• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic TX-P42VT30 used as a computer monitor - suggestions please?

Bubblefish777

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm building my new study and I have a desk in front of a wall that I was going to mount a Panasonic TX-P42VT30 hook that up to my PC, PS3 and Sky box via HDMI.

However a friend of mine said that he thought the system would be terrible as the graphics for doing word processing, powerpoint, web browsing etc. would be awful. Can someone deny or confirm that I'm going to need a monitor as well ? I had this great idea I could serve all my needs by going for this TV. The PC was going to be a Dell via a DVI to HDMI converter and the same with my Mac Book air.

Please comment and offer suggestions please?:lease:

six-6

Established Member
I currently use a 42" LCD (1920 x 1080) which is attached to a PC. I find it perfectly useable to browse the web and do the odd bit of typing, although its primary function is media center. Computer monitors tend to go up in resolution as screen size increases and most monitors above 27" will have a resolution above 1920 x 1080 (most 27" monitors will also exceed it) so it is not going to be 'monitor sharp' for its size.

The biggest concern that I would have would be using a plasma as a computer monitor. Screen burn has become a bit of a non issue with plasma TVs with normal usage, but I am not sure I would want to use a plasma for hours a day as a PC monitor without a nagging feeling that it would be burning into the panel. The above really depends on usage, if you want to use it once in a blue moon or for short periods relative to overall usage, it should be fine.

I hope that helps.

Bubblefish777

Standard Member
Hi,
Thanks for the information.
The TV would be used occassionally. Maybe for some office work / letters at the weekend and maybe an hour or two at night. The rest of the time just for watching movies etc. (Not at my desk ... I have a Lazy Boy chair set back a ways. I think I need to perhaps take a laptop along to a local dealer and try firing it up on the screen and seeing what that looks like. Thanks for all the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom