Panasonic TX-P42S20B Recorder?

paultrell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all I am new here and I would be greatful for some advice.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-P42S20B which I am loving to bits!

I am after a way to record the freeview from the TV to HDD, I am presuming I will need to bu a DVD recorder with a built in HDD?

I do not however require the recorder to have freeview with it as I have that in the TV. I simply want to be able to set timers on my TV to record programmes and the recorder then turn on and record the programmes. A bonus would be able to record a programmer whilst watching another or watching a recording.

Please can anybody recommend a good recorder that is not going to break the bank?

You won't be able to buy a new DVD recorder without a Freeview tuner in it - no point, all broadcast terrestrial TV is going to be Freeview in the next couple of years. No TV, DVDR, VCR or PVR has been manufactured to be sold in this country without at least one form of digital broadcast TV tuner built into it in years.

You might be able to find a very old second-hand one on ebay which doesn't have a digital tuner in it - but it would be a very foolish decision to purchase one specifically because it doesn't have Freeview available on it.

Having only one Freeview tuner in your whole setup, the one in the TV means that (1) you can't watch one digital channel whilst recording another and (2) the TV will have to be switched on and tuned to the Freeview channel you want to record, whether you are home or not, and whether you want to watch something other than Freeview on the TV whilst the DVDR is recording. Buying a DVDR which comes with its own tuner means that the DVDR will look after itself, and you can use the TV tuner for what it is intended to be used for - viewing. And if you're not home when the DVDR is recording, you don't have to have your telly switched on.

Look at it this way - did you try to remove the analogue tuner from your first video recorder, simply because your TV had an analogue tuner built into it? Of course not - you used the analogue tuner in the video for recording from BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 or Five, whether your TV was switched on or not, and regardless of what you were watching on telly. The digital tuners in your TV and your DVDR work in exactly the same way.

Last edited:
interesting, I get what you mean.

Would something like the Panasonic DMR-EX79 be a good choice?

I think it is an old model which has been superseeded by the DMR-EX773.

I only choice panasonic so that I can use the Viera link to the TV

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom