead in sight.

COMPONENT

Or

VGA (this is the best one bar HDMI)

If you have the old Xbox, then sorry I will get my coat.. :rotfl: But realy if you still have the old Xbox it needs to go the same place as the old CRT, and get yourself a new one. :smashin:

Last edited:
To start with what Xbox do you have, because this makes a big difference how you wire/set it all up?

Either way forget SCART, the Xbox (I am presuming it’s a 360) is digital so SCART is as useful as a chocolate fire guard; you need either HDMI if it’s a newer model or component if not (Red, Green, Blue) or VGA.

With a component lead plug the Red, Green, Blue into the relevant ports on the TV, DO NOT plug the Yellow lead in. Plug the Red and White Phone into the TV for stereo sound. You then need to purchase a TOSH (optical lead), this plugs into the main part of the component lead then into your AV surround sound so as to give you true 5.1

I have a 50” Panasonic x10 with Sky+ HD, Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 all wired in running fine. The sound is either through the TV’s speakers or my 7.1 AV amp. Not hard at all to set up; and guess what, not a SCART lead in sight.

COMPONENT

Or

VGA (this is the best one bar HDMI)

If you have the old Xbox, then sorry I will get my coat.. :rotfl: But realy if you still have the old Xbox it needs to go the same place as the old CRT, and get yourself a new one. :smashin:

Of course (slaps head) I forgot the TOSlink socket in the plug doh! Definitely best solution for audio.

Interesting suggestion re VGA output - is this better quality than than the component output? (Apologies for going off subject but I'm curious).

VGA.

)
:

Whilst in your case The scart may be useless but Some of us have a wee bit more connected than an xbox and skybox I have aset top freeview box /dvd player/dvd recorder.PVR box and Sky+hd all bar sky with scart. Now the ability to listen to any of these by just selecting tv on my Amp is most convenient .Yes I also have digital connections when there is a dolby or dts material available ,But in my case with the exception of commercial dvd's there is,nt .Oh forgot sky put it out sometimes :eek: though as yet the jury is still out on whether its as good as my amp processing the Stereo signal with dolby prologic 2. So I would'nt scorn a facility just because you choose not to use it.

Of course (slaps head) I forgot the TOSlink socket in the plug doh! Definitely best solution for audio.

Interesting suggestion re VGA output - is this better quality than than the component output? (Apologies for going off subject but I'm curious).

VGA can in most cases give you a better picture but remember for VGA, 720p is the resolution of 1280x720 and 1080p is 1920x1080. All signals via VGA are progressive; it is not possible to do interlace with this cable.
So no 1080i up scaling.

Whilst in your case The scart may be useless but Some of us have a wee bit more connected than an xbox and skybox I have aset top freeview box /dvd player/dvd recorder.PVR box and Sky+hd all bar sky with scart. Now the ability to listen to any of these by just selecting tv on my Amp is most convenient .Yes I also have digital connections when there is a dolby or dts material available ,But in my case with the exception of commercial dvd's there is,nt .Oh forgot sky put it out sometimes :eek: though as yet the jury is still out on whether its as good as my amp processing the Stereo signal with dolby prologic 2. So I would'nt scorn a facility just because you choose not to use it.

Sorry but please tell; why have you got so much stuff connected in when all you're doing is doubling up on feeds?

Free view set top box when the screen has a very good built in one.
You don't need either of the above if you say that a Sky+ HD box is connected.

DVD player when you have a DVD recorder that plays as well.
Again why the DVD recorder if you have Sky+ HD (unless you copy programs to take else ware)

In my case (living room) I have the Sky+ HD box via HDMI optical out to my 7.1 amp for digital sound HDMI gives TV is sound feed.
PS3 for Blue Ray and DVD up scaling again via HDMI, optical out to amp for digital sound, HDMI for sound on the TV.

Xbox 360 for games, DVD (use the PS3 for them) and HDDVD connected to TV via HDMI, optical out to amp for digital sound, HDMI gives sound to the TV.
In the bedroom it's the same bar Xbox 360 and it only a 5.1 AV amp in there.

Not a SCART in sight due to using only digital feeds. May be if you dump the set top box and DVD recorder, change the DVD player for a modestly priced DVD player with up scaling capabilities (HDMI) you will get a better viewing with far less clutter.

Panasonic are great vied with a good signal feed.

K.I.S.S. is always the best stance to take. :smashin:

Hi all,

So i've got a 42" X10 sitting waiting to be unboxed and set up. Can people suggest the best way to run the set in - what not to do and suggest alternatives to my planned set-up (that doesn't mean 'scrap' and buy something new.)

X10 ---> Scart ---> SKY ---> Scart ----> VCR
X10 ----> Component ---> Wii

I have an Xbox 360 and have a choice of VGA or HDMI. A friend of mine has said he uses VGA as it shows the blacks better on his TV (not an X10) has anyone compared the two on this TV?

I also have a Sony DAVDZ260 (DVD Player/Built In home cinema thing) which has HDMI - currently it is connected via Scart and sound travels from the TV to the system, which is quiet useful. Should I connect the HDMI cable? Will that make the picture worse? I imagine sound should work too...

Should I avoid the xbox? If so, how long for? Anything else to avoid? Brightness settings etc.
If i decide to play xbox, how long for to start with?

Thanks in advance...

I suspect the 18 watt figure to be inaccurate, but I am convinced it is consuming something when switched off . . other wise the TV would (with my limited knowledge of alternating current and switches) give the same signal back to the meter as a table lamp . . . thus 0 watts.

I will keep you posted on Panasonics response and my own findings.

Have found some interesting answers, including an explanation of what monitor mode means in the Panasonic manual, which if used means standby consumption of 15w, instead of 0.7w.

Within Panasonic TV, the freeview tuner will consume extra power initially when in standby mode, for updates etc. This can be impacted by signal strength . . . due to fact we have poor freeview signal (but only if a Humax 9200PVR is wired in sequence before TV, and Humax is not put to standby, then the Panasonic gets a poor freeview signal - the humax as first in chain always gets a good signal), standby power will likely be well above the 0.7w figure for longer than usual. Am checking if Panasonic freeview tuner can be turned off for updates etc, to get figure down to 0.7w.

When turned off by switch, it seems likely capacitors, the switchmode, resistance, phasing and a whole heap of complicated electrical things result in the false power off energy reading.

Panasonic px70 series plasma power consumption concerns - Home Entertainment Technology - Digital Spy Forums - last post is a JL technician doing site visit to investigate similar power consumption concerns.

Energy Meters reviewed by FrequencyCast - see comments at end of review by David Powell.

Last edited:
Cheers planetse jaymac and pete.tv connect to cinema via scart.when i had xbox on scart it just transfered the sound as i selected av1,naturally.

so what your saying is the component cabel set up is on a seperate loop and cannot output the sound through the connected scart to the hcinema?

unfortunately hcinema does not have optic socket.

obviously i can use aux red and white to jack and connect to the front of my hcinema using the audio in,but it looks a lash-up!

if i get a proper hdmi lead will i have the same problem as component?

the settings on audio seem quite limited to say the least which is dissappointing.

cheers

I suspect the eco mode has less dramatic variation (comparing viewing in daylight, to viewing at nightime) in the cinema mode than in the dynamic mode.

Anyone else found or suspects the same?

Hence why I'm using cinema mode (own adjusted settings) with eco mode turned on for most viewing. I first turn eco mode on, then adjust picture to suit (starting in daylight or nighttime) then under the alternative viewing conditions (night or day) I tweak, to end up with most pleasing balance between the two. For us it's a better result than swtiching between custom versions of Normal and Cinema (without eco mode) - better meaning more infinite finer adustment through a range of viewing conditions (lighting) rather than A or B option, and it's more user friendly for the average viewer/watcher that doesn't give a meerkat about the different modes ;)

Last edited:
Hi all,

So i've got a 42" X10 sitting waiting to be unboxed and set up. Can people suggest the best way to run the set in - what not to do and suggest alternatives to my planned set-up (that doesn't mean 'scrap' and buy something new.)

X10 ---> Scart ---> SKY ---> Scart ----> VCR
X10 ----> Component ---> Wii

I have an Xbox 360 and have a choice of VGA or HDMI. A friend of mine has said he uses VGA as it shows the blacks better on his TV (not an X10) has anyone compared the two on this TV?

I also have a Sony DAVDZ260 (DVD Player/Built In home cinema thing) which has HDMI - currently it is connected via Scart and sound travels from the TV to the system, which is quiet useful. Should I connect the HDMI cable? Will that make the picture worse? I imagine sound should work too...

Should I avoid the xbox? If so, how long for? Anything else to avoid? Brightness settings etc.
If i decide to play xbox, how long for to start with?

Thanks in advance...

Also, I'm looking to get a new stand soon. Do I have to go for a 42" one - or would is it just Weight i have to consider?

Sorry but please tell; why have you got so much stuff connected in when all you’re doing is doubling up on feeds?

Free view set top box when the screen has a very good built in one.
You don’t need either of the above if you say that a Sky+ HD box is connected.

DVD player when you have a DVD recorder that plays as well.
Again why the DVD recorder if you have Sky+ HD (unless you copy programs to take else ware)

In my case (living room) I have the Sky+ HD box via HDMI optical out to my 7.1 amp for digital sound HDMI gives TV is sound feed.
PS3 for Blue Ray and DVD up scaling again via HDMI, optical out to amp for digital sound, HDMI for sound on the TV.

Xbox 360 for games, DVD (use the PS3 for them) and HDDVD connected to TV via HDMI, optical out to amp for digital sound, HDMI gives sound to the TV.
In the bedroom it’s the same bar Xbox 360 and it only a 5.1 AV amp in there.

Not a SCART in sight due to using only digital feeds. May be if you dump the set top box and DVD recorder, change the DVD player for a modestly priced DVD player with up scaling capabilities (HDMI) you will get a better viewing with far less clutter.

Panasonic are great vied with a good signal feed.

K.I.S.S. is always the best stance to take. :smashin:

Horses for courses what I choose to have is my choice and I'm quite aware of what I could do but continuing discussing that and reasons for is totally off topic.My post was merely disagreeing with Scart and the choice of outputs being of no use

Have found some interesting answers [...]
Thanks for that. I don't claim to understand all the detail, but the bottom line seems to be that the spuriously high consumption figures readings we're seeing are indeed artefacts (as I think we both suspected), and that the TVs probably are indeed consuming negligible amounts of power in Standby and nothing when off. That's very reassuring :)

This is due to 'crosstalk' within the scart cable. Panasonic tv's output a picture from the scart inputs and your cable does not have sufficient internal shielding to prevent the output from the tv interfering with the input from the Sky box. A better, well-shielded cable should solve your problem.

Only just saw this today, so sorry for the slow response. I think you may well be right... my wife was watching QVC on the internal TV before I got home, and when I got home I turned on SKY and could see very faint lettering and an '0800' number slowly drift across the screen.

At first I feared burn-in but then realised that wouldn't move. Sure enough, changing the internal TV to a different channel removed the problem (or at least reduced it to a point I couldn't see it).

Thanks so much for this - let's hope a new cable does the trick. The ones I've got are quite old... Anyone got any good recommendations for a SCART lead that's not guffola (and doesn't cost the Earth - I must've spent over £150 on new HDMI, optical, console cables in the last couple of weeks!!!).

Thanks,
Dave

EDIT: How about this one - too crappy? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...Flat-Scart-to-Scart-A-V-1M-Cable/Product.html

Last edited:
Philex Thor is a good scart lead at reasonable cost, a What Hi-Fi winner a few years back,
also QED do a good one at about £30-40.
Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom