Panasonic TX-P42G20B PC resolutions?

Grandpa Flump

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the Panasonic TX-P42G20B supports a wide range of PC resolutions via the VGA port? I have googled this, but information is very limited and contradictory on the question.

One review says it only supports 1024x768, the manual simply states "@60hz 1920 1080". I'd like to play FPS games on it, but HDMI has very limited resolution choices. I'm hoping VGA will be more flexible and also support custom resolutions. That is 1024x768 - 1920x1080, with a good selection inetween.

Can someone who actually owns this TV and has checked please reply, as I need an answer from actual experience. I have pondered bringing a laptop with VGA cable to the shop and asking them if I can try for myself. Not sure how they'd take that though!

I briefly owned a TX-P42S20, and played via the HDMI, but I was stuck at 1920x1080, next choice was 1280x720 which is too low. My card was struggling at 1920 though, so I sent it back. I did love the 0 response time and no noticable input lag though. This is why I won't touch LCD with a barge pole.

Finally, how good is this model for burn in? They say they've virtually eliminated this issue. It's hard to believe that when the warranty won't cover it though. If Panasonic are so sure of this claim, their money should be where their mouth is.

Finally, how good is this model for burn in? They say they've virtually eliminated this issue. It's hard to believe that when the warranty won't cover it though. If Panasonic are so sure of this claim, their money should be where their mouth is.

It's extremely unlikely a Panasonic TV will suffer from burn-in when used as a normal TV. How many posts in the past couple of years in the plasma forum have I read anyone claiming the have had burn-in on their Panasonic plasma, one or two at most, out of many thousands of posts. And that's usually caused by having the same static logo displayed for days on end with over vivid settings.

For a TV manufacturer to guarantee a TV will not suffer from burn-in is in my opinion akin to a car manufacturer guaranteeing their cars will never crash. They will not do it, no matter how many safety features they build in to their products, they won't be held responsible for user error.

My P42X10 supports 1024 x 768, 1280 x something and 1366 x 768
Since mine is not the full HD model, i set it to the native resolution of 1024 x 7689

Are you using a desktop or laptop? Desktops are easier to configure as laptop screens have awkward resolutions.

In terms of image retention, if you are worried, try 'Auto-hiding' the taskbar, use Full screen reading on your browser. But I have never had any problems, using the PC on the plasma (which is about 1 1/2 years old) for at least 15 minutes at a time.

It would never be used for normal desktop use, only Fullscreen gaming with the PC. The problem in that regard is the likes of health bars/ammo indicators which are always in the same place.

Would exiting to the menu for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so help reduce risk, or do phospurs need longer to change than that. How does it work when the same image in on screen intermittently for hours on end? That is, never longer than 10 minutes, but only gone for a few seconds each time?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom