• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PANASONIC TX-P42GT50B: BASIC QUESTIONS ....

KAMRAN MAZHAR

Standard Member
Hello Everyone,

Firstly, forgive me if my qu's are basic and have simple answers to.
Only recently i purchased my 1st Plasma TV to replace my fantastic
9 yrs old, Panny TX-36PD50 tube TV which i refuse to get rid off and
continues to be used in our 2nd room.

Here goes....

1/ Why when watching terrestrial HD channels it show as 1080i and not full 1080p?

2/ How can you list all the HD channels in order from channel 1 upwards on FreeSat?
Apparently you can do this on Freeview?

3/ I am still nowhere near the 200hr "breaking in" period. What exactly is this and will
it make a difference to the picture i am currently viewing?

4/ I have nothing to compare HD and Blu Ray viewing to coming from SD off my older set-up.
I am using the basic, yet good reviewed Panny Blu Ray player (BDT-130) and a recommended Audio Quest HDMI lead, but feel i could get a better picture. User reviews use words such as "Jaw dropping and amazing BRay viewing" but i feel a bit let down and find watching normal HD channels as clearer and more impressive. I only play original DVD/BluRays.

5/ Why are some BluRay better quality than others? Or some scenes in a film become grainy when all discs are originals.

6/ Others mentions calibration setting and blog there specific settings. Will i notice a significant difference to the standard factory settings im still using?

Many Many Thanks for showing me your patience and i await your helpful replies.
Kam

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Many HD channels are broadcast at 1080i rather than 1080p.

Regarding blu ray watching: more information might help us to help you. For example, which discs you have tried and which picture settings (picture mode/contrast/brightness/colour etc) you have used. Be sure your blu ray player is sending a 1920x1080 signal. It probably is, but if you haven't checked I would suggest doing so. Blu ray material can look fantastic on that set, but the wrong settings or a poor quality disc may result in a suboptimal viewing experience.

KAMRAN MAZHAR

Standard Member
Many many thanks Fluxo...

YES - definitely 1080p as the screen shows that as soon as the BRay disc starts playing and they are all originals from my Lovefilm subscription. Would you alter the picture settings you mention for every film i watch? There are some threads here that mention there ideal calibration settings, but surely this would vary from film to flim?

Your reply would be much appreciated,
Kam

fluxo

Distinguished Member
On the 42" GT50 I used the pro 1 picture mode, gamma 2.2, contrast & brightness 30, colour 27, sharpness 0, IFC and other "enhancements" off. Those are UK settings numbers. For blu ray "pure direct" on in combination with advanced chroma processing on the Panasonic blu ray.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
On the 42" GT50 I used the pro 1 picture mode, gamma 2.2, contrast & brightness 30, colour 27, sharpness 0, IFC and other "enhancements" off. Those are UK settings numbers. For blu ray "pure direct" on in combination with advanced chroma processing on the Panasonic blu ray.

fluxo

Distinguished Member

fluxo

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom