• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PANASONIC TX-P42S11B - any issues? (any good?)

MJF1975

Standard Member
All

I'm on the verge of buying this for just under £800, but before I part with my well earned cash, I just want to know if anyone on here is aware of any issues with it?

Or is there a better set out there for my buck?

tvbox

Distinguished Member
There's no such thing as a Panasonic TX-P42S11B.

I think you mean S10:smashin:

What are you going to be watching?

tvbox

Distinguished Member
hmm....typo on the comet site?
Buy PANASONIC TX-P42S11B | 42" plasma tv - Televisions | Comet

As for what I'll be watching - mainly SD for the next 12 months (so yes I realise that 1080p is not necessary), but I expect to have Sky/Virgin V+ when I move from my current flat (they have a communal sky dish with the usual one input problem - such a pain).
I also have a PS3 so gaming and Blu Ray will be in use.
Yeah, the S10 is very good for that.
But the HD ready alternative is the X10 which is still good:thumbsup:
I'm sure it can be found cheaper.

Last edited:

MJF1975

Standard Member
Yeah, the S10 is very good for that.
But the HD ready alternative is the X10 which is still good:thumbsup:
I'm sure it can be found cheaper.

Thanks - I'll take a look at the X10 as well. That will actually allow me to buy some external speakers as well. Decisions, decisions. :smashin:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Thanks - I'll take a look at the X10 as well. That will actually allow me to buy some external speakers as well. Decisions, decisions. :smashin:
You won't be disappointed. It's good for SD- better than the S10's SD performance. You can get it for around £649:cool:

alsina

Prominent Member
SD performance on the S10 is in fact just as good as X10, in fact with its better black levels, overall the SD picture on the S10 is better than the X10.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
SD performance on the S10 is in fact just as good as X10, in fact with its better black levels, overall the SD picture on the S10 is better than the X10.
But the S10 uses the last year's VReal3 i thought, which was used on the PZ80:confused:?

MJF1975

Standard Member
Not sure how that is relevant to the SD picture quality? The S10 certainly is much better with SD than last year's PZ80/81/85.

Picking up the S10 tomorrow :D - anyone know where I can find a thread with some settings or can I use those mentioned for the X10?

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Picking up the S10 tomorrow :D - anyone know where I can find a thread with some settings or can I use those mentioned for the X10?
I haven't heard of any S10 owners threads but i don't think you can use the X10 settings as the S10 uses different processing and resolution.

You can ask the X10 owners thread though, or see the two TVs side by side:cool:
I think you'll have to start a S10 owners thread:rotfl:
:hiya:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
But the S10 uses the last year's VReal3 i thought, which was used on the PZ80:confused:?

It uses Vreal pro 3, not Vreal 3, which is an improvement :thumbsup:

The S11 will be a comet (maybe Currys etc...) exclusive. No doubt it'll be the exact same TV but with a very slightly different design, maybe a silver line somewhere! It's how places like Comet and Currys get around price matching other places, but the larger number (11 instead of 10) makes it appear to be a better set so they can get away with charging the extra :mad:

Last edited:

MJF1975

Standard Member
It uses Vreal pro 3, not Vreal 3, which is an improvement :thumbsup:

The S11 will be a comet (maybe Currys etc...) exclusive. No doubt it'll be the exact same TV but with a very slightly different design, maybe a silver line somewhere! It's how places like Comet and Currys get around price matching other places, but the larger number (11 instead of 10) makes it appear to be a better set so they can get away with charging the extra :mad:

You are correct. Luckily, my brother in law works for Comet so I'll be getting a tidy little discount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom