Panasonic TX-P42VT30B - Glasses Calibration?

Craig420

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I figured this forum would be the best place to go for advice on this, I had a look around but couldn't find anything specific.
Today I received my first 3DTV, a 42 Inch Panasonic Plasma with two pairs of Active Glasses, which I decided to buy after much research.
My research concluded that an Active 3D Plasma would be the option for me;
Active 3D for the best experience and Plasma to get nice colors and reduced Ghosting. Only problem however is that there is a significant amount of Ghosting on the 3D media I have tried this far (Uncharted 3 for PS3 and Wipeout).
I would go so far as to say that it is enough to put me off using 3D mode! It is as though the glasses are not filtering out the images properly for each eye and there is some overlapping. Every outline in a 3D image as a greenish shadow around, I am sorry I cant describe this better.
I believe this issue is typical Ghosting but I was led to believe that it would not be an issue with this TV.
So I am posting to ask if there is some way to calibrate the glasses with the TV? Any sort of configuration I could change to set this up.
Note:- My viewing distance is about 7 Foot from the screen, I tried many different positions (closer and further) which makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Craig

Hey All,
I figured this forum would be the best place to go for advice on this, I had a look around but couldn't find anything specific.
Today I received my first 3DTV, a 42 Inch Panasonic Plasma with two pairs of Active Glasses, which I decided to buy after much research.
My research concluded that an Active 3D Plasma would be the option for me;
Active 3D for the best experience and Plasma to get nice colors and reduced Ghosting. Only problem however is that there is a significant amount of Ghosting on the 3D media I have tried this far (Uncharted 3 for PS3 and Wipeout).
I would go so far as to say that it is enough to put me off using 3D mode! It is as though the glasses are not filtering out the images properly for each eye and there is some overlapping. Every outline in a 3D image as a greenish shadow around, I am sorry I cant describe this better.
I believe this issue is typical Ghosting but I was led to believe that it would not be an issue with this TV.
So I am posting to ask if there is some way to calibrate the glasses with the TV? Any sort of configuration I could change to set this up.
Note:- My viewing distance is about 7 Foot from the screen, I tried many different positions (closer and further) which makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Craig
I think (and I maybe wrong) that there is an option in the tv menu to adjust 3d seating position, you move the slider until the image lines up.
I have Wipeout 3D and will try it later on my Samsung to see if its just the game.
Have you tried any 3D movies? The issue maybe game related.

Insanity202,
Thanks for your reply. I tried a 3D Movie as you suggested and it seemed to be okay, then I tried Uncharted 3 again and it too was fine!
The only thing I can imagine that has happened here is that after I got the TV yesterday morning, having tried it and noticed all this horrible ghosting, I put the glasses on charge while I was at work. Before this they had only been charged for a few minutes (which I thought would be enough to have a quick test of the 3D).
I assumed that the glasses would either be on or off, either charged or empty but maybe they weaken as the battery drops, hence why yesterday after only a few minutes charge (first charge ever) they were not filtering each image properly.
Beats me, thank you for your reply as I would have spent x many hours more searching the internet/manuals before trying a movie.:facepalm:
-Craig

Craig,

I have the Panasonic 42UT30 which is a different model to yours but has the same issue with Uncharted 3. I just think its the game to be honest as other 3D seems to work ok. I had a conversation on here with another couple of user and we agreed that the 3D material and quality of it varies wildly as its still in its infancy.

Ambient Light also has a major effect on 3D. Any reflections or light will alter your perception of the 3d material.

Craig,
I have the Panasonic 42UT30 which is a different model to yours but has the same issue with Uncharted 3. I just think its the game to be honest as other 3D seems to work ok. I had a conversation on here with another couple of user and we agreed that the 3D material and quality of it varies wildly as its still in its infancy.
Thanks for your reply. After having had the TV for a while and tried out 2 3D games only (I also got Mortal Combat but iv not tried it yet, wouldn't expect it to be fantastic).
I would definitely say that the Game does make a difference, I was playing Motorstorm and it look almost perfect, very little ghosting at all and pretty good 'pop-out'.
To be honest, I expected the 3D to be *perfect* but apparently this is not the case.
Uncharted 3 does still look amazing, especially when you get really focused but the green tinted ghosting can make the game look really bad and hard to play.
As you say, the technology is in its infancy, but do you think it is the media/games which are holding back the technology, or will I need to buy a new 3d TV next year because the next gen are far superior?
Could you recommend any 3d blu-ray movies/game/ or even some sort of demo disk, so I could buy just to really see what the 3D can do? (I am yet to see anythink popping out infront of my face yet like at the cinema :p)

Ambient Light also has a major effect on 3D. Any reflections or light will alter your perception of the 3d material.

So am I best to watch the TV in a totally dark room, or with a bedside lamp/main light on? I read that viewing distance is crucial too, but to be honest I haven't found much difference when looking from different angles.

Thanks for all your help!
-Craig

Last edited:
The problem is what works with one person doesn't with someone else, i had bad crosstalk in Resistance 3 (very bad in dark scenes) but changing the size of my tv from 42" to 294" in the PS3 display settings gave me pretty much perfect 3D. I do wonder why Panasonic doesn't have a distance from TV setting under 3D options as that would make things alot easier to fix (have a GT20 so don't know if they added this after).

Craig,

I haven't played a massive amount of PS3 games in 3d but Super Starsust was quite impressive. If you have an xbox then gears 3 works well gives good depth to it. The best 3d I have seen is avatar on sky.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom